Traditional Stopped Chamfer Plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. As you will note from the attached photo's I am still making reasonable progress on the batch of box chamfer plane builds.

Still to complete. (in sequential order).

Cut the tines out on the wooden wedges;
Fit the outer brass keeper plates to the height adjuster;
Fit the brass sole plates on the bottom of the box;
Final shaping to the top of the plane bodies as well as complete the chamfering;
Fit strike buttons on the back end of the plane bodies;
Sharpen the irons up;
Test each plane and fine tune if required;
Apply 2 more coats of garnet shellac finish;

and the lastly- stamp the front end of the plane bodies with a makers mark;

Stewie; #-o

First time I've looked in this thread and very impressed with your work. Absolutely brilliant. =D>

I suspect these tools will last for many years. =D>

Anyone thinking of treating themselves or loved ones for Christmas could do far worse than to invest in one of Stewie's masterpieces!

I got one of his toothing plane and without exception...everyone who has used it give very glowing reports!

You don't have to ask how much work goes into each plane and the attention to detail since the entire process is published here...warts an' all...and there aren't many of them I can see!!

So if you're looking for a traditional tool of heirloom quality....you're sorted!

Nice one mate!! =D>

Jim

p.s....now what IS the collective noun for a group of chamfer planes...A CORNER of chamfers...there ya go!!! :mrgreen:

jimi43":2ddsgtgy said:
Anyone thinking of treating themselves or loved ones for Christmas could do far worse than to invest in one of Stewie's masterpieces!

I got one of his toothing plane and without exception...everyone who has used it gave very glowing reports!

You don't have to ask how much work goes into each plane and the attention to detail since the entire process is published here...warts an' all...and there aren't many of them I can see!!

So if you're looking for a traditional tool of heirloom quality....you're sorted!

Nice one mate!! =D>

Jim

p.s....now what IS the collective noun for a group of chamfer planes...A CORNER of chamfers...there ya go!!! :mrgreen:

The wooden wedges are now complete. I decided to skip installing the brass inlays for now and focus on shaping the top of the plane bodies.

Here is a disassembled view, with a start made on reshaping the top.

Here you can see a completed top. Quite a nice transformation.

Stewie;

Very elegant and classy bit of craftsmanship there mate!

I am particularly pleased by the discussion this thread has generated along with others being encouraged to make their own planes. Your openness has encouraged this and should be applauded.

Nice one! =D>

Jim

i agree with jim.
thanks for sharing and giving the push in the right direction..
i not far offf making a plane :)

TT

Brass keeper plates for the box depth adjusters have been installed.
Brass sole plates fitted.
Final coat of garnet shellac applied.

Still to complete:

Sharpen irons up.
Test each plane for performance.
Stamp makers mark.
Replace current fiber washers with a smaller size. (order completed)
Complete a final buff to the shellac finish after 7 days of hardening.

Stewie;

They are looking the bee's knees Stewie!!

I think the difference between the many old ones and your version is that you have taken the time to study the action of this plane in detail and discussed it here where each iterative step has been taken onboard and refinements made.

In my comparative study of the toothing plane I got from you and an old Victorian one...

20141114_135335.jpg

...these refinements proved that although they both did the same job but your one did is much better in a number of ways.

I have written a review on a new thread as I think it's important to understand why the care you take will result in measurable improvements to the original designs and your tools are not just cosmetically beautiful.

CLICKITY CLICK

Thanks again for continuing the tradition...and for spending the time to share and discuss your designs. =D> =D>

Jimi

Thanks Jimi. The review is greatly appreciated. Lets all hope that these types of traditional skills continue to remain relevant into the foreseeable future.

regards; Stewie.

CLASS! Pure CLASS!

Resist...only a week till Christmas...must resist!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

BTW Stewie..that bit of wood's got a crack in it...did you notice? LOL!

Hi Jimi. What pleases me the most is that I have been able to put together some small design improvements and not overly impact this type of planes historical appearance.

Stewie

swagman":1ckfid13 said:
Hi Jimi. What pleases me the most is that I have been able to put together some small design improvements and not overly impact this type of planes historical appearance.

Stewie

As I found in the toothing plane.

It is the subtle but important differences and the way you logically thought through them which adds innovation to an age-old art.

I don't care a hoot what people say about these planes having reached their zenith long ago...

What actually happened is the metal-bodied planes came in and innovation was focussed on them and the wooden plane went slowly into decline though thankfully, not to extinction.

Improvements would have carried on, and thanks to craftsmen like you, now are.

I love the fact that hand tools, and in particular old designs are coming back into fashion in a big way now. There is something serene about them...like infills they have mojo!

Thanks for the journey..it was fun!

Jimi

Back