Critique request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have (I hope) finished all the major Christmas things so started doing a few other things today. I need to make a range of goblets in different styles and so am running up some prototypes. Critique on shape and form would be appreciated. It's 9" tall and max dia, of 2 1/4. Basic thickness is 3mm. stem is 8mm. Wood is a S. American one, can't remember exactly what, I got a pile from a bespoke furniture maker. This one just has a quick polish to bring out the colour otherwise just sanded to 600. I can see one or two things I might change in the next few but would appreciate input form you guys

Thanks
Pete

Very smooth lines Pete, not quite sure about the proportions of the tulip lip to body length, might just be my preference for plain rims without the lip (brandy glass style) on my drinking glasses.

Attachments

• testgoblet1[1] (Small).jpg
    testgoblet1[1] (Small).jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Hi Bo,

I like everything apart from the stem.

Have you thought about making it longer, I feel that a longer journey up the stem to that beautiful shape would work very well.

I think the shape of the goblet works well for me and I like the tulp shape, the thickness also suits it very well and makes it elegant.

Nice work,

Lee.

Hi, like a few of the others have said, I too think personally the stem needs to be slightly longer, i think the stem should be longer than the bowl? love the shape of the said bowl, nice flowing curves and looks nice and thin too. Regards Darren

Thanks for the comments,
normally I'd run these off using the 2:3 ratio but have seen some in silver that were closer to 1:1 stem to bowl but as I say I don't personally feel I have got it right here somehow. Feels good in the hand but doesn't seem right to look at. Maybe it looks better after being emptied a few times LOL.

pete

Hi Pete,

I take from the end of your last comment that this will be used for drinking?

If that's the case then the stem size is probably right for balance reasons, but if it is to be ornamental then a long stem would look beautiful on this piece.

Maybe a little detail on the stem top and bottom, a little bead or something may look nice too.

Cheers,

Lee.

Yes they will all be for use. I need to make a number of different styles and shapes based to some extent on art deco and art nouveau styles but although they look simple they are deceptively difficult to get right. They don't always follow the 'golden ratio' and so need to be just so or they look wrong.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just measured this out and tried to get a sense of it 'in the hand', wow, I think this is a real stunner.

Totally overlooked the measurements in your original post but at this height I'll bet they are very beautiful and elegant.

My stem suggestions seem silly now, at 9" tall this is spot on, I'd be well happy to sup out of one of these on crimbo day, although as a tee toteler it would have to be fizzy pop :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

Thank you Le. It does feel good. When I make these I close my eyes and see what it feels like ( a trick I learnt working with a blind turner) and it feels right, just something is not quite right with it visually. May just be me.

pete

My opinion, FWIW, first knee jerk reaction was top heavy - just, but the more I look at it the better it looks, and IMHO any adornment with beads/grooves etc. would detract from it's simple shapely un-pretensious appeal. I like the colour too. :)

Hi Pete,

Bit frightening this! Its my first post in comment on another's work which, according to some, as I'm a new turner, is of little consequence. But as I've been making things in wood for 40 years I say ya boo sucks.

So, beauty as ever, is in the eye of the beholder and I like it! I like the tulip shape, agree with others that the shaft could be a little longer but feel that the base is slightly too small. That however, seems to be a general thing with me. The trend is for quite narrow bases on lots of things, especially hollow forms and vases whereas I like to see something firmly planted and want feel its not about to fall over. This is only a minor thing and overall I think its beautiful. (So does the wife!)

Look forward to seeing the final article. Enjoy your christmas drink.

Back after a second coating of looking at and the thing that stands out for me the most is the clean lines and curve flow from bowl to stem to base, such a pleasant change from the opposite which is often seen where beads etc. have been added, just because the turner could. Not averse to bead embellishment on a stem, in fact where an attempt has been made to replicate a minimal join bead created in the making of a fine glass piece it looks fine, but to me the feel of a drinking vessel should be such that it sits comfortably in the hand so that you loose its form in the grasp without any thought as to accommodating any protruding shapes between the fingers. (The complete opposite to a moulded item that is heavy and still caries the sharp lines of mould joins etc.)

I have a problem with heavy cut glass lead crystal for instance, not as a thing of beauty as far as the skill of producing but as a pleasant object to drink from, so thin and lightweight bowl always gets my vote.

This shape does feel good in the hand. I'll see what it is like when cleaned up and with it's mate. I'll make the partner anyway and then have another go. I need a selection of different forms and shapes so perhaps if the client likes them it will be fine. I suppose that I will never be fully satisfied with anything I make as I tend to work from something in my head and will never get it right. I need to take a leaf out of your book Chas and start measuring things properly LOL.
I deliberately left the beads off this one to try and get that soft curving effect from top to bottom and the flare at the top may be the problem, gives it a bit of a sharp edge there, perhaps either tone that down or not have a flair at all.

Pete

Pete, overall a very nice goblet, what do you think of making some fine details between the chalice and the stem?? My preference...))
Ad

Thank you Ad, I was deliberately leaving the shape one smooth run. I see what you mean and normally would do something like that, just wanted to try and get that non stop curving effect in it.

Pete

Pete what I usually do is place a form I am happy with on my scanner and print out a copy on stiff card and use it as a template, with any minor adjustments I want.
In the attached shot the three forms on the left are my preferences for holding.
The right hand tall flute is moulded and feels as though it intrudes on the hand.
The small liqure glass is a treat for dimensions but feels uncomfortable because of the stem/base moulding.
The small sherry works for me because the bowl is held not the stem.
The small plain lead crystal glass on the right is most uncomfortable to drink from because of the flared upper stem, held by the stem the bowl is top heavy, if you cradle the bowl in your hand the stem is uncomfortable in between the fingers, used at the table then picked up by the upper bowl/rim care is needed on placing it down as it's top heavy.

Attachments

• DSCN22581024.JPG
    DSCN22581024.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 570
There is definitely a dichotomy between hat is pleasing to the eye and what is comfortable to hold isn't there. Personally I prefer the smooth lines as you seem to Chas both for looks and for holding. Being top heavy is also something that I need to take into account. As a rule I make the foot 2/3rds the diameter of the top but if the bowl is larger this can sometimes be a bit off balance when full. I'll get it right...eventually, trial and error and hope people like the ones I don't LOL.

pete

I've got a half a dozen or more differing forms Pete, perhaps an evening filling and emptying them all, just for comparison purposes mind, could resolve any dilemmas. :lol:

Strange thing is this one feels fine and well balance and sits comfortably in the hand, go figure, perhaps it's down to proportions.

Attachments

• DSCN2263.JPG
    DSCN2263.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 558

Latest posts

Back