dewalt 1751 ras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of these rather impulsively on ebay. Not sure I was desperate for one but I do have the space.

What do I need to look out for on this and given that i have a table saw I guess its best kept to ripping , trenching, tenons etc?

Any tips from users?

First, spend plenty of time setting it up.
Then set it up again.
If you do not have a manual then get one. All models are practically the same, so any model manual is better than none.
Keep the roller head tracks dry and clean, resin remover and wire wool to clean and graphite spray to lubricate. Never oil the roller head bearings.
Make sure the blade is sharp, not just OK, sharp. These motors are not powerful and will soon tire with a dull blade.
Get used to how the adjustments work, when some wear has occurred the tightening levers come to the end of their travel before the lock is complete, leading to less than perfect clamping into position, these locks and adjustment are infinitely adjustable ( for these purposes anyway )
Incorporate the table with a bench, one side or both for support of longer workpieces.
Rig up a box from ply or MDF to act as a waste trap behind the machine, feed in a 100mm extraction if you can.
Ignore the naysayers who will inevitably tell you that it is impossible to rip timber with the RAS, if it is perfectly true square and plumb with a good blade ( suited to ripping, not an 80 tooth crosscut blade) it will rip perfectly well, albeit slowly given the motor capacity, if any of the above criteria are not met then the blade will bind, burn chatter, lift the work, kickback etc. and it is these circumstances that frighten to death the people who do not or cannot set the machine up.
Blow out the motor and headgear regularly with an airline, these machines make and hold a lot of fine dust.
Fit an emergency knock off switch to the front of the machine if it does not have the dead mans handle type switch.
Mark out some red lines 8 inches either side of the blade path and train yourself never to get your hands in that area whilst the motor is running.
Enjoy it, the RAS is a great machine.

Thankyou Streepips.

By the way what is the difference between the DW1251 and the DW1751?

I agree with Streetpips, I also regret ever selling my 8081.
On the issue of the Motor I found out that the 'Pen Pushers' at Dewalt increased the size of the Blades by about two inches, without increasing the Motor Output, against the advice the the Engineers. That way they could sell a 'Bigger Capacity Saw' for little extra production cost.
I experimented with mine and fitted a 10" Blade in place of the standard 12" one. It made one hell of a difference to the way the Machine performed, the Motor ran much quieter and the Machine was a pleasure to use. Well worth considering I think.

The 1751 is a longer reach model. just about manage a 600mm kitchen worktop. Should be a 12" blade but as Studders suggests, fitting it with a 10" would make it a far more useful machine ( slightly less crosscut capacity though)

Studders.
Interesting to hear that you have done the blade swap, something I have thought about for ages but never got around to doing.
I have a 721 and never really got on with the 12" blade, and have plenty of 10" in the shop so will give it a go very soon and let you know what I think.

Streepips":3lbwpo23 said:
will give it a go very soon and let you know what I think.

Be interested to see how you get on and what Blade you tried. I only tried with a cheapo Silverline 10" Blade as I didn't want to waste money if it didn't work out. Even with the cheap blade it worked well.

And then I sold the saw... (twit twit twit.. slaps head. :oops: )

Only issue I can foresee is the guard size. However, I have a 125 and a 110 both in full working order ( just overhauled and reconditioned) that I can borrow the guards from.
I did have an Elu 1251 until last week but thats gone now.
It will either be a Trend or a Freud blade that goes on.

Actually, now you mention the guard... I used the existing Guard but...... I don't remember resetting the riving knife when I put the smaller blade on? Ooops :shock:

Well the riving knife is useless apart from when ripping anyway, timber does not close up cross grain.
When I rip on a RAS I always use wedges as separators because if the timber does nip and the kerf and knife are not exactly matched it will bind the blade anyway and as we discussed it does not take much to stall one of those motors.

Yeah, I did some rips with the smaller blade which went OK, fortunately. Completely forgot about the riving knife though, and it wasn't for the first time either. :oops:

Back