Decorated Ash Bowl- For critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of hours in the shed this afternoon with half an ash log :D
It got turned,burned,brushed,textured and painted. Its 7" wide.

decoratedash001.jpg

decoratedash002.jpg

decoratedash004.jpg

Comments and Critique welcomed.

JT

That's bright Johnny, good control of the colour separation, clean crisp look.

CHJ":290pnjap said:
That's bright Johnny........

I have another gallery selling my wares and they want colourful,modern arty type stuff(which is good because the other one likes more 'conservative' pieces)

Wizer, I must have led a too sheltered childhood as I have no idea what a 'SIMON' is :cry:

Sorry JT, I do like it. But I was too busy earlier looking to buy a SIMON on ebay :lol:

Another different looking piece JT :D
I think it would also look good with a gold leaf finish and perhaps with a little gloss finish on.
Keep em coming :D

It looks to be well turned, well textured, coloured etc. Definitely modern looking with all the different contrasting features.

No-one could ever accuse you of being in a rut could they :lol:

Pete

Morning Johnny,
That is a very startling piece and by sounds of your description has been attacked by all the forces of texturing in your arsenal. the vivid colours work well too surrounding the remaining natural centre bowl. Its good to hear you now have the two galleries needing poles apart items so it certainly gives you plenty of scope for experimentation as one or the other should have a place for all your workshop can provide.
Regards,
Ian

That is stunning !

looks to me like like a new fresh colourful bowl trying to get out of the old burnt exterior - like a butterfly getting out of its cocoon after the transformation from caterpillar.

edit - Can i just say also that when you keep you're texturing in a border like you have done here with the outer rim details - its looks a lot cleaner that when you don't - like in the red one you posted recently.

Regs
Loz

Thanks chaps for all of the comments :D

Jenx, good to see you're still with us 8)

Ian, the new gallery seem to really like some of my 'different' stuff :lol: ,its only been in there since Tuesday so I just hope they can sell some of it!

loz":2nipjhjg said:
Can i just say also that when you keep you're texturing in a border like you have done here with the outer rim details - its looks a lot cleaner that when you don't - like in the red one you posted recently.

Yes, I wish I had done the same there but thats the fun in trying new things, you learn all the time :D

Cheers JT

Vibrant modern looking shape...I like the way you have the clean
grain in the middle..& I'm guessing the pics do not do it full justice.

for me JT the piece is a bit too busy- i like the red and blue design and i like it with the black- i would have liked to have seen the red and blue around the rim with the black exterior of the bowl and the natural wood centre- dropping the arbortech altogether- another small point would be to also keep a natural wood foot/base as it tie's the inside to the out and it reduce's the risk of a black mark being left on a surface.

The idea of the all black outer(including the base) is to give the impression of the natural part in the middle with its raised edge to look almost like an insert and contrast with the rest.
Whenever I burn a piece I seal it as I cant see anybody wanting something that smells of charcoal and leaves their hands dirty!! So theres no chance of it leaving a mark anywhere :lol:

I also seal mine JT but i learnt the hard way a few years ago that over time they will leave a black mark and its just not worth the embarrassing phone call from the angry customer- Trust me

Thanks LW :D

cornucopia":1154md62 said:
I also seal mine JT but i learnt the hard way a few years ago that over time they will leave a black mark and its just not worth the embarrassing phone call from the angry customer- Trust me

Thanks George I'll bear that in mind in future

Back