Who is in and who is out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric The Viking":1xe1sbao said:
This particular one started off unashamedly aimed at smaller children, but after an outcry was cancelled, only to reappear recently, changed into more wry humour aimed at young teenagers.

Even so, can you imagine any British government being allowed to further its own cause in this way, using public money? It's like something out of North Korea or Stalin's Russia.

Here's a classic from the recent genre:
http://www.captaineuro.eu/comic-strips/white-house-calling/

http://www.captaineuro.eu/

I was actually quite surprised to find it still available on an EU server.

Go figure.

You do know that .eu is like .co.uk don't you?

This is not a UK government site, for instance: http://maxi-muppets.co.uk/

And this is not an EU website: https://leave.eu/

RogerS":jeg42q56 said:
Rhossydd":jeg42q56 said:
RogerS":jeg42q56 said:
Many people outside London felt disenfranchised.
Particularly ironic given how much of the EU spending in Britain went to the provinces. Do they think that Westminster is going to replace all those EU subsidies with cash from UK tax payers when we leave ?

I think you are getting confused. Feeling disenfranchised has diddly-squat to do with any subsidies.

Yes, very confused, and not for the first time :lol:

The EU subsidies are only the EU giving back a small part of the cash taken from UK tax payers in the first place! :roll:

RogerS":3qu5d66s said:
Rhossydd":3qu5d66s said:
For anyone regretting 37% of the electorate trying to get us out of Europe might like to sign this
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Do you really think that another referendum will make any difference ? I don't think so. We might see a result that is a mirror-image and so then what do we do ? Best of three?

As I and others before me have said ....the votes been cast, so suck it up and deal with it.

Actually I have a feeling that it will, maybe by a swing as much as 10% the other way. However I don't think another referendum is the way to go and quite frankly I doubt I could stomach another.
I think the best course of action would be for the new leader to go back to the EU and negotiate a Norway style deal. Let's call it a get out of jail card, out but back in. Probably not what the electorate voted for but in the best interests of UK Plc.
It can always be upgraded or even downgraded later on.

Jake":3irx27gk said:
Eric The Viking":3irx27gk said:
This particular one started off unashamedly aimed at smaller children, but after an outcry was cancelled, only to reappear recently, changed into more wry humour aimed at young teenagers.

Even so, can you imagine any British government being allowed to further its own cause in this way, using public money? It's like something out of North Korea or Stalin's Russia.

Go figure.

OK, fair point. I had forgotten that .EU had changed.

But... it may be on just a commercial server now, However it was originally
commissioned by the EU and paid for by taxpayers, including all the print runs.

Eric The Viking":2abtulae said:
Jake":2abtulae said:
Eric The Viking":2abtulae said:

Go figure.

OK, fair point. I had forgotten that .EU had changed.

But... it may be on just a commercial server now, However it was originally
commissioned by the EU and paid for by taxpayers, including all the print runs.

.eu hasn't changed, it has always been commercial. The intergovermental one was .eu.int

It says on that site that they have never accepted EU funding. I can't be bothered to research more of your crocks of sunshine further than that.

paulm":1cwoc14t said:
Are you suggesting it would be more just for quite a bit less than 37% of the electorate, the Remainiacs, to keep the country in Europe when the rest didn't vote for that ?
No. I'm pointing out that 17m people out of a population 65m isn't much of a real majority for such radical damaging change.

Rhossydd":148nffj0 said:
paulm":148nffj0 said:
Are you suggesting it would be more just for quite a bit less than 37% of the electorate, the Remainiacs, to keep the country in Europe when the rest didn't vote for that ?
No. I'm pointing out that 17m people out of a population 65m isn't much of a real majority for such radical damaging change.

It's more than didn't want the change, what don't you get about it :lol:

Eric The Viking":1d93pe08 said:
Jake":1d93pe08 said:
It says on that site that they have never accepted EU funding. I can't be bothered to research more of your crocks of sunshine further than that.

It's a lie. Go search the EP minutes.

Or even just spend five seconds on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Euro

That doesn't say it was funded by the eu.

Got a link to the EP minutes? (If not I am going to assume you made that bit up)

The Brand EU Centre is based in London, in Gold Mercury House, Mayfair, and is funded privately. As an independent centre it is not funded or affiliated with any EU institutions or governmental bodies, nor is it connected to any political parties

MIGNAL":1pt4b50j said:
I think the best course of action would be for the new leader to go back to the EU and negotiate a Norway style deal. Let's call it a get out of jail card, out but back in. Probably not what the electorate voted for but in the best interests of UK Plc.

That'd be my best guess too regarding the likely outcome. Of course it will be dressed up as being totally different from the Swiss or Norwegian deals, but in truth it will be pretty similar and critically would still allow the City to retain the European passport for financial services.

So after all that spleen and venom we'll have another Old Etonian as PM, the population will continue to grow (Boris has already admitted there'll be an amnesty for exiting EU immigrants and in any event the majority of immigrants were always non-EU), the disadvantaged and angry of Hull and Stoke and Caerphilly will remain disadvantaged and angry, sectarian violence in Ireland will still bubble beneath the surface, businesses will still have to contend with an awful lot of red tape, ships will continue not to be built on the Tyne or Clyde, and London/South Manchester/Winchester/Bristol/Cambridge/Brighton house prices will remain utterly unaffordable for most young people.

Rhossydd":3htel7qh said:
paulm":3htel7qh said:

This is the old old story often trotted out by losers that cannot abide the result of the democratic process.
The result was that 52% of those voting voted for Brexit.
The fact that some people didn't vote is irrelevant, they had the chance , they chose not to.
The 37% argument is totally spurious.

I blame the Brussels Broadcasting Company who spent all yesterday interviewing a succession of miserable politicians and spin merchants whinging about the result.
I am amazed that Alastair Campbell has any street cred left after his involvement in the Iraq war dodgy dossier. He oozes hypocrisy.

Of course the BBC receives funding from the EU so they can see that their snout will soon be removed from the trough and they dont like it. They are also outraged that Joe Public may come to a decision that they do not agree with.
The Beeb worked themselves into a frenzy and seemed almost pleased that Sterling had crashed, they were wetting themselves because the stock market had fallen.
It is a pity that they didn't report that the stock markets recovered and ended higher than the day the referendum was called and that sterling finished the day 2 or 3% down.
They clearly have an agenda and their actions and bias are unfitting for a national broadcaster.

The sight of Campbell dismissively referring to the electorate as "those people" and that they didn't understand.
Anna Soubry explained the result as being influenced by white working class who had probably never met a migrant. If Farage had said like that the sanctimonious press would be down on him like a ton of bricks.
Then there are the virtue signalling white rose bearing posers who bang on about Love not Hate....but not extending that credo to anyone that doesn't happen to share their political views, pathetic.
The arrogance of these liberal elites is truly breathtaking.
The referendum is finished , the decision made, live with it, in the same way you would expect the other side to have lived with it if the the result had been Remain.

I wonder if you underestimate how cross the EU is going to be if you think you are going to get something as amicable as Norway or Swiss style deals. I predict the EU might want make an example of the UK.

I agree Dennis, but surely they will have to make allowances for our arrogant complacency.

Can you imagine the price they will want for retaining banking passporting (maybe giving back the rebate and keeping free movement would do it?)

DennisCA":uak9umug said:
I wonder if you underestimate how cross the EU is going to be if you think you are going to get something as amicable as Norway or Swiss style deals. I predict the EU might want make an example of the UK.

I agree but it also gives the EU the chance to tell all the other EU member countries that even the mighty UK couldn't really exit even when it wanted to.
Everyone wins if the UK goes to the Norwegian model. Doris can claim that we are out, the remain can claim that we are in, the EU can claim that we are effectively in.
The only people who don't win are the 52% who voted to be completely out! :D but they were lied to regarding NHS funding and significant reductions in immigration, even 2.01% of them have since changed their minds.
Scotland won't have another referendum on independence. JP Morgan will return to London.
There ya go. I've solved most of the worlds problems in just a few sentences. I expect a peace prize.

DennisCA":1r52hxn2 said:

How exactly? Tariffs? It will cost them more than it does us?
Obama came out with how we should stay in the EU , that we would go to the back of the queue etc, but now he has rowed back from that stance and they are looking to preserve the special relationship.

The head of the German CBI has already said that it is in Germanys interests to have a free trade deal with the UK.

There will be a lot of sabre rattling and threats from the EU but they are not totally stupid and whatever they think we are in a strong position. Also , the more unreasonable the EU is, the more the electorate in other countries will see that EU is not worth being a member.

I think we are in a stronger position that you realise.

As for Scotland wanting to join the EU, if that is what the Scots want to do then let them go. The reality is that that Scotland will not get anywhere like the financial support from the EU that they get from the UK under the Barnet formula. The EU had a funding problem before Brexit, now they have lost the second largest net contributor they are going to be short of cash. I do not understand why the Scots are so keen to escape from the yoke of Westminster only to run into the straitjacket of the EU, crazy.

DennisCA":ev3014u2 said:

We can get that deal, that's not the problem.

The problem will be managing the howls of rage when many people who voted "Out" realise that we're not really out at all. That's going to change the face of British politics. The Conservative party will rally under Boris and convince themselves that they've achieved their primary goal of sovereignty (rather than curbing immigration) so it's job done. But Labour will be torn apart, losing votes to Scottish Nationalists and a resurgent UKIP who will continue to campaign when the statistics show that immigration is continuing to fuel UK population growth year after year.

DennisCA":25558vvm said:

So it'll be business as usual when dealing with us.

Now, about the next Euro-lotto numbers. Check your crystal ball for next weeks numbers. ta :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back