Lie-Nielsen Chisels-anyone else having problems?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Philly":2f03gj9g said:
Something I forgot to mention earlier-I had the same problem with my Japanese chisels when I first got them. They chipped out real easy at first, but with a few sharpenings this passed and their edge holding ability improved considerably. So not just a problem with the L-N's (in my experience)
...snip..Philly :D

Philly, is there any correlation visible between 'time on shelf' after manufacture and brittleness of product. (manufacture/sale dates)
Do chisels left for an extended period between uses exhibit the same problem for instance.
I am wondering if a type of metal fatigue is taking place based on time, possibly initiated in production grinding. It is not unknown for the crystalline structure of an alloy to behave totally different when used or machined in alternate applications.

Lord Nibbo":gkein9di said:
So your not keen on LN, so please tell me who makes a better chisel?

Should the question not be: "Who makes a chisel most suited to my work pattern and requirements".

I do not think that a top of the range Rolls Royce is the most appropriate vehicle to collect the next batch of must haves from the timber yard.

CHJ":a85orzu7 said:
Should the question not be: "Who makes a chisel most suited to my work pattern and requirements".

I do not think that a top of the range Rolls Royce is the most appropriate vehicle to collect the next batch of must haves from the timber yard.

No the question is "Who makes a better chisel" :?

Alf":abfi92lv said:
The opinion I'd sooner do without is this (now repeated) half-pineappled claim that I have some sort of allegiance to Lie-Nielsen. I do not.
Alf

Didn't think that at all - is David C who is their principle rep I thought. We don't take any notice of anything you say anyway :lol: :lol:

regards
Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back