What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I finished this as a birth present for a friends son. Its English cherry and is unfinished other than being sanded to 1200 grit.

I have no gouges to speak of other than a small spoon gouge for the round bits. it was done mostly with a 3 and 6mm chisel

MattRoberts":9s66db58 said:
Looks like a diy extractor blower, Marius style

That's what it is, and it's too heavy and cumbersome for me to lift up on the cyclone stand....

Also this did arrive today:
38134310141_08850a9e2e_b.jpg

Dirtyepic said:
Today I finished this as a birth present for a friends son. Its English cherry and is unfinished other than being sanded to 1200 grit.

I have no gouges to speak of other than a small spoon gouge for the round bits. it was done mostly with a 3 and 6mm chisel
Photobucket does not work these days unless you pay for the privilege, this is a much better photo hosting site: https://postimages.org/ only about four time faster and easier to navigate.

Mike

many thanks, i have a had an account with them for years, i didn't realise they had stopped supporting hosted images, i will try to resubmit under the recommended site.

I had an account with them as well, it was always so slow, you will find the new site a revelation and easier to use.

Mike

Flattened and thicknessed some inch-thick oak down to three-quarters of an inch (I'm finally getting to making that side table project that Richard Maguire did some videos on a while back):

IMG_1466a.jpg

But mostly I was playing with the new interloper and making the roughest excuse for a bandsaw box you've ever clapped eyes on.

IMG_1446a.jpg

IMG_1458a.jpg

(who needs all of their fingers really???)

IMG_1459a.jpg

IMG_1473a.jpg

IMG_1474a.jpg

Don't ask what it's good for storing, the answer's "nothing really", I just wanted to cut one of these to get a feel for what they're like; which would be "pineappling terrifying and noisy and holy carp do I still have all of my fingers and how the hell did I manage that?". Not to mention that I forgot the dust extraction for the first few minutes, so I've been sneezing walnut for the last few hours. Yay.

Still though, might try some more of those. Just need to have a think about what to make and to do what. And I want to finish the table first.

I sharpened up a couple of chisels and planes that I'd been putting off doing and boy, when I took a test shaving did it feel glorious.

Replaced the y-lever in my #5½ with an older cast iron one-piece y-lever because the more modern two-piece stamped steel riveted one fitted to my plane had decided to do this:

IMG_1479a.jpg

Then spent a while making Richard Maguire's bridle joint guides and testing them:

IMG_1502a.jpg

They're nice and simple, and only took a bit of fettling before I was getting this off the saw with no tweaking:

IMG_1509a.jpg

Spent some of the morning doing a simple clean up and sharpening my new No 4. It was supposed to be adapted as a scrub plane, but turns out it's in far better shape than my old smoother, so this is now my new smoother!
_MG_6183.jpg

_MG_6171.jpg

_MG_6172.jpg

With many thanks to phil.p for sourcing and sending the plane to me - it's fantastic.

Attachments

• _MG_6183.jpg
    _MG_6183.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 375
  • _MG_6171.jpg
    _MG_6171.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 375
  • _MG_6172.jpg
    _MG_6172.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 375
All it really needed was the blade sorting. The rest was a wipedown and oil, bit of fine grit paper on the sole and I removed the varnish and put blo on, looks beautiful. I can see how people get into restoring these things, I guess the trick is not to erase the traces of history. Oh, and it works a treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back