What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s my niece’s 4th birthday next week and she’s obsessed with tom and Jerry, so I made this tom and Jerry magnetic Jigsaw puzzle out of various offcuts (purpleheart, padauk, yew, cherry and maple). With the gaps it’s not as good as I would’ve liked, but having done it relatively last minute and being my first real scroll saw project I’m pleased. (Black lines were carved in and then epoxied with black dye)

96ca282102f77b1f0bbcb4491b203548.jpg

98ed3833115b406ff4c25d98595a7e99.jpg

Sawdust=manglitter":31m2hn77 said:
It’s my niece’s 4th birthday next week and she’s obsessed with tom and Jerry, so I made this tom and Jerry magnetic Jigsaw puzzle out of various offcuts (purpleheart, padauk, yew, cherry and maple). With the gaps it’s not as good as I would’ve liked, but having done it relatively last minute and being my first real scroll saw project I’m pleased. (Black lines were carved in and then epoxied with black dye)

96ca282102f77b1f0bbcb4491b203548.jpg

98ed3833115b406ff4c25d98595a7e99.jpg
That's absolutely superb !!! Anyone would be chuffed to bits to receive that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks both. Hopefully it won’t be too complicated for her!

The backing thing is just a cheap (£3) magnetic white board. If I would’ve had more time I would’ve inset the the white board that into a nice board of wood.

It’s something I’ll be doing again in future... so will be hoarding even more scraps now :D

MarkDennehy":1h0eswoc said:
Restocked the timber store with some 8/4 and 4/4 oak, some 4/4 walnut and got a nice few boards of 4/4 beech to see what that's like to work with (and because it was just so damned pretty...)

Is Stepaside in the U.S.A or have you declared independence? :shock:

Nah, just cut-n-pasting in my head.
See, over here, you ask for "inch oak" or "two inch oak" when you're in the yard and everyone knows what's what (if they're over 30, otherwise it's all in metric thank pineapple); but if you're writing it down as "six inch by two inch by ten foot oak" and you're just writing that in the blog so the family don't bug you all the time with "what did you do this week then?" questions, then someone's always going to ask why you wanted such a narrow, short, but very wide board. And my family's older than me so they still think in inches and feet. And none of them ever paid for timber at a yard so they don't get that it'd cost a lot more for a 2x6 than for a 6x2 board.
So, 8/4 and 4/4 for thickness and the length and width they can get from context.
Besides, if you really would buy a six inch long, ten foot wide board, then (a) I can't help you; and far more urgently, (b) I want to know what timber yard you went to and what species you bought :D

I mean, it's hard enough that you guys keep insisting on using funny measurements based on some dead guy's thumb :D

:arrow: Mark,,,,, boxes are looking good mate =D>
:arrow: S=MG,,,,,, That's bloody brilliant =D>

Cheers n0legs, they're the second lot I've tried making so I'm glad I still have all my fingers, let alone something that looks like a box :D
Long way to go to get to the kind of artwork the other guys on here do.

phil.p":pycxfqiv said:
MarkDennehy":pycxfqiv said:
I mean, it's hard enough that you guys keep insisting on using funny measurements based on some dead guy's thumb :D
I know how long a thumb is - I cannot imagine one ten-millionth of the length of a quadrant along the Earth's meridian through Paris. :D
Who on earth could? It's way easier to imagine the distance light travels in 1 / 299,792,458 seconds. You just have to be a bit faster ;) :p

Bought a cheap little noise meter:

IMG_1706a.jpg

And then tested the noise level in the wee shed when running the bandsaw.
Quiet shed : 45dbA
Kitchen noise level with junior watching Rescuebots : 65dbA
With the bandsaw running (but not cutting) : 87dbA in the shed itself with the door shut; 65dbA just outside on the decking; 55dbA back on the patio by the back door.
Cutting 2" thick oak : 102dbA inside the shed; 83dbA on the decking; 74dbA back on the patio by the back door.

And the loudest part of the bandsaw running (but not cutting) is the vacuum cleaner doing the dust extraction.
It's nice to actually have data that says the neighbours would be being unreasonable if they complained :D

Neighbours and reasonable in the same sentence is an Oxymoron in my book. :lol:

Mike

Ah, not so much; junior and next door's littlest are the same age and they're thick as thieves. The other side of the wall on the other hand, we barely know to look at, which is a bit weird to me - I grew up in a country town where you knew *everyone*, your door was only locked at night and nobody went to the front door unless they didn't know you. But you tell that to young folks these days and they'll just look at you blankly and ask "hang on, your house cost *how* much? What the hell?".

I'm just grateful I don't have any near neighbours, its so nice to be able to do what you like, when you like without repercussions from anyone outside the family, mind you that does not mean I don't get repercussions from inside the family. (hammer) can't find an under the thumb Smilie. :oops:

Mike

Never stop posting Mark. Always a joy to read mate.
Neighbours.
Scaffolding on my drive. Van is parked on the road. Its a little road. Neighbours are all fine. People across the road spent 8 months last year doing up their property. Every morning for 8 months I'd do a 6 point turn to get the van out at 4.30 AM. No worries. Needs must. Nice people not a problem. 2 days after the scaf went up on mine and I had the van parked up on the road because I can't park it on the drive like normal, I get a little note under my wiper. Printed in yellow and black like a tiny authoritarian no life pcn. Quote some highways regs about blocking the pavement. Fair do's. There's an old fella comes past on his mobility scooter, stroke, I have a chat most days. I always leave room for him and prams. Is it the neighbours? No. Its some lass who has just moved in walking her dog. Lives up the other end of the road.
I know who she is. I heard her moaning about it.
Get back from work today. Oh helloooooo there she is. Walking her tiny shitzu or whatever those sorts of dogs are called. Well I might just introduce myself I think. Be rude not to. :-"
Turns out: I'm allowed to park my van there after all.
By Chance: turns out I don't think I'm going to get any more snide fake PCN notices under my Wipers. Who knew!?!
Little bit of respect for those around you goes a long way. A complete and utter rebuttal of pseudo knowledge of the Highway code goes a lot further it seems. :D
Some people. :|
Regards as always
Chris

I used to live in Doddington Kent at Yew Tree Cottage, a Tudor building with a massive Yew tree in the front garden, admittedly if did jut into the pavement area, the parish council notified me that they had received a request to have this magnificent tree cut down because it infringed the access along the pavement, it turns out its was from someone that had recently moved into the village with a three wide buggy for their children, we came to a compromise with the help of the KCC and put a chicane in the road on this blind corner, since, there have been two fatalities on this corner and they no longer live in the village.

Mike

MarkDennehy":mhx2fjqo said:
See, over here, you ask for "inch oak" or "two inch oak" when you're in the yard and everyone knows what's what

Sorry Mark, you are excused. I assumed that you were in our Stepaside in Wales but now guess that you are in Stepaside, Dublin (where my mother was born).

I know everyone can park on a public road. but a little thought sometimes wouldn't go amiss. I was doing a lot of serious building work a few years ago and someone parked right across my garden gate .............. and went on holiday for a month.

Sorry Mark, you are excused. I assumed that you were in our Stepaside in Wales but now guess that you are in Stepaside, Dublin (where my mother was born).
Small world! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back