Which palm sander? Festool / Metabo / Bosch / Makita / ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was watching this thread with interest

so which models of each - festool,de walt or bosch is worth a recommendation

which one did you order steve?

I have 3 and they are all good.

Metabo 6 inch. Fine.

Festool palm: Brilliant.

Last week I needed a 5 inch Random Orbit and did not want to for Festool money on that occasion. Went for the Makita since it felt good in the hand ( an important consideration), results on some stroppy ripple sycamore panels :Fine if not better.

Mike H

8)

New boy but a long term fan of the site.

Harlequin":1sakwg1v said:
was watching this thread with interest

so which models of each - festool,de walt or bosch is worth a recommendation

which one did you order steve?

Hi. I bought this dewalt D26441 sander. I've bought other stuff in the past from the marshall and parsons ebay shop and can recommend them.

Steve

Pete, I personally find the 5in ROS are more controllable than their larger cousins. Particularly when you're dealing with narrow components. I seem to use my 5in Bosch a lot more than the 6in Metabo, which has almost been made redundant since I bought a 4in belt sander! :D

I'd guess Mike has similar reasons?

Yep

Today I was finishing a smallish chest and the 6" would have been difficult to handle on some of the areas.

By the way the point I was really making with my 3 different sanders is that all the main makes are really much of a muchness (Festool maybe the exception).

What really makes better sanding, I feel, is the better quality discs which are now available. I use Hermes and Mirlon with power tools and Abranet for hand sanding, and all these are such an improvement from 10 years ago.

Mike

Mike H":3l634lvk said:
By the way the point I was really making with my 3 different sanders is that all the main makes are really much of a muchness...

I'm shocked. You only have three sanders...??? :shock:

Pete :wink:

In fact I have 4, forgot the belt sander, which I don't use much since it is a quick way to destroy a job.

I did some work with a mate of mine (Master craftsman) last year installing a few bespoke kitchens, since he was shorthanded, I discovered that he had 8! In fact we did use them all on various jobs.

For me, with mostly cabinet making what I have is what I need to deliver to my clients in time and to the quality expected. If money and space allowed I would also have a wide bed sander.

I am also waiting for Festool's new baby which will be versatile for small intricate work.

Sorry to disappoint

Mike

Mike H":3a3z5bfi said:
I am also waiting for Festool's new baby which will be versatile for small intricate work.

The small Rotex out at the end of the month? Yes, looks very interesting, if a little pricey - I was secretly hoping it would come in at under the 5" Rotex price, but no chance! I suppose the argument is that you get a detail sander as well, but a bit of a drag if you already have a decent one.

Still, I do a lot of paintwork prep. so a small headed sander that can also be used aggressively will be very useful. Sigh. Always something, isn't there?

Cheers, Pete.

...and if you're going to include belt sanders, then I'll have to confess to being on par with your pal :oops: - and they all get used!

Back