Is this saw worth a punt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I presume this one is out of your price range?
[Link removed]
Only they do say open to offers, it's in Essex and it's a well built quality saw, It has Record branding but I understand it was made for them by RBI Hawk a quality US maker.

Variable speed too!

Doris":r25ony2m said:
What kind of work would be involved in "tinkering" with a scroll saw? I mean can you inprove it by tinkering with it on older saws or can this be done with newer saws too?

The sort of tinkering I had in mind falls into to basic categories; 1. replacing worn out parts such as bearings and motor brushes (only really applies to older machines), and 2. upgrading existing features such as improving blower capacity and fitting quick release clamps/dedicated lighting/electronic speed controls etc. It won't be possible to do every modification to every saw on the planet but virtually any saw could be improved one way or another even to the extent of re-balancing the drive train to reduce vibration.

Doris":r25ony2m said:
I had another quick search yesterday and came across this one. What is the difference between a powered fret saw and a scroll saw btw?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181482125492? ... 1423.l2649
Most scroll saws use a cam action and linkages to move both arms in unison. But that particular saw uses a vibrating machanism under the table to pull the blade down against built-in the "springyness" of the top arm. Since 99% of your average scroll saw's cutting in done on the downstroke anyway there's nothing particularly wrong with the spring-return idea except that on the up-stroke the blades can flex as the tension reduces which can cause grabbing of the work piece. The other common complaint with vibrating saws is that the electrical coils which are sometimes used to create the pulling action can often overheat... I had one up till recently (of a different brand) and the over heating was so bad I had to run the vacuum under the table not to collect sawdust but to provide a cooling flow if I wanted to work for more than 10 minutes non stop. Apart from that I loved my vibro saw. It was small and light enough to pick up and put in a cupboard after use and it did some half decent work and my daughter still uses it to this day.

Hope some of that helps Doris. I can see why you thought your thread was done and dusted after the first couple of replies but IMO very few things are quite as black and white as those posts portrayed it.

Hi Doris,
If you can run to the Record saw which Scrimper has put the link to, you will not be disappointed I have the 26 inch version and it is as good as it gets
John

the vibro saw I worked over for a friend was a real PITA, took a lot of work to get cutting well, it did manage it in the end but the vibes were still pretty bad and the return on the spring wasn't smooth and would jam quite a bit. did put a reverse skip in there to see what would happen, note to all, don't do this. it struggled with all blades that were not wide too at first, we reset the pull of the coils (potentiometer) which helped a lot and a softer top arm (leaf spring from a buggy) made it work well with the jewelry blades she wanted to run.

I'll take your points on board next time I get it dropped on the work bench with the instructions to "make this bloody thing work", although she has since picked up a similar saw to me and is over the moon with it, she can even do jewelry with it apparently lol, she does still use the little one though, as it can be taken to fairs and such.

Walney Col":59m26mj9 said:
Doris":59m26mj9 said:
My budget is between £50-80, the less the better if possible.

Why is there always someone wanting to triple what a person says they can spend?

Have I actually done any harm by simply bringing a decent saw to a persons attention? Quite often people post here with a budget price of what they wish to spend but then end up paying a little more for a much better saw. The saw is a top range saw for what seems to me to be a pretty decent price and the seller does state open to offers, what is there to lose by looking?

However Doris can quite easily choose to simply ignore my post! I was merely trying offer a little help, I have no connection at all with the seller I just think it's a nice machine. :)

scrimper":ri0up4no said:
Walney Col":ri0up4no said:
Doris":ri0up4no said:
My budget is between £50-80, the less the better if possible.

Why is there always someone wanting to triple what a person says they can spend?

Have I actually done any harm by simply bringing a decent saw to a persons attention? Quite often people post here with a budget price of what they wish to spend but then end up paying a little more for a much better saw. The saw is a top range saw for what seems to me to be a pretty decent price and the seller does state open to offers, what is there to lose by looking?

However Doris can quite easily choose to simply ignore my post! I was merely trying offer a little help, I have no connection at all with the seller I just think it's a nice machine. :)

I'd take a punt on that one if I had the beans and didn't have a saw already. leave it a day then see what they will take.

there is also another 22" jobby on ebay right now at 40 quid buy it now, but it's in worchester.

I didn't say you'd done any harm. But suggesting a £180 spend when Doris had already said £50 - £80 and "the less the better" isn't exactly helping her find a machine that's within her reach. Now if you'd have found a saw with potential for LESS than her budget I'd have been impressed.

calm down Col. (yes that phrase makes me wont to hit someone too) the post was made in good intention. no harm no foul. hopefully Doris will be along with another suggestion for a saw soon enough.

Walney Col":32iskgsv said:
I didn't say you'd done any harm. But suggesting a £180 spend when Doris had already said £50 - £80 and "the less the better" isn't exactly helping her find a machine that's within her reach. Now if you'd have found a saw with potential for LESS than her budget I'd have been impressed.

If it annoys you that much I will willingly remove the link to the saw though even if it 'hinders' Doris someone else might be interested! I can't really understand why you are making an issue of the post? Doris does not appear to be too bothered by it! :mrgreen:

phil.p":3crshrow said:
Maybe it's time to have a new rule for discussion - No mention is to be made of Sex, Politics, Religion or Scroll saws. :)

Lol I thought scroll sawing was a Religion! :lol: :lol:

Let's put it this way... if I told somebody my budget was 50 to 80 and the less the better and they replied with a suggestion that I take a look at something for £180 I'd assume one of three things... either they were deaf and didn't hear me, they didn't really give a monkeys what I could afford they just wanted to voice an opinion, or that scroll sawing was a really expensive and/or snobbish hobby and probably not for me.

I know it's not an expensive hobby (it can't be cos I'm in it) but I've lost count of the number of times hegners and axminsters have been suggested to people who clearly state up front that they're on a tight budget. IMO it does no good and rarely if ever makes the hobby seem accessible.

£70 Rexon and proud.

Walney Col":13bp59g8 said:
Let's put it this way... if I told somebody my budget was 50 to 80 and the less the better and they replied with a suggestion that I take a look at something for £180 I'd assume one of three things... either they were deaf and didn't hear me, they didn't really give a monkeys what I could afford they just wanted to voice an opinion, or that scroll sawing was a really expensive and/or snobbish hobby and probably not for me.

You really do have a 'bee in your bonnet' about this don't you! I am sure Doris can decide for herself but for the Record I am not deaf but in any case I could read the message even if I was but TBH I think it is a bit insulting to suggest that I don't give a monkeys (to use your words) or be snobbish when all I was doing was trying to offer help.

However I really don't want to keep wasting my time justifying my post to you especially when my advice was meant for someone else so I will let you win the argument and have the last word but I will leave the link in my post in case it is of interest to anyone else.

(Doris if you read this thread my advice was genuinely made and in good faith and I was trying to help rather than being 'snobbish') :)

phil.p":xjnrfyym said:
Maybe it's time to have a new rule for discussion - No mention is to be made of Sex, Politics, Religion or Scroll saws. :)

Have you seen the news today? a Ex MP who retired to become a priest has been accused of sexual assault while teaching a young lady how to work a Scroll Saw! How Very Dare He! :wink:

This thread has already cost us one member - looks as though scrolling is the new sharpening. Where's Jacob?

Not wishing to throw any more fuel on to the raging fire that this thread has become I will just say that the saw scrimper linked to has been on ebay for several months and a few weeks ago I phoned the seller about it. The picture shows it without a blade fitted and I wanted to know if the lower blade clamp was there and he told me it was missing and I didn't want to go to the hassle of trying to get one from the USA but he did say that he would accept an offer of £90 for it.
For anybody needing a top of the range saw at a bargain price who is prepared to then source the clamp you could not do better.
If the smaller one on ebay at the moment was closer I would bid on that. These Hawk saws are about the best you can get but parts are not available in the uk.

Regarding spare and missing parts for scroll saws etc It might be worth contacting some of the model engineer groups online to see if any of them wants to make some parts? I know many of them have milling machines etc and Lathes and for something like blade clamps etc then they are very basic bits of metal and those guys would have no problem making them in return for a few quid or maybe they'd like a nice scrolled sign for their workshops? either way it might work out pretty handy for you guys who like to restore the classic scrollsaws etc.
Cheers
Brian

The new manufacturer will post to UK and the bottom blade holder is 19.95 dollars
John

Back