A new line for Philly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of one of the current jobs, the Alan Peter's music stool, I needed to convert a standard woodie into a convex soled plane in order to dish the seat top. I started by marking out the curve and planing it:

Planingcurvepic1.jpg

roughly to shape with my existing woodie, after which the LV LA jack was used:

Almostfinishedplaningsandingnextpic.jpg

to complete the shaping and it was then sanded to remove the last few ridges on the sole. Next the iron was offered up to the mouth and the curve marked with a pencil on the back. It was then ground to profile:

MrCscurvedbladegrindingjigpic3.jpg

using MrC's excellent jig on the Tormek. This is usually 'by guess and by God' but on this occasion I got it spot on, with a pic here of the:

Completedironpic4.jpg

completed blade, the chipbreaker can then be fitted with a bit of cunning filing and fettling. The big problem is then that the mouth is curved in two planes owing to the curvature of both the sole and the iron...so the plane needs to me re-mouthed! Here's the jig for cutting the recess, note the oriental 'drive by':

Jigtocutmouthrecesspic5.jpg

with the completed 'hole' nicely cut:

Mouthinsertcutpic6.jpg

after which, with a lot of careful fettling, the new mouth insert can be fitted:

Newinsertfittedpic7.jpg

complete with some slotted screws so that if needed the mouth can be closed up a fraction...it's less than a mm here. However, as the finished woodie won't stand up properly now on the bench, it needs a:

Completedplanepic8.jpg

dedicated holder and the final shot is the new woodie with one I made earlier :p

Woddiejackwithmapleplanepic9.jpg

This is a useful mod to do to a wooden jack if you intend to do any concave work...fitting the insert for the mouth is the trickiest part (took me about two hours) - Rob

Thanks for the excellent pics, Rob. I have one on which I need to do a similar conversion, so that's really helpful (particularly the mouth bit).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Nice work Rob.

I think it's superb when an old(er) tool is modified to carry out a specific job for a particular project.

Cheers

Karl

Good job Rob. WellsWood made one of these a little while back in a similar fashion, but he free handed his blade. I think his original inspiration was from your competition entry a few years back. It's a great idea and, as others have said, a great use for an old unused woody.

That looks great, Rob. I particularly like the adjustable mouth. :)

I wonder how many people will be entering the competition in British Woodworking? I'm certainly up for it! :D

...and before some smart pineapple comes out with

"where are the shavings then?...hmm?" :lol:

001small-3.jpg

15 minutes with the new woodie and one seat roughly dished. Works for me :wink: - Rob

Nice fire-lighting fodder :D

Edit - the shavings, not the plane :D

Rob when looking at that AP stool I was thinking ArborTech. But this actually looks more fun and much easier to control. I'll save the AT for something a bit more rustic ;)

wizer":1qpj07by said:
Rob when looking at that AP stool I was thinking ArborTech. But this actually looks more fun and much easier to control. I'll save the AT for something a bit more rustic ;)
Tom, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that AP used the table saw to remove most of the waste and then finished it off with the wooden curved sole jack. Removing the waste didn't take long and was quite therapeutic, the long winded part was converting the jack, which I started yesterday afternoon. Having sorted out the jack, it's now available for other jobs where a dished or concave surface might be needed.
With the smaller one in maple, I've now got two convex soled planes with different sweeps on the sole - Rob

Yes, well he terms it 'Circular Saw' which I too assumed as the TS, using the diagonal fence technique. The other way, which I used on an early failed project that I copied from Adam the mod, was to use the TS to take a series of kerfs at graduated depths. Then knock out the waste and clean up with scrapers. But your method is probably much quicker once you have the plane made. Many ways to skin a cat.

Well done Rob!
I suppose that is how a lot of tools, if not all, evolved, have task ... make tool. Must be a great feeling to have achieved exactly what you set out to do.

xy

Nice work Rob.

What i think is especially good is I don't know if that moulding/shape could be made by machine? It looks to big for a spindle and i'm not sure a cnc could get the finish. So your solution is one of the few ways to achieve it.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows any mechanised ways to achieve the smae result

Good job, Rob!
I made a pair of Jacks for a customer a little while ago, Beech with Rosewood totes, etc. One was straight, the other had a convex sole for coopering doors - convex soled planes are a lot of fun to use!
If you need one making you know where to come.... :wink:

jacks2.jpg

Philly :D

Mattty":2l90c9t5 said:
Nice work Rob.

What i think is especially good is I don't know if that moulding/shape could be made by machine? It looks to big for a spindle and i'm not sure a cnc could get the finish. So your solution is one of the few ways to achieve it.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows any mechanised ways to achieve the smae result

I seem to remember reading in a router book by Jeremy Broun (sp) of a pendulum router jig that did a similar thing, but Robs stool may be a little concave for that as the router base may get in the way.

Edit - If you look here you can see the big ply jig that I think I mean? :?:

http://www.woodsite.supanet.com/page7.html

Mick

I really like that idea...and I have JUST the candidate....

You guys just keep on giving ideas to me and I end up making all these tools and SOMETIME I am going to have to start using them in anger!

I have JUST the job for that little idea...brilliant job there Rob!

Luvit!

Jim

woodbloke":11nvhuuz said:
...and before some smart pineapple comes out with

"where are the shavings then?...hmm?" :lol:

001small-3.jpg

15 minutes with the new woodie and one seat roughly dished. Works for me :wink: - Rob

How effective (or not) do you think a normal scrub would be for the early stages of waste removal in that project?

With it's narrow body and blade, and considerable blade projection a scrub can work quite a substantial hollow.

BugBear

Back