My Clifton Anniversary plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Alex from Classic Hand Tools phoned me last week to say that my Clifton Anniversary plane was in. As Mark Hancock was at CHT giving turning demonstrations and tuition and I recently started turning, I thought I'd drive there, pick up the plane and meet Mark.

Here's the plane, a #4

Cliftonanniversary2.jpg

Cliftonanniversary3.jpg

Cliftonanniversary1.jpg

Traditionally, craftsmen often mark their name on their tools and as this was rather special, I thought it would be nice to have my name etched on the body. Mike Hudson kindly arranged this. Many thanks Mike, I hope it didn't cause you too much extra work during what must have been a busy time getting the planes out.

I'm delighted with the plane. It's beautifully finished and I look forward to getting many years work from it.

CHT's new premises is very nice. Here's Alex busy processing orders

Classic1.jpg

And Mike busy "supervising"

Classic2.jpg

Lots of droolworthy tools on display

Classic3.jpg

Plenty of extra room at the back

Classic6.jpg

Here's Mark Hancock giving some turning tuition

Classic4.jpg

Classic5.jpg

Mark's a top bloke and I picked up several excellent hints from him. Many thanks, Mark.

Finally here's Alex taking a breather

Classic8.jpg

All in all, a good day :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul congrats with your new clifton plane.

Looks very handsome. Good luck using this
nice plane.

Ali

Paul Chapman":x40lo7cj said:
Cliftonanniversary1.jpg

Traditionally, craftsmen often mark their name on their tools and as this was rather special, I thought it would be nice to have my name etched on the body. Mike Hudson kindly arranged this.

Loverly plane Paul.

But for the life-of-me I just can't make out what's written on the left-hand side of the plane. Could you kindly transcribe (I suppose I should look again after dark, when the PC screen has less reflected light). And is that "21 of 25"?

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann,

On the left-hand side it says " Clifton No. 4 Bench Plane".

Yes, it's 21 of 25. 25 planes have been made in each size.

Paul

A very nice touch, Paul. The only thing missing is the title of "Collector"... :D :wink:

Paul Chapman":116rom03 said:
On the left-hand side it says " Clifton No. 4 Bench Plane".
Okay. I was trying to see where it has your name engraved.

Paul Chapman":116rom03 said:
Yes, it's 21 of 25. 25 planes have been made in each size.
So you've got No.4/21 and David111s has No.3/22. I wonder how many more will show up on the forum (only 89 to go - excluding the 12 full sets, and Waka will have at least one of those :wink: ).

Cheers, Vann.

Hmmm, I might know where to find a few more Vann :wink: :D

It's a beaut Paul, bet it works like a dream too.

Cheers, Paul :D

Paul Chapman":2ze7a990 said:
OPJ":2ze7a990 said:
The only thing missing is the title of "Collector"... :D :wink:

All my planes are users - honest :) I've tried out the new one already.

Paul
Making what perzactly?...we need pics :wink: or it didn't happen :lol: - Rob

Very nice Paul (s!) - I especially like the "Paul Chapman Limited Edition". You certainly have earned it... :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Vann":1iyey6yf said:
I was trying to see where it has your name engraved.
It's night time here now and I can read the engraving - including your name adjacent to the tote Paul C.

paulm":1iyey6yf said:
I might know where to find a few more Vann
So which ones did you get, paulm?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3pzbhyww said:
Vann":3pzbhyww said:
paulm":3pzbhyww said:
I might know where to find a few more Vann
So which ones did you get, paulm?

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann, didn't manage to take any pics on Sunday as was too busy cleaning, honing and playing with them :roll: :lol: , but a 3, 41/2 and 51/2, with the 7 due in sometime this week, all series 21 (same as Paul's no.4).

A bit excessive for a casual hobbyist (not a collector like that Chapman guy :lol: ), but they will get used, and it makes me happy :D

Will try and get some pics up at some stage, probably after the 7 arrives, but may not be till the weekend as I need to get on with the day job to pay for them :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Hang on a tick, Paul(M). You have three of them? And you're calling Paul(C) a collector? He's obviously just focusing on honing guides... :wink:

Very posh, Paul(C) and thanks for the pics of CHT - nice to actually see what it's like.

The plane looks very nice Paul. What are the differences between these specials and the standard planes?

cheers

jon

Back