If Carlsberg made knives.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel":26kedbgg said:
Hi Aaron, more importantly tell us (well me and Jim : )) about the Beaumont belt grinder. What grit do you have on it?

Haha, yes sir! :)

There were 2 main belts you saw in the video. The first was the one I used for profiling the blank and that was a 36 grit Norton Blaze belt, the second was the one I used while doing the bevels and that was a 60 Grit blaze belt.

The belts aren't that expensive (at least over here in Canada). The blaze belts are the high-end option as they use artificial ceramic grit, and those are $7-9 each. There are cheaper ceramic options for around $5-6 each. Aluminum oxide belts in higher grits run $2-3 each.

The blaze belts last an astonishingly long time. I get at least 10+ knives from each belt doing bevels. The 36 grit belt I use for the profiling has probably done 20+ knives at this point, as well as a lot of other rough work.

I have changed my grinding process a little since doing that video. I now do the majority of my bevel grinding with a 120 blaze belt, then I use 400 & 600 grit Aluminum Oxide belts to finish the bevels. I do the finishing freehand as I find it helps me avoid washing out the plunge lines.

The grinder is a really nice machine. It's 2HP, with fully electronic variable speed. The motor is a TEFC motor, and the speed control is NEMA4X rated, which means it's sealed so well you can even wash it down with a hose! That's great as otherwise the metal dust would get inside and cause issues.

That grinder hurt my wallet quite a lot when I bought it, but I've never had a single issue with it so it was definitely money well spent. The company that makes them won't export them outside the US, so I had to beg a friend to pick it up for me while he was on holiday! To get one outside of the US you'd have to use a freight forwarding service, which honestly shouldn't be difficult, just costly.

Mr_P":2e0w7abg said:

Funny story about that machine! I ended up selling it to a woodworker as I was looking to upgrade to a small CNC mill. However the money got absorbed by other things in my shop like the grinder...

They guy I sold the CNC to ended up becoming a friend as I helped him learn the basics of CNC and running that machine. He's put well over 1000 hours of runtime on that machine making these 3D wooden tiles that is one of his specialties. The machine is still going strong though it's definitely required a fair bit of upkeep over the years.

He's just bought a new machine (4'x8' ShopBot) and I'll actually be buying the Fireball back off him, mainly for the electronics which I way over-specced for that machine. The electronics (stepper drivers and stepper motors) are quite capable of running a medium sized CNC mill!

It's a cool little machine and it will be coming back to do duty engraving the logos on my knives until the electronics get donated to a more sturdy machine.

Kalimna":3f4d47vg said:
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to make such an informative post. It's always interesting to hear directly from the toolmaker the reasons for their choices.
Cheers,
Adam

No worries! I always love chatting with other people that make things, whatever they may be!

Hi Aaron, thanks for joining up. You'll find this an interesting forum with decent guys and no squabbling.....unless you mention the 'S' word. (Sharpening).

Uh-oh....................here we go.

Grayorm":1qdkwyxa said:
Hi Aaron, thanks for joining up. You'll find this an interesting forum with decent guys and no squabbling.....unless you mention the 'S' word. (Sharpening).

Uh-oh....................here we go.

Sounds like a good place!

Looks like you are in a good place.

Orders are currently closed...

Due to the overwhelming number of orders I have been receiving I have had to close my order list in order to catch up. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank-you for all your support!

Congratulations, it's good to see a craftsman being rewarded for his skill/research and hard work.

=D> =D> =D>

Mr_P":fi0vn9wl said:

Looks like you are in a good place.

Orders are currently closed...

Due to the overwhelming number of orders I have been receiving I have had to close my order list in order to catch up. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank-you for all your support!

Congratulations, it's good to see a craftsman being rewarded for his skill/research and hard work.

=D> =D> =D>

Thanks mate! It's very hard to even consider keeping up with demand because I'm still working on the knives part-time whenever I'm not at my day job. I'm looking at ways to move toward making it more of my overall work in the future though.

My main concern is that I don't want making things to become 'just another job' so I'm trying to make sure I work smart, rather than just busting my @ss for the next 50 years. I have a lot of respect for those that are able to do the same thing over and over for the long haul but unfortunately I'm not cut out for that (neither mentally nor physically).

With that in mind I'm trying to work out how to be clever about it going forward. I really love robotics and CNC (I'm a software developer by day) so I'm looking to see where it make sense to incorporate newer tech into my process. I think the combination of old-school ideals regarding quality mixed with modern tech can be a very powerful thing!

Thanks for joining up Aaron...definitely a great move for all concerned...it's wonderful seeing something fresh and new once in a while and we don't get much knife stuff on the hand tool forum.

Yes...the grinder..marvellous...I have never seen that design before and now that I have the idea in my head...I think another project is afoot!

Sadly there is never enough time in the day for all these things...

I am now off to watch the rest of your videos....not a major knife fan (sorry! :oops: ) but I certainly want to see the kit in use again!

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":osq5ztff said:
I am now off to watch the rest of your videos....not a major knife fan (sorry! :oops: ) but I certainly want to see the kit in use again!

No worries on that front!

One of the nice thing about knifemaking is that the skills involved are also applicable to many other hand tools. Making chisels and plane irons for instance would mainly be a case of design changes, the metallurgy side of it is pretty much 100% overlapping with knifemaking. Having the skills to make metal tools is hugely useful, and not nearly as difficult as many would suspect!

Has anyone done an a2 infill plane ?

Come on Aaron, you know you want too.

Mr_P":327a1crj said:
Has anyone done an a2 infill plane ?

Come on Aaron, you know you want too.

Can't say I've ever seen an infill plane before, the photos I just got after a quick Google look beautiful!

I don't have any plans to make plane irons just yet. A2 plane irons are definitely available, can't say I've seen any in the high end powder steels though! I'm sure a plane iron made from CPMM4 at 61+HRC would be pretty amazing!

Look up Holtey Planes Aaron.....they'll make you drool.

HOLTEY.JPG

Had you for a Brit for some reason?

Attachments

• HOLTEY.JPG
    HOLTEY.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 761
Hi Aaron and welcome to the looney bin. And as a fellow Canuckian , glad to have ya amigo. In Canadian terms I'm just down the road from you in Beautiful Bruce County (capitalization intentional). You are gonna love these guys , trust me. They've put up with my nonsense for quite some time which speaks well for their patience . And we have a pretty fair number of genuine experts in a wide variety of fields , so plenty to talk about. As I've not made any of my own knives yet I look forward to many an illuminating chat with you on the subject, be kind though as I may catch on a bit slowly. :oops:

Grayorm":262sezey said:
Look up Holtey Planes Aaron.....they'll make you drool.

Had you for a Brit for some reason?

Looks amazing! Love the dovetailed brass and steel, as well as the dark wood (looks like ebony or maybe ironwood?)

I'm an Aussie mate, living in Canada. I guess you could say I'm an ex-brit :D

Wonderful looking knives there, I can't wait until I can have a crack at making one myself. Just need a couple more tools first.

Keep up the good work!

I have a thought in the back of my head that Konrad Sauer (another chap residing in Canada) has made an A2 infill plane, and from his blog I know he has been using the Veritas PM steel for blades.
At some point I would like to acquire a Sauer plane, but haven't won the lottery yet, so.......

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":1j0dk4jm said:
I have a thought in the back of my head that Konrad Sauer (another chap residing in Canada) has made an A2 infill plane, and from his blog I know he has been using the Veritas PM steel for blades.
At some point I would like to acquire a Sauer plane, but haven't won the lottery yet, so.......

Cheers,
Adam

I will say that I'm very curious about what that Veritas PM steel actually is. They never give the 'real' name of the steel, instead they have their branded name. Seems like a nice steel though!

Aaron, welcome to the forum, your knives are beautiful and I think you'll fit right in here. If you want to see a stunning infill, have a look at this thread by our very own own Jimi (who's also a bit, err, obsessive about details, in a good way :lol: );

the-ukw-infill-project-t64219.html

Back