Electric motor sourcing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
I know how they work but that is all... and now i'm currently trying to see if i can get a replacement, if anyone can help.

I've contacted the store seller and their recommendations with no luck so thinking it's not possible.

It's from this cheap planer sold at screwfix... and it was my own fault the motor melted , i stupidly blocked the vent on the bottom of it and had it running for quite some time that it built up too much heat and melted.

Anyway...

The important stuff is...

230-240v 1500w
no load speed 9000/min

I'll get a pic up of the motor shortly

$_86.JPG

Exceptionally unlikely that you will be able to get one. It will have an integral gearbox to drop the speed and that will be bespoke to the machine.
Make your next machine one with an induction motor and then it is not likely to fail and you will likely be able to get a replacement.

Interesting answer Myford man.

I don't doubt your well-known expertise in any way, but what exactly is the problem (just for my info)?

Is the gearbox an integral casting (or moulding) with the motor itself? Isn't there any way to replace "just" the windings, commutator, and brushes, etc? Aren't all these "general purpose/multi use motors all more or less the same (physical) size? Would it all have got so hot that the (presumably moulded plastic) motor housing cannot be re-fitted with the "electrical guts" of some other similar size motor?

I don't have such a machine myself, but for sometime I've been "saving" the odd disused (but working) 240 universal motor from stuff like a useless leaf blower and a discarded domestic vacuum cleaner in the hope that "one day" I can build a few things like a better disc sander for the shop - just one example

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but "good, new/usable" motors are as rare as hens teeth second hand and/or very expensive new here, hence my "that'll come in useful one day" scavenging. You're not going to tell me that SWMBO was right to be disgusted with me skip diving in the local shops' disposal points are you? :D

AES

Myfordman":315lnsm3 said:
It will have an integral gearbox to drop the speed and that will be bespoke to the machine.
Make your next machine one with an induction motor and then it is not likely to fail and you will likely be able to get a replacement.

I took it apart and didn't see anything other than the usual metal work and windings.

I would love an induction machine but i'm a hobbyist with limited funds so they are a thing of dreams at the moment.

AES":315lnsm3 said:
Would it all have got so hot that the (presumably moulded plastic) motor housing cannot be re-fitted with the "electrical guts" of some other similar size motor?

Unfortunately it did get that hot... so hot the plastic moulding had deformed and the insides had seized together.

AES":xs8cg4si said:
Bad luck mate.

I wish it was but more my own stupidity... although it had been like that for 3 years it's just the fact that i only ever used it for 5 minutes at a time but on this occasion it was at least 30 mins.

Not my part but this is what the motor is like.... seems a simple straight forward thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is what i dug out my wood bin... would there be a problem with changing the shaft if there was a suitable part to use?

9fqg7c.jpg

106hd00.jpg

9gh8gh.jpg

Machines like this are considered disposable by the manufacturers and retailers. They are made down to a price thanks to factory mass production and cheap labour. They will be obsolete in one or two seasons when the factory will start churning out the "new improved" version. There isn't enough profit in them for anyone in the supply chain to spend money setting up more than the bare minimum spares backup.
Most people who buy these don't wear them out inside the warranty period. For those who do, the supplier will just replace it. It's a percentage game.
There's a lot of skill and labour time involved in repairing a motor. It soon ends up costing more than a new one. I paid £40 for a (good) reconditioned armature to repair a favorite quality tool recently. I thought i'd got a good deal but that tool was worth £200 to me. The few stockists who keep them would have charged me £200 for a replacement motor. Not economic.
There are many small universal motors out there, undocumented except in the factories that made them. In principle you could transplant parts from one to another, or even the whole motor, but I would guess the odds of finding one (the right size which will adapt to the motor mount and put the right spindle end in the right place) at hundreds to one.

Good luck if you decide to have a go. Otherwise, watch ebay. £200 -£300 will get you an old but serviceable planer thicknesses with an induction motor. Cheers

Sell the machine for parts and put it towards a new one. Someone clever will buy it and modify with a new motor I am sure.

I think the threaded output shaft will make it extremely difficult to find a replacement new, you may get lucky on the secondhand market.
measure the PCD of the connection flange and the output shaft size and length. have a search on alibaba and the like, if all else fails the same motor is used in all of this design of jointer, so look for a machine thats dead for other reasons.

looking at your commutator, that motor is pretty much worn out anyway.

I shall be selling it and was thinking of getting a new one... it's cheap so up my street, as i've not found any problems with it... ok it's noisy but for the 5 minutes i use it i can cope.

If an induction planer thicknesser pops up, it would have to be a combination unit, then i would certainly look putting extra pennies aside for one.

Any recommendations on the used market?

8squared":3w1uw0p7 said:
This is what i dug out my wood bin... would there be a problem with changing the shaft if there was a suitable part to use?
I used to make units similar to yours in batches of 200 - 250. The shaft is not a replaceable component. You may possibly get a unit minus the bearings & fan but the cost is likely to be prohibitive either way, unless you can find a decent used one.
Just FYI this is what it involves: The shaft is knurled then the laminations & commutator are pressed onto the shaft. Insulated paper is inserted into the winding slots of the laminations. It is then wound, tested for faults & resin coated. The commutator is skimmed, the unit balanced & lastly the fan blade & bearings are pressed on.

That's very interesting Robbo, thanks.

In my case, the "idea" is somewhat different. I have a number of such "universal" motors which may, or may not be OK (they've been binned). My thinking was that surely, for economies of scale in manufacture, there must be a range of standard "sizes" (wattages probably), produced by the various motor manufacturers. Therefore the complete electrical inner sub assy (i.e. shaft complete with commutator, bearings, and fan, plus a suitable same-size outer fixed windings) can all belong together, even if not originally destined for the same motor.

The only "difference" is the outer (plastic) casing, designed to fit into whatever tool the motor is destined for. Therefore it ought to be possible, by collecting a bunch of cast off motors, to find a combination which fits together, so "mixing and matching" until one arrives at a complete working motor which one can then use for something else (my e.g. was a disc sander, but anything really). Is that not so? Or am I thinking "bunk"?

AES

Hullo CHJ. I understand what you're saying, and of course, up to now, the answer is NO! But my wife has! That's because she's got several tins full of all sorts & shapes, & sizes of buttons!

But OK, yes, it's a lot easier to find and store a collection of buttons than it is to store a collection of "old" motors. So I guess she was correct when she told me I was wasting my time (AND some storage space!!) diving into various stores' throw away bins!

Shame really, "SWMBO's right again" :D

AES

Back