WANTED robert sorby pro edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mynewka

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am just starting my turning hobbie having just retired.
I have bought a semi decent lathe and a set of chisels that I will need to sharpen
I am looking for a robert sorby pro edge
For sale second hand
I have found 2 on facebook but sadly they are in the opposite end of the country and won’t post.
Does anyone know of someone who is selling one either in the south east is willing to post
Many thanks
Dan

They're not a bad place to start.
Learing to turn with blunt tools isn't good, so an easy sharpening system that will do most of what you need is a sound idea.
Grinder, cbn wheels and a jig system will cost as much or more than a pro edge and be more faff to setup for the sake of a few more esoteric grinds that the pro edge can't do.

Hi everyone
I have bought a semi decent lathe and a set of chisels that I will need to sharpen
For sale second hand
I have found 2 on facebook but sadly they are in the opposite end of the country and won’t post.
Does anyone know of someone who is selling one either in the south east is willing to post
Many thanks
Dan
Hi, i have one i was just about to list, drop me a message.

Hi everyone
For sale second hand
Many thanks
Dan
Hi My. Hope you haven't waisted your money on the RS nothing but pain in the ars. I got one because they state "FLAT GRIND" I could not get a flat grind, made a post on here & found many were the same & some said they do get a flat grind. Then came back to the post afterwords & said " Funny a nuff I just tried a straight edge on the grind & there is a bump" A small bump in the middle of your grind alters you angle, & make it hard to run along the angle. I sold mine at a great loss & told the chap that buy it "You waisting your £££" He now sold it. Get a TORMAX & jigs Yes expensive but you waist no time learning once you understand the platform. Experience more time Lathing. & better cuts. I did ring RS & asked if I was doing something wrong they could not answer positively. Just said "We are aware some people have a small issue with a small bump in the middle of the grind, We blame this on the joining of the belt. I now use my wet stone & TORMAX jigs Bliss Bliss Bliss.

The wet stone Tormex are good for sharpening a allready existing bevel , And NO good for changing a bevel profile / shape , It would take forever and use up the wheel
I own both.

The wet stone Tormex are good for sharpening a allready existing bevel , And NO good for changing a bevel profile / shape , It would take forever and use up the wheel
I own both.
Yep I agree & That's what im doing right now. The answer of case is swop the stone to a more grit stone, It so easy. Def : lot easier than swopping a belt on a RS. No playing about trying to get the belt in the middle,

Yep I agree & That's what im doing right now. The answer of case is swop the stone to a more grit stone, It so easy. Def : lot easier than swopping a belt on a RS. No playing about trying to get the belt in the middle,

I have a Tormek and a Pro Edge. II no longer use the Tormek. It’s messy {water slopping everywhere), is a pain to set up, can’t re-profile easily, and take ages to revive an edge. Changing belts on the Pro edge is simple , taking only a couple of minutes, but I generally don’t have to do that as I have a diamond belt.. expensive but very worthwhile having.
D.

I have a Tormek and a Pro Edge. II no longer use the Tormek. It’s messy {water slopping everywhere), is a pain to set up, can’t re-profile easily, and take ages to revive an edge. Changing belts on the Pro edge is simple , taking only a couple of minutes, but I generally don’t have to do that as I have a diamond belt.. expensive but very worthwhile having.
D.
Water over flowing = Motor running to fast. or over filling. I take it you never had the drip tray?? as a safegard. To re profile change grits. I agree a couple of minutes @ least to change a belt on the RS then you may need to track the belt. Tormax Stone off 20 seconds. New stone on 25 seconds Grinding. Then there is always the diomond wheels option. & with tormax when you grind at 30deg you get 30deg from tip to toe. No bump in the middle altering your angle.

Water over flowing = Motor running to fast. or over filling. I take it you never had the drip tray?? as a safegard. To re profile change grits. I agree a couple of minutes @ least to change a belt on the RS then you may need to track the belt. Tormax Stone off 20 seconds. New stone on 25 seconds Grinding. Then there is always the diomond wheels option. & with tormax when you grind at 30deg you get 30deg from tip to toe. No bump in the middle altering your angle.
I have always used a drip tray, but water still splashes everywhere; the motor runs slowly at one speed ( that’s the main selling point for Tormek - no chance of overheating tool), i’ve never had a need to change a Tormek Stone, so how long it takes is irrelevant to me, but I think it would take much more than the 45 seconds you claim. The Pro Edge belt changing is easy, and, provided you set the thing up properly in the first place, you don’t have to adjust the tracking. I have never experienced what you describe as a ‘bump’ . Sharpening on the Pro Edge is a matter of a couple of minutes; stop the lathe, tool in jig, few seconds on the belt, job done, and back to turning. A complete contrast to setting up and using a Tormek.
Still, each to their own.
D

A Pro Edge is a belt sander with an adjustable tool holder that comes with a huge price premium.
A DIY version:
https://www.machinistblog.com/modifying-a-craftsman-2-x-42-inch-belt-sander-for-tool-grinding/
Unfortunately this machine doesn’t seem to be widely available in the UK (if at all). In addition, replacement belts are very expensive. That’s before you have to have the machining/engineering skills to adapt it. I certainly don’t, so I’ll stick with my Pro Edge.
D.

D.
By the way if you don't use your Tomek are you selling it what model & price.

I have a Pro-edge and use it constantly, I sold my Tormek T7 last year as it was rarely used.

We all have our own preferences and bias but I don't understand the comments about grinds not being flat or belts slow to change as it's entirely opposite to my experience over the last 6 or 7 years or so.
I leave the side plate of the pro-edge off the machine and can change a bet in a matter of seconds, if you need to centre a new belt again it's seconds.

I can get a perfectly flat and square edge at the angle I want just using the flat bed, I rarely use a jig and gouge profiles are a doddle including finger nail profile. I use the tool straight from the grind using mostly a 240g belt which lasts a long time and if I want a polished edge on a tool I have finer grit options.

The arguments re overpricing are another matter but compared to eye watering Tormek prices it's good value as far as I'm concerned in fact I got enough for my old s/h Tormek to have paid for a brand new pro-edge plus a load of accessories and belts.

You pay your money and make your choice.

I have a Pro-edge and use it constantly, I sold my Tormek T7 last year as it was rarely used.

We all have our own preferences and bias but I don't understand the comments about grinds not being flat or belts slow to change as it's entirely opposite to my experience over the last 6 or 7 years or so.
I leave the side plate of the pro-edge off the machine and can change a bet in a matter of seconds, if you need to centre a new belt again it's seconds.

I can get a perfectly flat and square edge at the angle I want just using the flat bed, I rarely use a jig and gouge profiles are a doddle including finger nail profile. I use the tool straight from the grind using mostly a 240g belt which lasts a long time and if I want a polished edge on a tool I have finer grit options.

The arguments re overpricing are another matter but compared to eye watering Tormek prices it's good value as far as I'm concerned in fact I got enough for my old s/h Tormek to have paid for a brand new pro-edge plus a load of accessories and belts.

You pay your money and make your choice.
I agree Tormek are a bit more expensive than all others. But I think you can do this when you are the best.
I used my RS without the side plate "Not recommended" & yes if you leave the plate off will make changing faster.
Have you ever put a straight edge on the grind From cutting edge to heal. I will be surprised if you have not got a bump

Back