Perfect way to clean a water stone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PalmRoyale":n8kyj51q said:
The thing is I just can't stand all the self proclaimed wood working experts on youtube while the only thing they're capable of is making some simple furniture. I can do what David Charlesworth, Rob Cosman, Chris Schwartz and others do with my eyes closed but every English speaking amateur wood workers thinks those guys are wood working gods. Well, they're not. They're amateurs. I'm a real Frisian shipwright and they will never come close to what I and the other guys I work with are capable of.
Its been 35 years in the making, but mummy told me I'd meet people like you. What is your major malfunction private ?

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

" looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of ya mammas ass, and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress" - awesome film [WINKING FACE]

Awesome work. Terrible attitude. If your manners were 5% as developed as your shipwright skills you'd be an excellent poster on this site. Unfortunately that is clearly not the case. Perhaps you're just having a bad day, here's hoping that tomorrow you will reflect on your conduct and make it right.

You're probably use to working in a different environment then most of us. When we fit joints, we try and get them to fit bang on. 9 times out of 10 it'll be going into a centrally heated home. I'd imagine you work within a 3-5mm tolerance, with the knowledge and experience of knowing the oceans waves will make everything fit beautifully once it's expanded and swollen 10 % :lol:
Coley
Happy Easter

PalmRoyale may have many skills, but I suspect tonight's posts involve Genever.

BugBear

I'm just bored and having a bit of fun. However, I do stand by about what I said about the youtube wood working gurus. What they do really is very simple and not deserving of the praise it gets. If you want to see two real wood working gurus you should visit me at work so you can watch the two older guys there do their thing. I like to think I have some skills after doing this work for 20 years but I still learn something new from them almost every week.

PalmRoyale":14ww5yh8 said:
I'm just bored and having a bit of fun.
If you stop being an buttocks, you might start to appreciate what the forum has to offer. Slagging off everyone will probably just earn you and me a ban. You're clearly talented, as are all the furniture makers you've badmouthed, so what's your goal? Share a bit of experience, and perhaps learn a smidgen, or go down in flames whilst having your 20 seconds of glory. I was joking with my comment of only having to fit things within 3-5mm. I suspect it probably within a mm ?
Coley

I like your previous post before you edited it.

I have a friend who builds boats in the same area as the opinionated one and he is a pleasant fellow.I also have a water stone that works well.I don't live or work in Friesland and I do recognise that there is more to woodworking than making rectilinear furniture,even though I speak English.I do admit to being deficient when it comes to being offensive in a foreign language though.

Where did you get those mhg chisels from ? They look quite good!

ColeyS1":18mow85h said:
You're clearly talented, as are all the furniture makers you've badmouthed,
But are they really talented? I mean, any half decent shipwright can do what they do but it doesn't work the other way around. A furniture maker is good in the narrow scope of wood working that he/she does but a decent shipwright is a far more all-round wood worker. Stick a decent shipwright in an empty steel hull and give him/her a simple sketch to work from and 8-10 weeks later you have a complete interior. Do the same thing with an experienced furniture maker and they're in over their head. And this is something I know from experience. I've worked with furniture makers who wanted to switch to boat building but they simple couldn't hack it. They all lacked the insight, the creativity, problem solving and improvising skills. It's like one of the old timers at work once said: "You can teach anyone to be a furniture maker but you're born as a shipwright."

ColeyS1":18mow85h said:
Where did you get those mhg chisels from ? They look quite good!
From fine-tools.com in Germany. They're excellent chisels.
https://www.fine-tools.com/mhg.html

Well, just opened the door after a couple of Easter visiting family days to this delightful post! The odious, jumped up individual will not be contributing any more bile to this forum. One skill he might ask those old timers about next time he wishes to update his monster skill list is....common courtesy!

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I think thats a bit strong? I think these forums are very interesting to read, even if it is a bit heated at times re:sharpening! Lets be honest, if you can turn out work like he posted, you have talent and skill, and therefore something interesting to add. I'd much rather read a discussion than everyone just repeating the same thing over and over?

Crikey, those chisels are a good price aswell !
If what you say is true about shipwrights, you're probably not helping with how they're now gonna be perceived. You've got the chance to set things straight and to show us what you can do. People on here will bend over backwards to help others. If you know everything already and aren't willing to share your knowledge with the hope of picking up a few hints, then what's the point ?- Just do a crossword to pass your time. You've joined a forum that has a close connection to your profession (working with wood) Your previous posts demonstrate you want advice on tools etc. How about show others a little respect when they try to help.
Hand on heart, not joking about, I think it's disgusting the way you've spoken about others. There's just no need for it, at all. You've got people's attention, now rise up and demonstrate !
Coley

TFrench":18wa5xx6 said:
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I think thats a bit strong? I think these forums are very interesting to read, even if it is a bit heated at times re:sharpening! Lets be honest, if you can turn out work like he posted, you have talent and skill, and therefore something interesting to add. I'd much rather read a discussion than everyone just repeating the same thing over and over?

I don't give a flying fig what skills people have if they're signally unable to observe the most basic standards for human behaviour, courtesy and respect. If you think that thread was a discussion then you and I have different criteria for judging what constitutes a reasonable interaction between people using written forms of communication!

Happy Easter Bob, back with a shock and I for one would back your actions 100%. There's a huge difference between heated arguments regarding specific tools or practices but generally slagging off all and sundry is not acceptable and I wasn't the only one who found him offensive.

Andy Kev.":13h3kkjw said:
Rudeness is in my opinion something which an adult should only use when it is justified and that is actually seldom in life. Gratuitous rudeness is childish. Rudeness combined with arrogance starts to look just stupid.

Nice boats by the way.

Amen.

Jim

I was going to suggest a strop, but I see people are already having one. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back