festool ts55 v mafell mt55

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraseman999

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Hope you are all well.
I have only read good reviews about the festool ts55. Price of their stuff is very expensive though. Anyway whilst reading the reviews i found another the mafell mt55. There are not too many reviews on it, i did read one which said that it did not cut through worktop. I would be buying it for mostly board cutting. One guy said the festool is near perfect but the mafell has copied the festool and made even better.
So does anyone here have any experience?

Thanks in advance

Fraseman

Hi
Was in the same boat as you not long ago but ended up with the festool because of the extra guide rail you got free at the time, would not be without it now. Do not think you would be disapointed with either one you get it just comes down to price.

is the maffel out in the uk yet?
only just relised states and it cost more than festool

quick look and

blade change is diffrent, festool plunges mafell removes cover

-mafell has no riving knife
+ mafell has better depth scale
_ mafell dont cut bevel cuts on the guide cut line like the festool, it ofsets
_ mafell track,jointers are more expensive
+mafell works with festool track

mafell has 200w more power but is 800g heavier

not that much diffrence really, i have the ts55 and like it

I bought the mafell mt 55 last august, before that i used the smaller mafell with a 120mm blade
I really like it, it will cut about 50mm on the guide rail so cutting a 40mm worktop is no problem, its a very well engineered saw.

The only thing that im to keen on is lack of riving knife, but have said that i have ripped a lot of very long 1 1/2" oak boards with no problems ( that was the main reason for buying it)

I would recommened it, but once you own the saw there will be a project that comes along that requires a 3 metre track, then a 2metre track and joining piece and then some clamp and so it goes on

I would go for the Mafell. I have the smaller KSP55 and it is brilliant. I have three festool products, but I will not be buying anymore, I would choose Mafell everytime from now on. Don't get me wrong, the Festool is very good quality, but the Mafell tools are just that bit more robust for heavier duty use in my opinion. I would say that the Festool products are designed more for workshop and lighter use, whereas the Mafell tools are designed more for rugged site use. Just my opinion, I know plenty of people may disagree! But something to bear in mind, depending upon where and what exact tasks you will be using it for.

festool are designed for workshop use, they have a sister company protool for site tools, they dont sell in the uk tho

If you can afford the mafell I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But if you want to save a bit, I'd recommend the DeWalt. It cuts perfectly every time, I can't fault it.

speed":28et0l4g said:
festool are designed for workshop use, they have a sister company protool for site tools, they dont sell in the uk tho

Is that true? Never heard it before.

Watch this for a good rundown of the Festool and Dewalt, its pretty fair considering he is sponsored by Festool. I really quite like the WW now, didn't used to.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/81-dewalt-tracksaw-review/

Hi Folks,
Bought the mafell mt55. Not used it yet just fiddled around with it. looks a nice bit of kit.
Can anyone tell me why the saw does not lock in the blade down position or am i missing something. I would have thought when you plunge the blade you could lock it down.

Fraseman999":5hi5w50v said:
Can anyone tell me why the saw does not lock in the blade down position or am i missing something. I would have thought when you plunge the blade you could lock it down.
That's not how the DeWalt works - when you finish a cut, as you let release the saw (take your weight off of it) the blade retracts. I'd have thought it would be dangerous to leave the blade down.

plunge saws dont lock down thats not how they work you just hold them down. i own the ts55 that does lock down but only for changing the blade.

interesting that there appears to be some confusion between statements here that the bevel cut does not maintain the same position as the straight up cut and the impression gained from reading about that saw.

Can someone who actually uses the saw give a definitive view - do you have to move the rail or make some allowance when cutting a bevel cut in comparison to positioning the saw when making a normal 90 degrees cut?

Thanks

Miles

I know that with the Festool it cuts exactly on the edge of the guide rail when doing a bevel cut. Don't know about the Mafel never used or seen one.

i own a festool and it cuts on the edge,
i have read in reviews the mafell had a slightly diffrent tilt mech that dont cut on the guide edge, its just what ive read tho

speed":yo1th5yq said:
i own a festool and it cuts on the edge,
i have read in reviews the mafell had a slightly diffrent tilt mech that dont cut on the guide edge, its just what ive read tho

yes - that's the confusing bit as they (Mafell) seem to make a song and dance about that fact that it does but some posts seem to contradict this - hence asking if anyone who actually has one has any comment on it :)

Miles

Back