Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I really am just a old very much retired hobby woodworker so always looking for advice.

For our 59th wedding anniversary last year our son bought me a Record BS300E bandsaw which I'm thrilled with and still in the learning stages to get the best out of it. But I've always wanted a planner thicknesser and being on a limited budget plus considering it certainly wouldn't be used on a daily basis what would you experienced ones advise?

I would very much appreciate your advice and thanks in advance.

What sort of projects do you make, what's the maximum board size you would want to put over/through it? Are you only interested in new or is used an option?

My first planer thicknesser was a secondhand DW1150, which is broadly similar to other machines Record PT260, Metabo/Electra Bekum HC260, then there is the Kity 636 which is a similar size but not so much a clone. I would say all these machines are much of a muchness and machine condition is more important than brand if picking one up second hand. My DW1150 sufficed for all my projects until I got up to boards that were over 5'-6' long and there was just too much flex in the tables, at which point I got an old cast iron surface planer but still use the DW1150 as a thicknesser.

Thanks for that as you say, need to work out just what I would use it for. At the moment I'm thinking just small hobbyist stuff

One of the first things I considered years ago when I was in the same position was did I want one with a screaming universal motor or one with a comparatively quiet induction motor. When I was sure I wanted the latter, understanding that it would take up some floor space, anticipating what I would use it for and how often it was just a matter of waiting for a second-hand machine coming up for sale near me (a SIP 01344). I didn't really fancy anything brand new as I was working to a budget plus I needed to get a suitable chip extractor for it.

Scheppach used to make great machines before they went downmarket. Their HMS 260 and 3200 machines have two great advantages. They have the rollers close together so you can thickness lengths as short as 100 mm and the rubber rollers don't mark the wood so you can thickness down to about 3 mm. I see lots of them on the secondhand market and you can't go wrong with them. You can buy bolt on roller supports if you are planing long boards as well. The only downside is that setting the blade height is a bit fiddly but easy after a bit of practice.
Don't forget to budget for a dust and chip extractor as well - all P/T machines need one to function properly.

I've had my lumberjack PT254 abut 18 months and apart from its loudness it's been great for me. Not used daily but never been an issue with it, just make sure you have a decent over ear ear defenders, I have a 3M pair and makes ok to with now.

I have rebuilt a few PT’s and now keep away from any of the hobby grade machines because in my experience they wear out / won’t keep their setting for very long and I had problems when I sold them.
Probably the best machine for a hobbyist is a Sedgwick PT or MB. Yes they are not at the lower end of cost to buy new or secondhand, but unlike the hobby grade machines will keep their value / increase in value with time. They will always sell secondhand as they are highly regarded.
Sedgwicks have changed little over time and spares are available. However genuine Sedgwick spares are extremely expensive. What I can say is generally the only things that wear are the bearings as you would expect which are jelly bean parts you can buy very cheaply from almost anywhere.

I have rebuilt a few PT’s and now keep away from any of the hobby grade machines because in my experience they wear out / won’t keep their setting for very long and I had problems when I sold them.
Quiet agree. My first P/T was an Elu 8" model. Bought for the affordable price and the Elu name. It lasted a few months before giving up. To my astonishment the drive gears were plastic and had of course worn out. It taught me never to trust a brand name on it's own.

Latest posts

Back