Box joint jig sketchup plans free of charge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's everybody getting on with their build?. Dennis, any more photos?

This is where I am. Just need to do the clamp face to the sliding carriage and I'm ready to start. I'm curious, what threaded rod has everyone gone for? I'm using a standard M10, which I think has a pitch of 1.5mm. I will measure it shortly. I have a nice fine tooth blade which is around 2.8mm but with a pass back and fourth will be circa 3mm when it makes its cut. ie two turns of the handle. Well that's the theory. Time will tell when I get it working.

Attachments

• IMG_7907_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7907_resize_resize.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7910_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7910_resize_resize.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7913_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7913_resize_resize.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7916_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7916_resize_resize.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7919_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7919_resize_resize.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7922_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7922_resize_resize.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7928_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7928_resize_resize.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7929_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7929_resize_resize.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7931_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7931_resize_resize.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_7933_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7933_resize_resize.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,270
kinsella":3l6qkpld said:
How's everybody getting on with their build?. Dennis, any more photos?

Sadly no more photos, after fiddling with the cam and trying multiple stops on it, it just wasnt working. I also thought it was too small to be able to handle work pieces of the sizes I wanted so the jig has been disassembled and the pieces saved for use elsewhere.

Building Matthias Wandels box joint jig now instead.

looking good Kinsella.

That's a shame Dennis. I think it's all down to matching the spindle thrad with the thickness of your blade. Good luck with the Matthias version.

I'm toying with the idea of rigging a stepper motor up to the threaded rod and having a simple bit of software running on an Arduino or Raspberry Pi that you just punch in your blade width, piece width, required joint size etc.. and then hit a single button in between passes and it auto winds on (or even auto-detect passes). Should give more precise partial turn options.

Of course first I need to knock down my old brick shed, get some tree stumps removed and some foundations down for a new workshop. My table saw is in the garage at the moment and I can't really use it.

Defs
That sounds very technical. Why do I have a vision of wallace and gromit about your description. :)

See today's progress. I haven't added a stop yet but was eager to play with it so did a very quick and dirty pass on some waste wood. Its looking good. But you can see that my blade and threaded rod match.

Attachments

• IMG_7941_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7941_resize_resize.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_7945_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_7945_resize_resize.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,227
sort of. Its an M10 rod and a blade that's a smigen under 3mm (2.8mm), but with the play in the sled i can make it 3mm. As you can see from the test piece, I've got it working there or there abouts. Now need to do the stop and the cam stop to let me know when i have a full rotation. That's tomorrow. On hols for two weeks, its my birthday week and spending it in the shed between family bits. I'm in heaven!!!

Back