Advice on reasonable scroll saw and extras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoublem

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting out in the world of wood craft and looking for a reasonably priced scroll saw for a novice that is both not too loud and efficient. I currently make sculptures using plaster and wanted to incorporate wood with plaster and to also expand my product range with some basic wood items. One project I'd like to do is be able to cut into the centre of some log slices that are approx 25mm thick.

I've had a scroll saw in the past that I barely used but it seemed a little loud and I didn't particularly like the way it worked. It was a budget B&Q model.

Can anyonee also give any suggestions on some cheap sanding tools so that I can smooth sides of some of the wood I cut. If I were to cut narrow lettering out how does one get into narrow grooves with a sander. Is it a case of using sand paper on some areas? I don't have a large budget to get started with everything so anything in or under £250 would be ideal.

Is a specific mask and extractor a must have for working with the likes of mdf and plywood?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If I was to recommend a scroll saw it would be either a Delta 40-540 or 40-560 type 2 both fitted with the Quickset blade clamps. I've have owned both for over 25 years and they're both still working. Unfortunately they are now only available second hand. As for sanding the side of the wood I've never had to do it, the blades should leave it smooth enough not to require it.

I may be selling mine if interested, I bought from a friend but never used it.
Hi, Iay be interested, what is the brand if you don't mind me asking? I'm not looking for anything special as just getting started but I've read lots of horror stories on some of the generic and cheaper models. I definitely need something that allows for easy change of blades and is preferably quite?

Can anyone recommend the draper or axminster scroll saws? The generic brands as sold on Amazon and Ebay just seem too hit and miss so would prefer a recognised brand behind the saw but at this moment can't go for the higher end brands due to budget unless I see any at auction.

Can anyone recommend the draper or axminster scroll saws? The generic brands as sold on Amazon and Ebay just seem too hit and miss so would prefer a recognised brand behind the saw but at this moment can't go for the higher end brands due to budget unless I see any at auction.

Re the axminster saws, you'll need to be a bit more specific - some are pretty good, others said to be "not so much good". So which model/s have you got your eye on?

I strongly suggest you do a bit of searching around in this section. For example you'll find many posts by people with experience of saws of various colours and various name labels, pretty much all of which turn out to be "the same saw" (give or take minor features) coming out of the same Chinese factory, being sold atr widely different prices.

I can well understand your confusion. You've made a good start by (on your other post) reading member scrimpers "Why pay more .... ?" post. Now I'd strongly recommend more reading, not only here but also do a general google search for Scroll Saws. That'll throw up lots of links, many in the US, but helpful all the same. Yes, you CAN confuse yourself by reading too much, but basically the more "general stuff" on scrolling that you pick up, the "better"/more focused your questions will be.

HTH

Hi, Iay be interested, what is the brand if you don't mind me asking? I'm not looking for anything special as just getting started but I've read lots of horror stories on some of the generic and cheaper models. I definitely need something that allows for easy change of blades and is preferably quite?
I'll have a look tomorrow, it may be Parkside, it's all metal construction with a flexi drill attachment for drilling the pilot holes, as for ease of use, I couldn't comment as I've never used it, bought it for the sake of having it, now it just sits there gathering dust.

Any scroll saw that retails for less than £250 new is mostly the same saw under different retail labels and not worth considering if you want ease of use, so a second hand saw would be your best bet
(cheap saws can work well and produce good things, they are just not as easy to use as better, usually more expensive saws)

I can heartily recommend the Axminster AWFS18 (later AT460SS) which is a Hegnar clone, mine has served me very well, easy blade change, deep throat and quiet compared to many of the cheap saws (of which I also have two)

There is currently one roughly in your area (depending on your location)

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22603971...g8eDGhHjp/oU3sPYt02XxazQ==|tkp:Bk9SR673iZbIYw>

Ignore their suggestion it was £800, but it was around £500+ new

As to sanding, use the right blade and it will be minimal, but thin strips of sandpaper, nail files, small files (cheap at Aldi/Lidl from time to time)

You can also use an old blade and stick sandpaper or a cut down nail file to it and use the power of the saw to sand

Here are the photos
20240315_132621.jpg20240315_132627.jpg20240315_132740.jpg20240315_132757.jpg20240315_132805.jpg

Back