Bevel up Toothing Plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Attached are photo's of a newly completed Toothing Plane.

The body of the plane is made from PNG. Rosewood. Length is 14" x 3" width x 3.5" in height.

The overall design is dominated by a substantially front tote. Its general size supplied a very good purchase point for the front hand when the hand plane is put to use.

Made from Merbau wood, the front tote has a height of 2.5", and has been firmly secured in place using a 2 part epoxy glued to a tight fitting 2.5"x 1" dia. round tenon.

With the blade bed at 55 * and the iron fitted bevel up, the actual approach angle of the cutting edge to the wood surface being worked is increased by an additional 25* to a total of just over 80*. That increase makes the plane much more user friendly given a deeper iron set.

This last photo shows the wood surface after its been worked with the Toothing Plane.

regards; Stewie.

NIce bit of work there Stewie!! =D>

I simply love toothing planes...I think from the days when thicknessing thin veneers for guitars was a requirement for me.

I tried all sorts of alternative methods including sweet talking a local wood processing yard into using their huge belt sanding thicknesser but for speed, cheapness and accuracy...there is nothing like a hand toothing plane.

I assume you use this design for thicknessing and preparation of nasty woods rather than for the "other" traditional use of veneer and veneer substrate preparation?

What iron do you use in this and your other toothing planes?

I ground one once by using an iron from an old woodie and a Dremel with carbide disc....it was rather rough but very effective!

I always look forward to your superb designs in toolmaking...keep 'em coming mate!

Jimi

Thanks for the feedback Jimi. Its adds much value to how I continue to foresee the direction of my work. Some may find the size of the front tote challenging to the eye, but the reality is a larger sized front tote adds much to the feel and control to the woodie in use. We tend to look at the smaller sized front totes that was/is used on Stanley bench planes as being the norm. The benefit of being the maker, is I am allowed to challenge such thought processes. A process very similar to that followed with design work on my backsaw handles.

My apologies but I cant recall the brand of the toothing irons I am using. I will have a look tomorrow and get back to you. They are certainly of an early English plane iron maker. They are all of a fine tooth comb. Purchased as old stock, unused condition a number of years ago for a uk seller.

regards; Stewie.

swagman":1vqpsbp9 said:
Apologies for the delay Jimi. The brand name on the toothing blades I use is PEEPUL.

Stewie;

Cheers mate.

Never heard of them...but Google is your friend in these circumstances! :wink:

Jimi

EDIT...ah...they're made in Sheffield! NOS I think? Or do they still make them?

Back