What to do with unwanted tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st timer

Reaction score
Hi, this is the 1st time i have posted. Recently my mum passed away and we are clearing my parents garage. We have loads of wood working electrical tools that beloned to pur Dad, no more than 4-5 years old that have hardly been used (lathe never used, band saw, planer/thicknesser etc) and not sure what to do with them. Anyone have any ideas on where we could sell them them as they are far too good to dispose of.

Hi, sorry for your loss, hope you are doing ok.
Theres a for sale section on the forum, or the usual, gumtree and ebay, maybe faceache

Youd be best off researching each machine to find current prices. You could post photos in this thread for people to give their opinion, but this isnt the sale section👍

Local men's shed Christchurch has one.

Tools for Africa I think thier head office is local to you in Romsey.

I'm often down in verwood, Dorset and could accept and spare for our sheds in Yorkshire.

Cheers James

Ebay is a very good marketplace but you need to put in a bit of work to get the best from it - how to structure the selling process and monitor its progress - so it depends how much time & attention you could give it.

The first requirement is being able to give a full, accurate description - make, model, work capacity, voltage, etc etc. Good photos help a lot. But people will travel a hundred or two miles for something they want. The second consideration is deciding how you'll accept being paid and being alert to possible scammers. Offering pallet delivery for heavier items (via Palletline et al) is another option - but you'd have to palletise the items, strap and wrap them in advance.

Gumtree has a more local focus and is probably easier to manage (fewer protocols). But as above, it involves people coming to your home to inspect / buy, so you have to be comfortable with that. I'm not a scaremonger - most people are honest & genuine - but you at least have to be alert.

You could consider a job lot, by the way, so that it all goes in one hit, but this constricts the market a bit.

To make life easier, there will be auctioneers hopefully not too far away that would remove it all and incorporate it into one of their periodic auctions that include that sort of material. That would remove you from the stress and time input of handling it all yourselves. Ask around.

If I lived nearer I'd help out with descriptions / photos etc, but you're a bit far ...

Consider contacting your local woodturning club. They will likely have members who may want to buy some items. Other benefit is that they will have knowledge of what it is you have, its likely value and the best way to dispose of it.

Whilst charlatans etc exist everywhere, most "woody" folk I meet seem to be generally honest and straightforward.

As rogxwhit said, auctioneers may be of interest. Not sure where in Dorset you are, but theres husseys.co.uk, your side of exeter
Some good points regarding ebay sales and safety ☝️

Hi, this is the 1st time i have posted. Recently my mum passed away and we are clearing my parents garage. We have loads of wood working electrical tools that beloned to pur Dad, no more than 4-5 years old that have hardly been used (lathe never used, band saw, planer/thicknesser etc) and not sure what to do with them. Anyone have any ideas on where we could sell them them as they are far too good to dispose of.
Sell them on here for collection, that's a better/safer way of selling stuff than ebay.

Sorry for the loss of your mom , my mom is in a care home now with Alzheimer’s/ dementia and I’ve recently donated most of her belongings to charity and a woman’s refuge. It makes you feel good to not waste her possessions and I’d agree with others to donate to a mens shed etc. but if you prefer to sell them instead you could ( hope you don’t mind the suggestion) buy something in memory of your mom. Take care 💕

As you appear not to be a woodworker you will have little idea about the real value of the various tools and are as a result very open to being short changed. A while back someone in a similar situation was able to link up with one of our members who was fairly local and was able to assist them with the sale of the items. There are members here who are located in your part of the world, who I am sure would be willing to help.

I recently helped a friend out with the sale of all his tools. We sold about ⅓ here on the forum, ⅓ on ebay and the last ⅓ by auction (Pughs of Ledbury)
Selling here on the forum is a delight, no hassle, no haggling (at least not in public), ebay is good if you know the ropes and the auction was good for getting rid of the remainder.
There are some rules about selling on the forum. You can see them here. It will be difficult to get going as a newbie, but if you can tie up with an established member things may become possible.
Brian

if you want the east and quickest way I would just pop them on eBay, 99p starting bid - They will find their right selling point and will be gone within a week or two of listing.

I don’t think anyone gets a bargain on eBay these days, there are just too many buyers competing for tools that everything levels out.

Do put a bit of time into photographing each item and upload as many photos as possible.

Hi there 1st timer. I'm sorry for your loss.

I live in Semley (on the borders of Wiltshire and Dorset) so travelling to view your items would be very feasible for me. I'd want to buy one or more of your Dad's items for my workshop that I'm setting up. I wouldn't be selling them on!

Would that be something you'd be interested in?

Chris McAndrew

What you might consider is looking round for a local 'shed', a communal workshop where locals go to use the available tools?
Not sure what you'd use to look them up, but shouldn't be hard to find?
Is there a national 'find one' - anyone know?

Here are photos of the power tools. We have a local 'Tool Shed' where the hand tools will probably go.

Attachments

• 20220827_125832.jpg
    20220827_125832.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_124051.jpg
    20220827_124051.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_124040.jpg
    20220827_124040.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_123534.jpg
    20220827_123534.jpg