Ash Hollow form "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
Sticking with the yellow and orange but i little bit more subtle i think.
The hole in this one is a bit bigger than i wanted but as the wood dried it deformed quite a bit so i had no choice.
110mm x 120mm Sanded to 600 grit Colored with chestnut spirit stains
Buffed off the lathe and finished with Renaissance wax.

DSC01321-1.jpg

DSC01322-1.jpg

I like the colour of this one George, but preferred the form of your previous on on the 12th - The tall yellow one .

Regs

Laurence

I like the colouring on this one George. Yellow\Red\Orange is a combination I like generally and it looks good on this wood. The form is nearly perfect there's something that doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps the transition between the long lower curve and the upper shoulder curve is a touch clunky.

My usual exclaimer that, it's better than anything I could produce in a century of Sundays, applies.

=D>

Hi George

The form is nice and flowing from the base and I like the way you have tucked it in so that a shadow is cast giving it a light feel.

For me the flow from the shoulder into the neck is wrong.

There is a slight change of flow near the neck which breaks the flow of line/energy/direction.

I like to make a decision when I am finishing a neck. Either flow it in from the shoulder tight and then flow up in a obvious direction change, making it obvious. Or continue the flow of the shoulder curve in one continuous line.

Either way it is a nice form but may be if you look at this refinement it may add a little somthing.

You have mentioned the size of the hole.

As for the colour that is subjective so I don;t have much to say about that.

Orange/red is a difficult colour to photograph as it throws the colour into the back ground and can over colour the picture.

Nice work .

Back