Bow Fronted Cupboard - at last.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
After what seems like ages I have finished my bow-fronted cupboard.

In the summer I started with:-
Use of a Circular Plane
circular-plane-help-required-t72692.htm

Moved on to:-
A Curved Plinth
#p802196

And most recently:-
A Curved Door Panel
#p807899

Well I can say now it is finished!
Bow Front Cupboard #1 Cropped .JPG

Mainly done with hand tools I enjoyed most of it. I used an electric dirll for the various holes and router for the double ended mortice and tenons in the door frame joints. Otherwise a number of hand tools that had lain un-used for, well years really. Circular plane, as earlier, Record 050C plough and assorted drawknives. Oh! and a home made frame saw for the curved cuts. The finish is a staining Polyurethane varnish, which I don't have the skill to get the results I wanted with, and will not be using again.
The best bit? I sourced all the timber from around the house, odd bits of scratty softwood. I'm quite pleased with the result.
Thanks for looking.
xy

Attachments

• Bow Front Cupboard #1 Cropped .JPG
    Bow Front Cupboard #1 Cropped .JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,628
Hi, That looks great.
Love the fact it's made from bits and bobs from round the house, very nice.

I wish I'd made that! It looks really good. It must feel very satisfying to do something that pushes beyond the ordinary and familiar.

And I like the way the hinges line up with the bead; just right.

That's very nice, and it proves the point that you don't have to buy expensive hardwoods to build good looking quality furniture for the home. I wish I could.

Wow! Thank you all. I must admit that I like to try to push myself now and again. Hence the bowed frontage, new and interesting problems to sort and solutions find. Keeps the old brain ticking over. Often the hardest part of doing something like this, or anything else for that matter, is starting. The first pencil line of a drawing, the first cut of a carving etc. My biggest problem is too much thinking, you don't get anything done by thinking alone. I have to keep telling myself to just GET ON WITH IT.
Thanks again all,
xy.

xy mosian":2uzz4deh said:
My biggest problem is too much thinking, you don't get anything done by thinking alone. I have to keep telling myself to just GET ON WITH IT.

While I agree with this wholeheartedly I've also found that if I plan the work well enough beforehand it can vastly increase my productivity in the workshop. Almost reduces it to just cut out and assemble. Still don't get around to doing much though, but I can dream :roll:

Mike, I agree about planning. I have a problem knowing when to stop planning and start making.
Keith, Recycling? I thought I was just being a cheapskate, ( with the other editor I could put a smilie in here).
Thanks Grayorm. I'm quietly chuffed.
xy

Now that's a nice piece of work - top marks from me sir. I do like curves, so perhaps I'll have to break out my compass plane again and try to make something complicated like that. Great for inspirational purposes. Thanks for posting

John

xy mosian":2yh56z85 said:
After what seems like ages I have finished my bow-fronted cupboard.

I'm quite pleased with the result.

And so you should be.
To me that looks like a really professional piece of work.
I have to build something very similar next year so will be going through some of those threads again.

John, As a boss of mine continually said:- " It's not complicated, just a large collection of simple tasks. ". If it inspires you to get stuck in that's great news.

Graham, thanks. I'm no expert, and you won't need help, but if you want to bounce an idea just get in touch. If I can remember how I'll happily natter about the making.
xy

Latest posts

Back