Is this saw worth a punt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
martinka":2fi9o1gq said:
Maybe even as far as 16 quid. ;)
*Shock Horror* As high as £16!!! haha

My strategy when I fall in love with an ebay find and just have to have it is to go to my ebay purchase history (to ensure I've got a login that's not going to time out any second) they to type my absolute best bid into the box click the bid button JUST ONCE then sit and watch the minutes and seconds counting down till there's between 7 and 8 seconds to go then click CONFIRM BID.

It's called sniping (not surprisingly ha) and the idea is that the other folks who're doing the same simply don't have time to react and up their bids.

It often works but every once in a while there's a chap who obviously wants it £1.11 more than I do and had already put a higher bid in in which case there's nothing for it but to go sulk. :-(

Chippygeoff":3fwmnj7t said:
All experienced scrollers know that it is a dog of a scroll saw and it is hard work trying to produce something half decent on one let alone the frustrations of blade changing.

Can you back up your claims that "All experienced scrollers know that it is a dog of a scroll saw" ?
Please let us know of your experience with this particular scrollsaw ?

I take offence at your comment as I'm a very experienced scroller and do not share your views so please do not speak for all of us !

Scrollerman this is not the first time our paths have crossed, you have posted adverse comments in the past on what I have posted on the forum. With everything I write, including the articles I have submitted, it is aimed at the beginner to scroll sawing. As a result I have had hundreds of positive comments and thanks for the help and advice I have given. I have people come to my home to learn the skills required on a regular basis. I have been a scroll saw user since the early 1980s so I feel qualified to answer many of the questions posted on the forum. I also have regular PMs from members asking for advice.

Over this period of time I have used most scroll saws, mostly at exhibitions, retail outlets and visiting many friends who own many different types of scroll saw. I have owned several different scroll saws so again I feel I am qualified to comment.

Obviously you are not that experienced a scroller. You only have to go back and read the post from members who have owned the cheaper machines and the consensus is quite plain to see that the majority are not happy with what they have got. For many it is the only machine they have ever used so they are unable to compare a cheapie with a better machine. There is no way I could produce the work I do on the type of machine that Doris posted about. They are at the lower end of the market, the quality of materials used leaves a lot to be desired.

So in future Scrollerman just keep your mouth shut as you are clearly out of your depth.

Chippygeoff":on5ove7i said:
So in future Scrollerman just keep your mouth shut as you are clearly out of your depth.

I don't agree with everything that scrollerman writes but TBH I think that comment is out of order, unkind and unnecessary, everyone is entitled to air their views without being told to shut up! :roll:

novocaine":1ddklzei said:
well I hope who ever bought it is happy with it.

We shall probably never know unless it was Doris and she comes back and tells us! However at £15 it has to be worthwhile to someone. :)

Chippygeoff":29qpnggg said:
Scrollerman this is not the first time our paths have crossed, you have posted adverse comments in the past on what I have posted on the forum. With everything I write, including the articles I have submitted, it is aimed at the beginner to scroll sawing. As a result I have had hundreds of positive comments and thanks for the help and advice I have given. I have people come to my home to learn the skills required on a regular basis. I have been a scroll saw user since the early 1980s so I feel qualified to answer many of the questions posted on the forum. I also have regular PMs from members asking for advice.

Over this period of time I have used most scroll saws, mostly at exhibitions, retail outlets and visiting many friends who own many different types of scroll saw. I have owned several different scroll saws so again I feel I am qualified to comment.

Obviously you are not that experienced a scroller. You only have to go back and read the post from members who have owned the cheaper machines and the consensus is quite plain to see that the majority are not happy with what they have got. For many it is the only machine they have ever used so they are unable to compare a cheapie with a better machine. There is no way I could produce the work I do on the type of machine that Doris posted about. They are at the lower end of the market, the quality of materials used leaves a lot to be desired.

I think that the problem is that you assume that all people wanting to take up scroll sawing want be a scrolling tycoon like yourself but most just want a hobby and I feel that your response to scrollerman was out of order I have never seen anybody criticise your helpful posts but you need to understand that not all are trying to achieve the goals you tell us that you achieve for yourself.
I think you owe scrollerman an apology.

powertools":35mfhzco said:
I think that the problem is that you assume that all people wanting to take up scroll sawing want be a scrolling tycoon like yourself but most just want a hobby and I feel that your response to scrollerman was out of order I have never seen anybody criticise your helpful posts but you need to understand that not all are trying to achieve the goals you tell us that you achieve for yourself.
I think you owe scrollerman an apology.
Well said. =D>
To issue any flat out definitive statement rather than offer a single person's opinion is always a sticky wicket to bat on and chippygeoff was downright rude about it to boot.

powertools":1h6kgtux said:
In view of the fact that Doris has not returned to the thread I think you may be right.

Lol the seller of the saw also came from Essex! :lol:

scrimper":o1mbtb0v said:
powertools":o1mbtb0v said:
In view of the fact that Doris has not returned to the thread I think you may be right.

Lol the seller of the saw also came from Essex! :lol:
That's hardly surprising. A 22" throat scroll saw must weigh a ton and I'd not expect a seller to parcel one up and post it. :)

powertools":2ijhp0d4 said:

Yes sorry I haven't returned to this thread as I had in fact forgotten about it.

I am sad to say I didn't bid on it in the end as I remember seeing the first 2 posts to this thread and concluded it wasn't worth it and so didn't bid and thought that the thread would then quickly die a sudden death. I was suprised that it then carried on for another 3 pages when I checked it yesterday.

I find the suspicious nature of some users quite amusing. :lol:

Walney Col":2ijhp0d4 said:
Also on the plus side it's undoubtedly a brushed motor which means that one of the many £7ish electronic speed controllers will instantly turn it into a variable speed jobbie. Personally I think it's well worth the £15 starting price and I'd even say as high as £25 on the understanding that there will be things you'll want to do to it to bring it up to scratch.

So the bottom line is if you enjoy tinkering with machinery it may well be worth a punt... and if you don't it probably wont.

What kind of work would be involved in "tinkering" with a scroll saw? I mean can you inprove it by tinkering with it on older saws or can this be done with newer saws too?

I should add that the OH (DTR) is quite happy to do a bit of tinkering on machinary if it involves some form of metalwork or electrical work of course. He recently fixed my Granddad's Burgess bandsaw for a couple of quid after my Dad had neglected it. Wiring in a new switch, replacing the guild wheels, making new knobs etc. Runs much better now.

Chippygeoff":2ijhp0d4 said:
Doris. If you do see another saw that takes your eye then please let the forum know and we can advise you on the pros and cons because in all probability one of us probably owns the same saw you are looking at.

I had another quick search yesterday and came across this one. What is the difference between a powered fret saw and a scroll saw btw?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181482125492? ... 1423.l2649

normally the spelling. :D

that one I wouldn't want to deal with, it is designed for a heavier set blade. the undriven top arm will be a pain to set up and it is small.

keep looking, you will find what you are after. :D

Doris":p3svzzk4 said:
I had another quick search yesterday and came across this one. What is the difference between a powered fret saw and a scroll saw btw?

[link removed]

I would not consider that one Doris, it's basically not much better than a toy IMHO.

'Tinkering' with a scroll saw could mean not much more than giving it a clean, some oil and a bit of adjustment, by their nature scroll saws don't do that much hard work of get abused as much as other woodworking machines.

Keep looking and post your 'candidates' here, we will let you know when you find a good 'un'! :)

Latest posts

Back