Cindy Drozda box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Right then, I've had this lathe for some months now with the intention of making turned boxes and have a go every now and then, after some practise and making a few boxes I decided to get the Cindy Drozda video, practised with some Hemlock offcuts and finally decided to have a go at one and this is the result, it is a piece of Jarrah (railway sleeper) and the inlay is Lime.
It is about 80mm in dia and 100mm high, bigger than what she makes but what can you get in a diddy little box?
The finial is not as refined as hers but I still need a little more finesse for the small delicate stuff.

Jarrah .jpg

Jarrah 1.jpg

Jarrah 2.jpg

Andy

Attachments

• Jarrah .jpg
    Jarrah .jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 951
  • Jarrah 1.jpg
    Jarrah 1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 951
  • Jarrah 2.jpg
    Jarrah 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 951
I like the use of two colours and the overall shape of the box. My only comment would be, as you have observed, that the finial is a little too bulky for the size of the box (it reminds me more of a chess piece than a finial!).

The turning looks to have been done very well, and if you have only been turning for a few months you should be very proud of this piece.

Well done you for a newbie that is blooming well done the turning and finish would put some long term turners to shame fantastic who cares about the finer details that will come in time

That looks pretty good to me, though now chess pieces have been mentioned I can see what he means. I hope to have the space for a lathe later this year and if I can get as good as that within months I will be well chuffed.

I like it too - and would point out that the detail you have achieved on the finial rather scuttles you argument that you need more finesse!

Given Cindy's fame for fine finials I look forward to seeing more.

When you see hers you will see what I mean although some of them are just a couple of mil thick http://www.cindydrozda.com/Assets/html/Gallery.html
Can't see much longevity in ones that are so thin but then when you reach a certain standard I suppose you need to push the boundaries and it is something to aspire to, I think the thing which would change this one is the shape of the bulbous bit, if it were a bit slimmer I think it would make all the difference, I have some more wood!!!!!!!!

Andy

Cindy's work is an inspiration, I love all her work and aspire to create stuff that is as close to her standard as I can, it takes time and quite a bit of wood as for me at least I find myself discarding far more than I complete, yet the process is fascinating.

I really understand your desire to do similar things and this example is really very good, you have a very nicely balanced shape to the bowl, the insert is very well executed and the overall finish is very good indeed, as for the finial, it is perfect for the item, yet I do know that you would want it to be more, that is the nature of the game though, we turn stuff with an ideal in mind, mostly we just miss it, yet the result is well within the bounds of acceptable and beyond, but personal satisfaction truly comes when we achieve the goal we were aiming at. Just keep on doing what you are doing, you will not be long in doing that very thing.

KimG":3ehtsz1s said:
I really understand your desire to do similar things and this example is really very good, you have a very nicely balanced shape to the bowl, the insert is very well executed and the overall finish is very good indeed, as for the finial, it is perfect for the item, yet I do know that you would want it to be more, that is the nature of the game though, we turn stuff with an ideal in mind, mostly we just miss it, yet the result is well within the bounds of acceptable and beyond, but personal satisfaction truly comes when we achieve the goal we were aiming at. Just keep on doing what you are doing, you will not be long in doing that very thing.

excellent summary of a turner's thought processes! =D>

there are so many levels to the 'production' of every piece (hammer)

KimG":35aqhvns said:
Cindy's work is an inspiration, I love all her work and aspire to create stuff that is as close to her standard as I can, it takes time and quite a bit of wood as for me at least I find myself discarding far more than I complete, yet the process is fascinating.

Kim,

You have it in one. Perfection is a distant goal for me at the moment but having something to aim at, and getting some sort of result is enough for me at the moment, I have noticed with each little box I do that the improvement is huge, I try to imprint on my mind where things go wrong and do it differently next time.
Criticism from other turners, especially those who have been doing it for many years is mainly about the design of a piece and is useful for future pieces especially when you are doing these things on your own, having someone to talk to and get some guidance on tool techniques is my main problem at the moment, once I have that licked I think the finesse over the design will come easier.

Andy

Back