Perfect way to clean a water stone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beuker":1va67osx said:
And one piece of advise, this is the internet. Treat it as a bunch of letters on your screen and life will be much easier :wink:
I heard people can even change their identity on the internet!!!

Beuker":2vxk699x said:
ColeyS1":2vxk699x said:
The sikaflex stuff looks ideal for a big log slice I've got that has drying out shakes I'd like to fill. Would there be a maximum joint size it'll fill ? I'm thinking I could have 12mm splits in places. If for some reason the log decides to swell, would the sikaflex just bulge a bit, but still stay stuck ? This stuff has to be a better option than me using rigid non flexing epoxy resin ?
Cheers
Coley
I can't help you with that one. I've only used Sikaflex for the teak deck on my sail boat. I would imagine it's made specifically for teak deck seams and as such would have a maximum to it. If you want I can call the shipyard where I worked on my boat on Tuesday and ask them about it.
Thanks for the offer, I'm sure it'll be fine. I bought some black stixall thinking I could sand that but it didn't go at all to plan :lol:
Appreciate the info.
Cheers
Coley

ColeyS1":3l1lyv9b said:
The sikaflex stuff looks ideal for a big log slice I've got that has drying out shakes I'd like to fill. Would there be a maximum joint size it'll fill ? I'm thinking I could have 12mm splits in places. If for some reason the log decides to swell, would the sikaflex just bulge a bit, but still stay stuck ? This stuff has to be a better option than me using rigid non flexing epoxy resin ?
Cheers
Coley

I was mulling over why the two different ways were used on the boat as it was many years ago. I think Epoxy was used on the thinner teak that was laid on a ply substrate. In this situation it was considered stable. The boat is now 14 years old and neither system has any problems in a marine environment.

All the black lines on the deck are epoxy and graphite

Attachments

• IMG_20161010_111855.jpg
    IMG_20161010_111855.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 472
Only just saw this thread. Boat work is very interesting.

Might be worth remembering re banning people. The poster was Dutch. In my experience, having lived in the Netherlands, and been married to a Dutch girl, the Dutch have a very different culture to the British. They have an extremely direct way of speaking that English people can often perceive as rude, perhaps the more so for Dutch working men. They rarely mean to be rude though. The sense of humour is very boisterous too. And he was working presumably in his second or possibly third language (second is frequently German). It is easy to judge but we do need to make allowances perhaps for foreign visitors to this site.

MrTeroo":2grbsxsk said:
bugbear":2grbsxsk said:
MrTeroo":2grbsxsk said:
Serious request, could someone quote for me what they consider to be a rude/offensive section of what he posted?

Many thanks

There's none so blind...

BugBear (100% behind our mods, tough job)

So rather than answering my post in a constructive way, you type a snippet of snidey nastiness, not for the first time.

So you can percieve the snidey nastiness in my post, but not the rudeness in the post we're discussing? Interesting filter you're running there.

BugBear

bugbear":3o866s63 said:
So you can percieve the snidey nastiness in my post, but not the rudeness in the post we're discussing? Interesting filter you're running there.

BugBear

Yes I do perceive the snidy nastiness that you have directed at me.

I wouldn't advocate you being banned for it though.

I can't see any level of rudeness that warrants a banning in the other person's posts, either.

I ask again, please quote the elements of those posts that you deem rude enough to have him banned.

AJB Temple":usrbnw1n said:

Might be worth remembering re banning people. The poster was Dutch. In my experience, having lived in the Netherlands, and been married to a Dutch girl, the Dutch have a very different culture to the British. They have an extremely direct way of speaking that English people can often perceive as rude, perhaps the more so for Dutch working men. They rarely mean to be rude though. The sense of humour is very boisterous too. And he was working presumably in his second or possibly third language (second is frequently German). It is easy to judge but we do need to make allowances perhaps for foreign visitors to this site.

I would second this having experience with the Dutch and at one point being able to converse in Dutch, albeit to a limited degree and some time ago. My point I suppose is that even in Dutch itself, it is a very direct language and it doesn't do itself any favours by the time it gets transposed into other languages.

Banning people will not just stop PalmRoyale but you can bet your life other European forums are now reading this thread which is not good in itself. As mentioned before, restricting speech rarely achieves the intended objective.

Guys, guys, guys. What does it matter? "Beuker" is free to post here. I think you'll find he has a very similar knowledge base to PalmRoyale, and perhaps he will be a little more polite than his "friend". Now both of you go to your sheds immediately and make something nice.

phil.p":2j3fun90 said:
This thread really needs the Sage of Middleton by Wirksworth - he'd have sorted out the rudeness. :D

That's right

Compared to him PalmRoyale is Tennyson
:)

Paddy Roxburgh":2v0y175l said:
Guys, guys, guys. What does it matter? "Beuker" is free to post here. I think you'll find he has a very similar knowledge base to PalmRoyale, and perhaps he will be a little more polite than his "friend". Now both of you go to your sheds immediately and make something nice.
Shhhhh ! I've got a few more bits of information I'd like out of him first. :lol:

Beau, I was originally gonna mix epoxy with something to fill the cracks, it was making shuttering to stop it sagging on the edges that put me off.
011ac541e9b7845149aed785cc32be81.jpg

With the sikaflex I should be able to just squirt it in and let it cure for a week or two. If something doesn't feel right with a job I'm doing for myself, I just leave it till I get sick to death of seeing it unfinished. I'm at that stage now with the log slice :lol: Maybe black will look better than shiny epoxy anyway.
The excitements back, sikaflex 290 is just what I've been waiting for.
Thanks guys
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2z1h15s3 said:
Beau, I was originally gonna mix epoxy with something to fill the cracks, it was making shuttering to stop it sagging on the edges that put me off.
011ac541e9b7845149aed785cc32be81.jpg

With the sikaflex I should be able to just squirt it in and let it cure for a week or two. If something doesn't feel right with a job I'm doing for myself, I just leave it till I get sick to death of seeing it unfinished. I'm at that stage now with the log slice :lol: Maybe black will look better than shiny epoxy anyway.
The excitements back, sikaflex 290 is just what I've been waiting for.
Thanks guys
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ah gotcha

Yes wouldn't use epoxy graphite for that

AJB Temple":272tnywp said:

I actually wondered if he is Friesian/Dutch at all because his English so far has been idiomatically flawless (a non-native speaker usually gives him/herself away by some odd turn of phrase or other, not so here). I'm used to the Dutch being able to speak English at a high level but I do wonder if he is an ex-pat.

Beuker":v4qbz011 said:
Except I'm not this PalmRoyale dude. That's what you're hinting at, right? I can't prove it and I know you probably won't believe me but that doesn't matter to me.

Matters not.

Everybody and anybody that is willing to pass on their knowledge or advice based on past experience is more than welcome on the forum.
The fact that those from or immersed in a different culture care to contribute and expand the intellectual database is always a bonus.

A modicum of civility is always appreciated whether from New or longer standing members as it makes Moderators lives easier whilst they concentrate on the regular background checking and general forum housework involved with a forum that regularly has 150+ folks on line and on average 9 or 10 new member sign ups a day.

Beuker":2h05kqyq said:
Paddy Roxburgh":2h05kqyq said:
Except I'm not this PalmRoyale dude. That's what you're hinting at, right? I can't prove it and I know you probably won't believe me but that doesn't matter to me. But if you guys want me gone just say so. It doesn't matter to me either way.

Fair play, I believe you. I don't want you gone, to be honest I didn't want him gone, in my opinion he was unnecessarily rude, but a ban seems excessive, but it's not my call.
I miss Jacob!!!

Andy Kev.":30kbviqv said:
That's a point. Where is Jacob? He's not got banned too, has he?

Maybe he's taken up building boats. It is, after all, the highest order of art and achievement in the world. We know because PR told us so.

I think he got banned before he got to telling us Newton said he'd wished he'd have learned to build boats instead of discovering calculus, because boat building is so much rarer and more difficult than discovering as-yet-uncovered mathematical methods. :roll:

Einstein, too. Maybe we'd have had the theory of float-a-tivity instead.

Beuker":3knloizm said:
Except I'm not this PalmRoyale dude. That's what you're hinting at, right? I can't prove it and I know you probably won't believe me but that doesn't matter to me. But if you guys want me gone just say so. It doesn't matter to me either way.
So here's what happened if that's the case: a Dutch guy coincidentally joined the very day another Dutch poster was banned, they both just happen to be into boats, and then on top of that the 'second' guy just stumbled upon the thread that saw the first poster banned.

I don't know about anyone else but that stretches my credulity just a tad. Especially given the thread title doesn't give any clue that there's anything to do with boats within it :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back