Axminster Bench Morticer 220 quid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Axminster have their hobby morticer on offer at the moment.

<www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-aw16bmst2-bench-morticer>

I have the older version of this, and really like it.

Some things of note:

1. Mine came with a reducing collar so that it takes two sizes of chisel shank. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I've had no problem finding chisels for it, despite the comments on the Axminster page.

2. The work clamp is vastly improved if you stick sandpaper to it with D-S tape. At that point it's brilliant.

3. Using good extraction right next to the chisel slot really helps in softwood. It is a low power motor - good enough for the job but there's not much spare. I've had it stall in damp softwood (don't ask - it wasn't fine cabinetry!), but helping the chips clear easily is a good idea.

4. The raiser block and drill chuck adaptor are both handy, and, given you get free postage on the main unit, it might be worth getting them at the same time. There's only a sleeve bearing for the drill chuck shaft, so it does need oil fairly often.

Just sayin'...

E.

(other morticers are out there, but I really like mine!)

Hi Eric. Sorry for dragging up an old post. I've just ordered an Axminster bench mortiser (AW16BMST2) for 'my' Christmas present.

It was between the Charnwood W316 and the Axi AW16BMST2 like wot you've got.

The Charnwood has it on the side to side table movement by 75 (175mm to the Axi's 100mm) and also the front to back movement by 35mm (75mm to the Axi's 40mm). However with the riser block the Axi has it by 40mm.

Getting the Charnwood delivered to Shetland was a nightmare - one well known company quoted £136!!!!!!!

So that's where Axminster always comes out top for me. They are delivering it for £48, so I can't complain.

I'm aware that companies use the same factory and re-label them. This is definitely the case with the Charnwood and Axminster machines. I've compared manuals and photos and they appear to be speaking about the same machine, with the exploded parts breakdown diagram being exactly the same drawing in each manual.

The only thing I can see different between them, is the large wheel handle for the side-to-side movement.

I'm just confused as to why the Charnwood machine would have more movement on the table when the components 'appear' to be exactly the same.

I wonder Eric, if either Charnwood or Axi have their side-to-side and forward and back movements sizes wrong? or are they a slightly different components being used to move the tables?.

I note what you say about the collar insert. It's no longer available at Axminster, however Charnwood still supply the collar that increases the shank size, so I'm going to order it as I'm pretty positive it'll fit (if it doesn't, well it's only £6.50 or something like that).

I don't understand the reviewer on Axi that stated that it was difficult to get a hold of 5/8th sized bits - a basic Google search throws up enough. Axcaliber do the 5/8th bits - that's good enough for me.

I'll definitely try the sandpaper trick to the clamp faces - a good tip thanks for that.

I'll tell you how I get on in the new year!

Regards

Jonny

Latest posts

Back