Is this saw worth a punt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore":2tzygc2r said:
Regarding spare and missing parts for scroll saws etc It might be worth contacting some of the model engineer groups online to see if any of them wants to make some parts? I know many of them have milling machines etc and Lathes and for something like blade clamps etc then they are very basic bits of metal and those guys would have no problem making them in return for a few quid or maybe they'd like a nice scrolled sign for their workshops? either way it might work out pretty handy for you guys who like to restore the classic scrollsaws etc.
Cheers
Brian

OH is a model engineer. As I have already said I. This thread he repaired my granddads bandsaw for me by machining up new parts for it. However what puts me off of buying the record one linked is not just the price but also the size of it. My current scroll saw has a throat of 16" and this is quite adequate for my needs. I just find the vibration of the thing and the foot not satisfactory.

Walney Col":2tzygc2r said:
I know it's not an expensive hobby (it can't be cos I'm in it) but I've lost count of the number of times hegners and axminsters have been suggested to people who clearly state up front that they're on a tight budget. IMO it does no good and rarely if ever makes the hobby seem accessible.

£70 Rexon and proud.

I quite agree. If I could afford a hegner even a second-hand one, I would have bought it by now. However for what I want to use it for I can't justify spending that sort of money on one as it won't be used continuously and its just another tool to add to my list of power tools that I do find useful for my work.

scrimper":2tzygc2r said:
(Doris if you read this thread my advice was genuinely made and in good faith and I was trying to help rather than being 'snobbish') :)

No offence taken all input I have taken on board and am now regretting not going for the original saw I should add
, after watching several users getting so uptight about the subject. I guess strollers are a passionate bunch.

powertools":27v9bws7 said:
Not wishing to throw any more fuel on to the raging fire that this thread has become I will just say that the saw scrimper linked to has been on ebay for several months and a few weeks ago I phoned the seller about it. The picture shows it without a blade fitted and I wanted to know if the lower blade clamp was there and he told me it was missing and I didn't want to go to the hassle of trying to get one from the USA but he did say that he would accept an offer of £90 for it.
For anybody needing a top of the range saw at a bargain price who is prepared to then source the clamp you could not do better.
If the smaller one on ebay at the moment was closer I would bid on that. These Hawk saws are about the best you can get but parts are not available in the uk.

That looks to be a good deal if they would accept £90. I realise that Record did not make these but they did put their name on them, perhaps they still have a few spares in their stores? In any case it might be possible to fettle a new lower clamp oneself? :)

scrimper":1yse2ywc said:
I presume this one is out of your price range?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-Power- ... 233d945847

Only they do say open to offers, it's in Essex and it's a well built quality saw, It has Record branding but I understand it was made for them by RBI Hawk a quality US maker.

Variable speed too!

Unless there's a few people used the same photo, that one has been up for sale for at least 12 months. I considered it when I was looking for a saw last year but wanted something nearer that I could see first. I reckon a quick wipe over with a rag would make it more saleable.

martinka":j9qs16yh said:
scrimper":j9qs16yh said:
I presume this one is out of your price range?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-Power- ... 233d945847

Only they do say open to offers, it's in Essex and it's a well built quality saw, It has Record branding but I understand it was made for them by RBI Hawk a quality US maker.

Variable speed too!

Unless there's a few people used the same photo, that one has been up for sale for at least 12 months. I considered it when I was looking for a saw last year but wanted something nearer that I could see first. I reckon a quick wipe over with a rag would make it more saleable.

Yes that is odd! it's covered in thick dust, surely it would be sensible to give it a quick clean before taking the photo and it would more likely sell! One could argue that if they could not be bothered to give it a clean would they be any more bothered to help if one had a problem with the sale process?

Also Powertools said that in his enquiry about the saw the seller told him the lower blade clamp was missing, one would think they should mention this in their ebay listing especially as the saw cannot be used without it!

Back