Cotoneaster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut a dead branch off a garden plant, and it was very hard to cut.

Later on, I noticed that the wood was very dense and heavy, even after drying (on the firewood pile).

Sadly, the logs had checked badly during drying.

Some trials in the workshop reveal the timber to be extremely dense, hard, dark coloured
and fine grained.

Have I discovered a good material for handles?

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of cotoneaster as a timber, not a garden plant?

Here's the plant:

http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/plan ... aster.aspx

BugBear

Watch out for the barbed thorns. They get stuck in your skin and can go manky & runny. I use small bits of stems for turned apple stalks. Haven't tried turning it though.

Tazie, I think that you may be refering to pyrocanther, a lovely wood to turn but if you have 75 yards of the dammed stuff you learn very quickly just how bad the enormous thorns can be. It ain't called firethorn for nowt.

Cotoneaster doesn't have any thorns. We have a load of it in the garden, but I am not allowed to attack it very much and haven't tried turning it, but as you say, it is hard.

Could be. We had loads in the garden when I was a kid & the old dear referred to it as cotoneaster. There's a nice example of it in the corner of our garden now with those 10 foot long thorns. I attack it with the chainsaw every too often to keep it under control.
Firethorn is a far better name for it.

Or even pronounced kəˈtoʊniːˈæstər :shock: :shock: but that's wiki fer yer?

You must have some strange plants on your side of the world Tazi? None of our have thorns of any kind. I want to attack a patch at the bottom of our garden that's about 30 foot or more deep and 10 foot high. I'm not sure just what's living in there though? Could be a load of travelers for all I know :? :?

Back