First Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally plucked up the courage to try turning some of the Walnut logs I was given.
This bowl is finished with sanding sealer and beeswax after sanding to 600 grit.
bowl1.jpg

bowl2.jpg

bowl3.jpg

bowl4.jpg

bowl5.jpg

bowl6.jpg

The logs have been seasoned for more than a year before I got them and seem to be dried out. I will leave this one for a few weeks before cutting any more from the stock to see if it warps or cracks more

Attachments

• bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bowl4.jpg
    bowl4.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bowl5.jpg
    bowl5.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bowl6.jpg
    bowl6.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 1,050
Looking good, I would definitely recommend you get yourself a can of chestnut's microcrystaline wax from Axminster or similar though, beeswax is very soft with a low melting point, it doesn't stay shiny for long and marks easily when handled, microcrystaline has a high melting point, has hard waxes incorporated into it and is much more resilient to handling, not losing it's finish etc. Thus your items will look better for much longer. \not cheap, but not ridiculous either and it goes a very long way.

Very nice bowl. The raised ring on the base is a good idea if warping is a possibilty. If it starts to rock on the table you can rub it on a sheet of abrasive on a flat surface until it doesn't.

Thanks for the tip Kim.

Can i still use it on this bowl even after the beeswax?

KimG":310i28r9 said:
Looking good, I would definitely recommend you get yourself a can of chestnut's microcrystaline wax from Axminster or similar though, beeswax is very soft with a low melting point, it doesn't stay shiny for long and marks easily when handled, microcrystaline has a high melting point, has hard waxes incorporated into it and is much more resilient to handling, not losing it's finish etc. Thus your items will look better for much longer. \not cheap, but not ridiculous either and it goes a very long way.
Kim is correct in every way its A Nice bowl I use the crystalline wax myself and never looked back its a real good finish when applied and outlasts most other waxes
regards
Bill

Back