What to do with unwanted tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are photos of the power tools. We have a local 'Tool Shed' where the hand tools will probably go.

Hi there… and sorry for your loss.
I am in a situation clearing a deceaseds garage for his wife….tools…tools tools.
I notice from the images you have a record power AC400… I could be interested in that…
I am in Bristol… pm me if you like

steve

For some years now, the woodturning club of which I'm secretary (East Yorkshire Woodturners), has supported 'Tools With a Mission' ('TWAM'), which refurbishes a wide range of tools, put them into kits, and sends them out to Africa where it trains men and women to learn skills to enable them to make a living for themselves and their families and to educate their children to give them a better start in life, rather than to exist on handouts. As well as kits for carpenters, electricians, mechanics, bricklayers etc, it trains men in tailoring and women in dressmaking, providing them with manual and electric sewing machines.

To put into perspective the scale of the operation, they send around 16 containers filled with a total of around 225 tonnes of tools every year. These tools range from sewing machines and knitting machines to carpentry tools and mechanics tools. In 2021, TWAM sent 14 containers full of life-transforming tools to Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Almost 10,000 tool kits in all.

TWAM have collectors in most parts of the UK. You can ascertain if there is a collector near you by entering your postcode on their website. You can either take the tools to the collector or they’ll collected them from you. They’re sent down to the refurbishing centre at Ipswich, where they’re put into kits. Power tools are also acceptable – not just hand tools. Last month, as well as saws, hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, files, spanners etc, we took several electric drills, a router, a circular saw, a chop-saw, a lathe and ten planes ranging from small block planes to a No 7.

A couple of pics below of some of the items out Club members donated in August.

Tools sent by TWAM to Africa in 2021:

Tools Sent in 2021 | Tools with a Mission

How to donate tools:

Donate Tools | Tools with a Mission

What each tool kit contains:

Tools with a Mission | What's in a toolkit?

IK hope that might be worth thinking about.

David.

Attachments

• Files & Saws.jpg
    Files & Saws.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Planes Drills and Files.jpg
    Planes Drills and Files.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Here are photos of the power tools. We have a local 'Tool Shed' where the hand tools will probably go.
They are not high end tools, but all would sell, except the lathe.
my estimate, others will give their opinion I expect, but these are not far off what I would expect to sell for.

the air cleaner £150
lathe, a poison chalice, mens shed might bother, doubtful.
band saw £100
sander £60
scroll saw £50
thicknesser £150

rule of thumb here in the states is to list something for half the cost of the equivalent tool new (the actual new sale price).

If something is choice - like a $7k lathe - and there's a big following of well heeled users, you can get more than that, and in other cases, sometimes less.

If listing locally, I would be up front and mention that you have tools that weren't yours and to your knowledge, they work properly, but users can try them out or bring them back within a reasonable period of time if they find otherwise (a week, etc).

Take a phone video of all of them, as many parts of the tools as you reasonably can to refer back to if someone takes something, breaks it and brings it back. Taking a video on a phone now, maybe it'll be 10 or 15 minutes, who knows, is far easier than trying to take pictures of everything.

I'm happy to courier west and north on 12th sept if required!

Verwood, Newtown (don't ask kids!) Baildon west Yorkshire.

Hi, this is the 1st time i have posted. Recently my mum passed away and we are clearing my parents garage. We have loads of wood working electrical tools that beloned to pur Dad, no more than 4-5 years old that have hardly been used (lathe never used, band saw, planer/thicknesser etc) and not sure what to do with them. Anyone have any ideas on where we could sell them them as they are far too good to dispose of.
Your local Mens’ Shed would probably be grateful if you decided to donate things to them. Google “Dorset Mens’ Shed“ to find one near to you.

If listing locally, I would be up front and mention that you have tools that weren't yours and to your knowledge, they work properly, but users can try them out or bring them back within a reasonable period of time if they find otherwise (a week, etc).
tell them the origin perhaps, but I wouldn’t accept returns under any circumstances. Definitely a case of try before you buy, and if you don’t know enough to check tools before buying, the just pass on by.

tell them the origin perhaps, but I wouldn’t accept returns under any circumstances. Definitely a case of try before you buy, and if you don’t know enough to check tools before buying, the just pass on by.

This can be hard to accommodate unless the tools are exactly as left. As in, is there something wrong with the planer that the original owner could tolerate, but other folks may not like? Cracks in castings?

It's really up to to the OP, but job 1 is getting rid of the tools without them being a burden, and getting something for them if that's important.

I've always mentioned to people buying things from me (years ago, I sold off my large power tools, since then, some exercise equipment, etc) that they can bring anything back that isn't as described, and nobody has come back.

I sold someone a guitar amp about 5 years ago that had a noisy tube shortly after I sold it to the guy who bought it. I asked him to meet me at a local police station's exchange area (request of my wife instead of having people trapsing through the house) and he couldn't plug the amp in. He sent me an email a week later and asked if the amp was noisy, and I said "no, I don't know if maybe something got bumped on the ride home, but whatever it costs to get it fixed within reason, I'd cover".

Interestingly, he was seeing if I was honest and when I offered to pay the amp tech's fee to track down the noise and ultimately just replace a tube, he then declined. I think if he'd have felt I was a little sketchy or said "your problem now, buddy", he probably would've asked for me to pay for the issue.

This can be hard to accommodate unless the tools are exactly as left. As in, is there something wrong with the planer that the original owner could tolerate, but other folks may not like? Cracks in castings?
But that’s exactly why it has, in this case , to be sold as seen. The OP has no knowledge of the current condition and sells as such.
the buyer is made aware they are buying as tested before sale by themselves. Caveat Emptor.

The OP doesn’t want, and doesn’t have to, get involved with returns. in this country there is no obligation to imply or honour any warranty at all on privately sold used goods.
If a buyer purchased the planer, broke it because they were unfamiliar working it and returned for refund, that would cause more upset that offering no warranty.

Hi, I’m sorry to hear of your loss :(

I’m in Salisbury, could you perhaps let me know if there’s a local “tool shed” as I’ve got a few bits I’d rather see in someone else’s hands than in the skip!

many thanks

k

Back