Another "Which Planer/Thicknesser"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a budget of approximately £450 for a planer/thicknesser.

I'm looking at the DeWalt DW733 or the Axminister AW318. I am able to get the DeWalt for less than £450 on ebay from a big seller at present due to Black Friday deals and a build up of nectar points worth over £50, which realistically I would not spend elsewhere.

My main use would be thicknessing material, so while I have thought (budget busted well and truly by this) about the Metabo HC260C for planing/thicknesser, but would the shorter bed might make the thicknessing less accurate? I am sure I could use a sled on a thicknesser for uneven boards, there seems to be plenty of ideas on YouTube with that idea.

There seems to be little to no experience of the Axminster, that aside, are they all much of a muchness or is there one clear quality thicknesser that I should pay attention to?

I bought my s/h Metabo for £390 nearly a year ago and I've been quite impressed by it's performance. I've seen decent ones advertised recently for as much as £500.
The length of table is short but adequate for most hobbyists. I recently flattened and thicknessed a 3.5m length of sapele with no problems. The length of table is required for the planer not the thicknesser. For long pieces although it's helpful to have some independent support such as a roller support or a tressle.
Brian

I have an old Elektra Beckum that is still going strong after 30 years. I use it with a pair of rollers when feeding long stock through. Based on this I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the present Metabo HC260.
You might be able to get it a bit cheaper. I saw a -New Other- one on Ebay recently for £500. though lots of the cheaper ones seem to be collection only. The new price seems to vary wildly from £600, to over £1000, though I can't fathom why.

Back