If Carlsberg made knives.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noggsy":20qv42be said:
Aaron, welcome to the forum, your knives are beautiful and I think you'll fit right in here. If you want to see a stunning infill, have a look at this thread by our very own own Jimi (who's also a bit, err, obsessive about details, in a good way :lol: );

the-ukw-infill-project-t64219.html

Beautiful looking tool!

I love the dovetailed base. I have never thought of peening the metal into a dovetail like that, something I will have to remember!

aarongough":1vixw9fm said:
Noggsy":1vixw9fm said:
Aaron, welcome to the forum, your knives are beautiful and I think you'll fit right in here. If you want to see a stunning infill, have a look at this thread by our very own own Jimi (who's also a bit, err, obsessive about details, in a good way :lol: );

Beautiful looking tool!

I love the dovetailed base. I have never thought of peening the metal into a dovetail like that, something I will have to remember!

Glad you're around Aaron...I was going to ask you a few questions if I may about decarbonization of the fine edges....something I will probably encounter soon.

I assume that's why you wrap the knife in thermal foil...nickel..stainless steel...what do you use?

I tried finding some in the UK but I can only buy a huge roll for lots of dosh so I was probably just going to go with the old trick of sticking some charcoal in the kiln to eat up the oxygen...

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jimi

p.s. thanks for the kind words on the panel plane.

jimi43":1v7z3z8e said:
aarongough":1v7z3z8e said:
Noggsy":1v7z3z8e said:

Beautiful looking tool!

Glad you're around Aaron...I was going to ask you a few questions if I may about decarbonization of the fine edges....something I will probably encounter soon.

I assume that's why you wrap the knife in thermal foil...nickel..stainless steel...what do you use?

I tried finding some in the UK but I can only buy a huge roll for lots of dosh so I was probably just going to go with the old trick of sticking some charcoal in the kiln to eat up the oxygen...

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jimi

p.s. thanks for the kind words on the panel plane.

Hey mate!
Decarburization is definitely a concern when heat-treating. I use 309 stainless foil and anti-scale compound to keep oxygen from the blade. There is a compound available in the UK called 'Turco' which functions well as an anti-scale. The foil is necessary for tool steels like A2 that are kept at high temps for a long time. With steels like O1 where the temps are lower and the hold times shorter there is not so much need for the foil, you can usually get away with just using an anti-scale compound. Foil is also very hard to use in combination with an oil quench.

If you need to make an anti-scale compound for yourself then I believe you can do so by making a 'slip' of potters clay, and then dissolving some borax into it. This mixture would then be painted onto the steel (after it's thoroughly degreased) and left to dry before heat-treating. When quenching the coating should separate off the knife due to the thermal shock.

Also: I'd recommend staying away from using charcoal in the kiln. Most kiln elements aren't rated for being run in a reducing atmosphere (high Co2 atmosphere) as they rely on a protective oxide layer to preserver their life. Using charcoal in a kiln with 'normal' elements will significantly reduce their life.

I believe there are some kilns with special elements that are fine with reducing atmospheres, if you have one of those then you're a lucky guy!

Hi Arron

That is a most helpful advice indeed....and I was thinking that 01 might be a little easier...using foil as you say would be a nightmare with quenching in the oil..that was my conundrum!

I will seek out "Turco" and do some more research about this...I don't really want to ruin all the work so far.

All part of the learning curve I guess...

As for charcoal...I will heed your advice...the element seems to be imbedded in firebrick and completely encased from the inner environment...

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

I've no idea what make..it's for enamelling...

What do you reckon?

Thanks again

Jimi

jimi43":2t38axgu said:
Hi Arron

That is a most helpful advice indeed....and I was thinking that 01 might be a little easier...using foil as you say would be a nightmare with quenching in the oil..that was my conundrum!

I will seek out "Turco" and do some more research about this...I don't really want to ruin all the work so far.

All part of the learning curve I guess...

As for charcoal...I will heed your advice...the element seems to be imbedded in firebrick and completely encased from the inner environment...

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

I've no idea what make..it's for enamelling...

What do you reckon?

Thanks again

Jimi

That's an amazing little kiln! With the enclosed elements I doubt you're likely to have problems, but I'd still be cautious.

If the anti-scale works properly then you likely won't need the charcoal. I've heat-treated O1 in my kiln using anti-scale many times. The anti-scale usually blew off completely during the quench leaving the steel a pleasant matt grey. It sanded back to it's original finish very quickly using some 600 grit sandpaper.

I think anti-scale such as Turco would be a very good fit for your needs.

aarongough":11xgkjxt said:
That's an amazing little kiln! With the enclosed elements I doubt you're likely to have problems, but I'd still be cautious.

If the anti-scale works properly then you likely won't need the charcoal. I've heat-treated O1 in my kiln using anti-scale many times. The anti-scale usually blew off completely during the quench leaving the steel a pleasant matt grey. It sanded back to it's original finish very quickly using some 600 grit sandpaper.

I think anti-scale such as Turco would be a very good fit for your needs.

Yes...I was rather lucky getting that..another find in a Kentish field..at a bootfair...£25 and at the time I thought it was probably going to be a waste of money as I had thought my wife would want to use it to make jewellery but she wasn't interested. So a lucky accident really...I walked away from it once!

I'll get the anti-scale..that should do it..stick some charcoal in it for luck and then plunge at about 45 degrees into the big tub of oil as I normally do and see how it goes...

Cheers for the tips

Jimi

There's a topic on the Blade.com forum where Turco gets a bit of criticism- there's a new spray on the block which seems to perform well?

Rod

Racers":1my40xx0 said:
whiskywill":1my40xx0 said:
Racers":1my40xx0 said:
with a drill press some files and a barque.

Why do you need a small sailing ship when making a knife? What is the barque you are using?

Its that Smell Checker and my dislx diselx dis..word blinddednes.

Pete

Still no wiser. :? What is barque supposed to be?

Harbo":ij78rz8o said:
There's a topic on the Blade.com forum where Turco gets a bit of criticism- there's a new spray on the block which seems to perform well?

Rod

I haven't used Turco personally as it's not available over here... If there's something better then that sounds like the way to go!

I have searched everywhere I can in the UK to no avail....

TURCO seems to be unavailable...so I went looking for ATP-641....no luck....

So I have ordered some fire cement powder and Borax crystals to make a slip and am going to try that....

Unless someone knows of a source of anti-scale spray or paint available in the UK....it is a most elusive beastie! #-o

Jimi

Jim - you seem to be going all modern again here, with your electric furnace and branded compounds. Cross-linking this thread with the other one on floats and reading back a bit in Holtzapffel's Big Book, it says on page 831 that this is what file and rasp makers do:

"Previously to their being hardened, the files are drawn through beer grounds, yeast, or other sticky matter, and then through common salt, mixed with cow's hoof previously roasted and pounded, and which serve as a defence to protect the delicate teeth of the file from the direct action of the fire..."

I'm sure Annie wouldn't mind if you take over the kitchen for spot of cow hoof processing, if you explain that it's all in the cause of better tool making! :wink:

AndyT":3ddtm5jo said:
Jim - you seem to be going all modern again here, with your electric furnace and branded compounds. Cross-linking this thread with the other one on floats and reading back a bit in Holtzapffel's Big Book, it says on page 831 that this is what file and rasp makers do:

"Previously to their being hardened, the files are drawn through beer grounds, yeast, or other sticky matter, and then through common salt, mixed with cow's hoof previously roasted and pounded, and which serve as a defence to protect the delicate teeth of the file from the direct action of the fire..."

I'm sure Annie wouldn't mind if you take over the kitchen for spot of cow hoof processing, if you explain that it's all in the cause of better tool making! :wink:

I did actually consider the cow's hoof process....but in the end I dismissed it as just a load of bull!!! :mrgreen:

I'll get me smock.... :oops:

Jimi

Tom K":29fib74r said:
Did you find the manufacturers site Jim? Perhaps if you drop them an e-mail they can locate a supplier.
http://www.advancedtechnicalprod.com/index.html

While searching around I came across this site.
http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?
They don't stock the stuff you are looking for but looks like somewhere you would enjoy a nose around (hammer) For the gun smithing tools and supplies not that I think you have Rambo ambitions.

Cheers Tom....I emailed them.

Thanks for the link to the UK gun site...some rather dubious stuff there..."just add a tube" comes to mind! :mrgreen:

Strangely on almost all the products it says "SPECIAL ORDER" or "OUT OF STOCK"...so I presume they don't actually sell much...unless that refers to the action of the bullet? :mrgreen:

Coat...seems like such a nice day but I will get it... :oops:

Jimi

Racers":1016vi38 said:
He has all the kit hasn't he, wish I had that much!

Still you don't need it all to make knives I made these with a drill press some files and a barque.

Pete

Zombie thread revival!

Pete - I've just lucked into a nice old cooks knife, circa 1900, with rusty tang and lifting scales.

I would welcome information (probably just some links) on rehandling, especially rivets, pros/cons of washers+rivets, peining etc,

BugBear

Latest posts

Back