If Carlsberg made knives.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel":3njxnp4y said:
jimi43":3njxnp4y said:
Fascinating!!

I want that linisher!!! :shock:

How hard can it be to make one.....mmmm.

I simply have to watch that until I can remember all the fabulous tips and jigs....and the place it so clean!!

I'm putting a bucket of water under my sander tomorrow...!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing....made my night.

Jimi

Thanks too.

You could certain build something similar, maybe smaller.

slide-robust.jpg

Retails at $750 US without the motor. Belts (72" x 2") would be a fortune but imagine they would last a long time.

This appears to be the maker of the linisher, but they no longer list it, that I can see.

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/

Edit; my mistake (politely pointed out by Noel)

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/ ... ?itemid=11

BugBear

His bevel grinding jig (used on the now-famous linisher) was geometrically interesting;

Due to the large planar tool rest, the workpiece had full freedom in X and Y, but was fully constrained in the presentation angle by the jig.

The motion is simply the jig's (flat) base over the tool rests flat surface, a bit like a surface gauge on a surface plate.

BugBear

Noel":gwvijwwl said:
Whole new world out there with home made belt sanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWhflmTACc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEZhs7gwpNQ

From an old Skil belt sander: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNgL_Lo1PE

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYllaxuzMk0

Many, many more on Youtube.

Be interesting if you do indeed make one Jim.

Oh Noel...what have you done!!? :lol:

There are both ends of the spectrum in those videos aren't there!? :shock:

I have to admit...not only does the aluminium one look cooler...it also looks easier..I can't weld and I don't have a pickup truck! :mrgreen:

Way too big for my use though...but about the right width band...if not too small...maybe 75mm would be better.

I spend the morning looking at aluminium extrusion suppliers...and I found one I like...now...the 2 x72" belts are US so I wonder what is a smaller size in the UK...I would probably want wider but shorter...a small variable speed DC motor similar to the one on my lathe and mill..., I have the speed controller...so set of rollers...that should be fun to source....and a few brackets...

Job done! :mrgreen:

Isn't it amazing how something as simple as a little thread on knives turns into a major project....

I have now decided I need a new workshop to put all this in...so the garage is getting cleared...which means a skip....

Thanks mate! :wink:

Jim

Jim, look forward to a new WIP build thread.
Very soon........

phil.p":1y1bkoah said:
75mm? Maybe 50mm would be more versatile, as it would go into concavities better?

Ah...I bow to your experience there Phil....see...I would have gone off half-cocked before I even started.

So...50mm it is...I have an account with METALLIN so I guess I must be fairly serious but I have to finish a few jobs first...the first of which is an X-Y table for my Proxxon mini drill....wait...hang on...I can use the same type of extrusion then...

Sorted! 8)

I will stick a WIP in Metalworking...sound's like a plan!

And ALFIE says he's gonna supply the barque!!

Coat....? :oops:

Yes...I think that one deserves the coat.... :oops:

Jimi

whiskywill":ox5ti2f8 said:
Racers":ox5ti2f8 said:
with a drill press some files and a barque.

Why do you need a small sailing ship when making a knife? What is the barque you are using?

Its that Smell Checker and my dislx diselx dis..word blinddednes.

Pete

Thanks Grayorm, I'm very tempted.

My parkside hand held beltsander has taken some punishment and is still going strong.

Includes an adjustable, transparent spark protector and metal protective hoods for maximum safety

What no bucket of water ?

Any idea of what make dremmel he is using (start of the video), I need one for that exact purpose.

Mr_P":3aex9hum said:
Thanks Grayorm, I'm very tempted.

My parkside hand held beltsander has taken some punishment and is still going strong.

Any idea of what make dremmel he is using (start of the video), I need one for that exact purpose.

It says JOBM on the side so Jobmate? looks like a cheap one, my Aldi/Lidl one works fine and was £13 or so.

Pete

Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxtech_Consumer_Products so looks like Canadian.

Hey All!
Grayorm pointed me to this thread, thanks for taking a look at the video!

Lots of questions I can see, I'll answer them each as well as I can.

First up though, the 'dremel' that I'm using is actually a super cheap (and very poor quality) store brand rotary tool. Wouldn't recommend it if I'm honest. I picked it up for $14 when I was off-site for a job and it's managed to hang around (read: not die) since then!

There were a few questions as to why I use A2 steel and kydex for my sheaths:

I decided to use A2 after I did a lot of testing with various steels, I would love to post links to the testing but my account is not enabled for that yet apparently.

The summary is that A2 is tougher, more corrosion resistant and holds an edge better than O1. It actually has performance practically identical to the toughest of the high-end powder steels CPM3V. It's MUCH tougher than any of the stainlesses that I've tried so far, though I have a new heat-treat lined up for testing with CPM154 that I expect will improve it's results quite a bit.

That huge amount of toughness that A2 has lets me take my blades to a very high hardness (62.5HRC, 800 Vickers HV), while still keeping my blades very thin (they're 0.38mm thick behind the edge). The combination of high hardness and thin geometry produces a knife that cuts easily and holds it's edge very well. Bear in mind that these knives are meant to see hard use like splitting firewood and so on, if I was making knives for say kitchen use I could go even thinner in the blade.

A2 would be a bit of unusual choice for a knife made in the UK or Europe as I believe it's much less available there, in North America it's much more common so it was a natural choice to test. Next year I'll be doing another round of steel testing comparing A2 to more of the high end powder steels like CPM3V, CPM4V, CPMS35VN, as well as some time-tested favourites like AEB-L and 1095.

As for Kydex: I'm definitely aware that kydex is less pretty than leather, however it also has much less maintenance associated with it. Moisture and varying climates pose no problems for it, and it's great for someone that uses their knife a lot as it retains the knife without need for clasps or straps. It has it's downsides, it tends to scratch blades and it's definitely not as pretty as leather, but given my current options I think it's overall the best choice for a working knife.

Regarding kydex in cold climates, I did some testing on this just recently. The result is that kydex definitely loses toughness at low temperatures (I was testing at -50ºC or lower), but you'd need to really beat on it to get it to crack/fail still. I used a hammer :) I'll be investigating new options for sheath materials early next year. For instance I wasn't aware that Zytel (fibre reinforced nylon) was available in sheets the same way that Kydex is, that looks like it might be a good candidate for a wider range of service temperatures!

To be clear, you don't need anywhere near this number of tools to make knives, just the extra tools help the job go quickly and consistently. I have a number of videos on my YouTube channel that show basic jigs for filing bevels, and also simple heat-treat recipes for O1... I'll be doing some more instructional videos soon showing how to make knives with the bare minimum of tools.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions! If we can setup my account to post URLs I'll happily provide links to more detailed photos of my grinding jig and so on.

All the best,
Aaron

Hi Aaron, more importantly tell us (well me and Jim : )) about the Beaumont belt grinder. What grit do you have on it?

Back