Another Grand Day Out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to Mac Timbers open day again today and had some esteemed company; quite a few fellow forumites made the pilgrimage and it was very good to put some faces to names at last.

Richard Arnold advises Andy T that the plane he is holding is "upside down".
DSCN0677s.jpg

Mike's Thing in the Garage is bigger than mine - and so is the garage. A big, square block of Wellingtonia ..
DSCN0681s.jpg

.. no problem.
DSCN0682s.jpg

Andy T and Douglas watch as it started to rain.
DSCN0683s.jpg

A nice big wardrobe door.
DSCN0684s.jpg

Mike's other thing in his other garage ...
DSCN0688s.jpg

0.5 tpi :shock:
DSCN0689s.jpg

Having just had a demo - Douglas, Jimi, yours truly, Andy T
DSCN0690s.jpg

Talking planes having been joined by Tim Smith and three of his gorgeous mitres.
DSCN0696s.jpg

Three lovely mitres and three (will he ever finish one?) bench planes. Sorry I didn't get a better picture Tim.
DSCN0697s.jpg

The gates of heaven ajar: From left to right: Tim Smith, Douglas, Jimi, Brian Jackson, Andy T, Bill Carter and NOT Roy Underhill, no matter how I try; gazing in awe at the wonder of ToolsnTat. Sorry not to get you in Andy - you were round the back getting more axes out. Jim is reaching for his wallet but they turned out to be all right handers.
DSCN0698s.jpg

A FANTASTIC day. Thanks for coming everyone. I'll post my Walnut stash later...

So disappointed I couldn't make it. :(

The July event was always going to be the one I would struggle to make; looming unmissable deadlines this week and next, but I thought I would be able to make enough progress to have a day off... no such luck!

Still, it looked like a great day out, good opportunity to put faces to names and those mitres, Bill Carter... b*ll*cks! Self -employment sucks sometimes!

El.

Sorry you didn't make it El - I can confirm what a great day it was - so many lovely things to look at, so many interesting and generous people to talk to. I was talking so long that I missed the barbecue and had to squeeze my shopping into the last few minutes - a sort of woody supermarket sweep!
Thanks again to Richard and Mrs Doyle for making Xmas happen in July!

Like a kid in a sweetshop...is the only way to describe how I felt today...and to top it off...sharing all the Walnut Whips with my mates who I have met for the first time! Weird and wonderful!

I also forgot my camera so thanks to Emma for the photos! Richard would try to tell you that he took them and that it really was Roy Underhill in those pictures...don't believe him! :mrgreen:

Mike at MAC Timbers and his wonderful family/team :mrgreen: were superb hosts....and various exhibits added to the fun in the village hall next door.

Great control was exercised by yours truly at Brian Jackson's chisel shop...I have no idea how at the moment! :oops: but he did say when we introduced ourselves...OH! You're the "Gabriel Man!".....ok guys and gals...who spilled the beans!? I am now very worried about this slope as not only did he say this but Richard and Andy then presented me with the two little gems in this picture...

DSC_2135.JPG

Two wonderful hollows/rounds from some obscure ( :mrgreen: ) maker....

DSC_2137.JPG

J.Henson going where ANGELS fear to tread....and....

DSC_2138.JPG

....a little more of a clue in this one!

These are standing not only on some "little" bits I happened to pick up from one of the other "sweetshops" at MACs....but also some beautiful WYCH ELM...given to me by Richard and Emma...along with another little secret...which I will leave until much later! 8)

I finally got to meet my hero...Bill Carter...and spent ages but far to little time talking to him and Sarah and admiring his collection of superb planes...and finally seeing in the flesh this little beauty...

46+th+48.jpg

(Photo: Bill Carter Fine Planes)

This may be a little clue as to RichardT's other secret...and that huge lump of Burr oak in the top picture.

I also got to see a wonderful bog oak plane by Tim...the accolade being...Bill bought one of his planes...now that says something! Did anyone get a picture?

Even a major shower of many hailstones did not dampen the day...absolutely brilliant to meet my internet friends here at last...their real personalities and friendship even outstripping their internet personnae...and with the added bonus of Richard's wonderful wife Emma...it was a day I would highly recommend to everyone next time it comes up....

And no...I didn't buy any tools from Andy (toolsantat)...I just stood in awe looking at his collection of unique tools...as did we all.

Really sorry you couldn't make it Scouse...we missed ya mate!

Thanks everyone...GREAT DAY indeed! =D>

Jimi

Yes, we missed you El .... I'm sure we'll do it again.

Here is that Walnut in full:

DSCN0699s.jpg

DSCN0702s.jpg

And this bit, the picture does not do justice - it's so dark ... (where it's not sapwood..)
DSCN0703s.jpg

A good job we had enough petrol, this lot cleaned us out. It's that kind of place.

I got a present from Jim too ... a small chisel. But it deserves it's own thread ... I'm actually having trouble trying to get a photo that conveys just how small it is... maybe I need a better camera .. 8)

WOW Richard...you weren't kidding mate! That is some haul of walnut!

That last piece instantly reminded me of something...and then I realised...

It's like a piece of jigsaw from an Alphonse Mucha painting....

mucha99.jpg

Re chisel...suggest use of panoramic camera!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Yes, that's spot on Jim - Alphonse Mucha, or Klimpt maybe ..

Andy T wrote: "Thanks again to Richard and Mrs Doyle for making Xmas happen in July!"

Thank you very much for coming Andy.. it was a bit like that - a white Christmas even:
DSCN0695s-1.jpg

Brilliant day (remarkably calm journey Jim). Shame you couldn't make it Scouse but there will be more I expect.
Here's a Gang of Four:
mac1.jpg

(sorry, over-exposed, walking backwards etc)

And here is one of Tim's planes... bit of a stunner. I gather even Mr Carter was impressed and he's none too easy to please:
mac2.jpg

Note everything about it, but even the engraving... perfect.

And it was like Christmas, pressies all round (almost). Sorry Richard, I'll get on with yours soon as Jumps has done with the tool required.
Richard gave me a later version holdfast to have a play with - small revisions that definitely make a difference. I'll report back later on the very long holdfast thread.

It was a good sign that the day flew by - had good chats with almost everyone there (except the lady doing the Pyrography signs... ran out of time).

Would definitely do it again - thanks for being the initiator Richard.

Attachments

• mac1.jpg
    mac1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2,007
  • mac2.jpg
    mac2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,007
Richard T":2v4a55ez said:
Having just had a demo - Douglas, Jimi, yours truly, Andy T
DSCN0690s.jpg
Jimi was there ? Where? I can't see that bright yellow top anywhere....

I'll get me coat... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann

Did anyone notice Jim's swagger on that pic of mine above. Had it not been for the presence of the charming Emma in the shot, I would probably have done a Reservoir Dogs quip... seriously, check the posing of the 3 of them, very Tarantino.

Hmm... I like to think I have a Harvey Keitel-esque quality. Actually, probably more like Tim Roth's voice coach. You know, the one who got shot...

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

In the second that you were taking that photo Douglas, I thought 'this is going to look like Reservoir Dogs .... some one will say - Reservoir Bench Dogs more like' ... and when coats have been got, someone else will say that Tarantino was nodding to Kubrick with that scene" ....

mac1.jpg

a-clockwork-orange-poster-movie-24x36-alleyway-6790.jpg

The above is, of course, after the receipt of Jim's Chisel.

I do hate to stray off-topic... but you and I know there is absolutely NOTHING clockwork about Alfie.
I had always associated clockwork with a certain predictability :lol:

ALFIE has taken great interest in the piece of lilac I bought at MACs....he seems very attracted to the smell...

It was a nightmare when I was turning it because he keep trying to sniff and see....not exactly H&S!

Anyway...thought I might show you guys what that tiny piece of lilac made....

DSC_2146.JPG

I had made one before out of bog oak but it was too small for woodies and infills...

DSC_0209.JPG

...and since I now have quite a "few" woodies.... :oops: and a couple of infills.... :oops: :oops:

DSC_2151.JPG

....this one will do the job perfectly!

What a wonderful wood this is...I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to perfume the workshop...smell like Boots the Chemist...and have a very fine, almost marble like finish on their work.

I shall be purchasing more of this very very soon!

Jim

Hi, Jim

I have some lilac bushes at the bottom of the garden, I have dried some out for using, made a pair of candle sticks a screwdriver and some earrings, it turns well as you have found.

The only photo I can find is of the earrings
DSC_0011.jpg

I have some more drying at the moment and will be cutting it back this autumn to get more.

Pete

I suspect lilac is about to go the way of the Maas, Corro-dip and the Record 043... if you have a tree in the garden it has just doubled in value :wink:

Latest posts

Back