Router Table Insert - Group Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aluminium or Mild Steel Router insert set?

• I would like an Aluminium Plate\Rings - CAN tap\drill myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like an Aluminium Plate\Rings - CAN'T tap\drill myself.

• I would like Mild Plate\Rings - CAN tap\drill myself.

• I would like Mild Plate\Rings - CAN'T tap\drill myself.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Filed Co accounts yesterday and sent off the Corp Tax return so life is sort of back to normal'ish - well as best it can be.

I'll be going thru the thread and re-acquanting myself with where we are with this and then we'll carry on. I'll assume the same folk are down for whatever they wanted (just for nbrs in terms of quotations), etc.

I've a drawing or 2, to do in CAD - I think.

I think I speak for everyone here when i say its much appreciated what your doing for us, keep us posted

thanks tom

Sorry I'm a late comer on this - hopefully not too late.

Questions:
1) apart from the thickness difference of 2mm what are the differences between the Ali and Steel options? I'm struggling to understand why people would want something that takes 2mm off the potential cutting depth by choosing Ali...
2) why extra rings - do they get chewed up by cutters and if so I assume that Ali ones are better??
3) How much extra are additional rings (sorry if I missed this in the thread)

Many thanks

Miles

In answer to question two - yikes no. For safe operation you want a minimal (few mm) clearance between the cutter and the plate which you achieve by using various different sized rings. The rings we are getting made cover a lot of situations and there is a blank - IIRC - so that we can make up a custom one if needed. You can also make the rings spare rings out of plastic but steel looked good as it allowed people to try out magnetic fixing of the rings.

indeed, spare blanks allow for differing sized bits. If you want zero clearance then you'll have to use wood. Did we not say that even with the steel plate, the rings would be Ali?

Pull your finger out Dibs, I'm going to need mine soon ;)

Re steel over ali I chose ali mainly because of corrosion resistance - In my shed a steel plate would be rusty in no time....

wizer":boge9v99 said:
indeed, spare blanks allow for differing sized bits. If you want zero clearance then you'll have to use wood. Did we not say that even with the steel plate, the rings would be Ali?

Pull your finger out Dibs, I'm going to need mine soon ;)

I'll be upto speed by Monday - I promise. :!:

count me in for an steel plate and some spare and steel rings (as they'll have to be the same thickness so I can't mix steel and ali).

Many thanks for sorting this out.

Miles
Edited: Ideally drilled and tapped but I'm sure that I can find someone if this would be a massive fag for you. I use a dewalt router if that makes any difference...

Latest posts

Back