Box Mitre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring back Father Dougal.

Cut to manageable chunks and nuke it ?

Never tried it and don't blame me if you kill Mrs T's microwave.

I finally got around to setting about that lump of Lilac. I decided to let it go its own way so instead of ripping it on the bandsaw I just used handsaws ( cc then rip) to get through the crotch at the top and split the length of the rest with wedges through the existing crack and it is just as pretty as I had hoped.

Pink bits! ... Or Lilac bits I s'pose.

Usually this camera is not too good with showing true colours but this is spot on.

I also cleft a piece of Laburnum. I had given half of this bit to Bill C at the last Stanley auction, so this is half of my half.

And this is the chainsaw cut made two weeks ago

It's darkened a bit but not much. I will keep one half in the sunlight (where poss.) and the other half out of the light to see if there is any difference in darkening speed.

Thanks Jim. The Lilac seems not quite dry, it's cool to the touch and very heavy still. I'll see what it does now it's split.

That other, other angle.

I put the sole on to the skewed plane and made an iron for it, and with the iron held down onto the mouth it demands this angle of support:

Don't be alarmed by the foreshortening, it's just a 3 - 1/6th iron. There must be a way of measuring this angle and applying it to the back infill and to the cutaway at the back of the plane but while I was pondering this, instead of ploughing ahead in the dark, a started another one, straight. And I cut the sole out of 1/4" tool steel.

It's the first time I have made a bridge with the lower cut away and I did it ages before I saw Harry Jim, honest. :oops:

Working with tool steel is hard work compared to mild steel but (hard to explain) it takes cuts so much better. straight lines stay straighter somehow and scribed lines get filed to more accurately. It feels like the first grown - up plane I have made.

I have invested in 20 new hacksaw blades: the blades that I was soldiering on with in mild steel skated on tool steel. I've cracked out new files too.

The brass and bronze order finally arrived the other day and the rivets in the first 1 - 1/2" cher went in yesterday and it is now involved in what looks like a Bluminthal lasagne.

It is due to come out later today. The rivets are in "riveting brass" , 4mm diameter and I bought a yard of it. In the same order I got some phosphor bronze plate, 6mm x 8" x 13". I should get six soles out of it. Here is the first one:

I cut it off just to see how the metal cuts. Having been used to wrestling with the tool steel, it was softer but tough; easy to go off line with too much saw pressure but behaves well if taken slow.

I'll post pics of the lasagne as soon as it's cooked.

FWIW Lee Tools at Yapton, West Sussex, nr. Chichester, always has a selection of chunky pieces of brass and gunmetal, usually anything from 1/8" up to 2" in thickness. They don't stock standard lengths/thicknesses, so there's an element of pot luck. Always seem to have a wide selection of rounds, hexes and flats in both materials as well. I don't know how their pricing compares, but it is usually worth stopping for a look at their wide selection of 2nd. hand tools.
Fairly ramshackle buildings, but in the back there is an incredible selection of mostly woodworking tools, on display, not for sale. You can only press your nose against the window in amazement.

Thanks Bedrock but for once, I actually have enough metal. Sounds like an interesting place though.

That plane, out of the oil and with its rivets in.

"riveting brass" certainly lives up to its name. A joy to do with no cracking,

STUNNING RICHARD!!!

I'll bring HARRY to Richard's do and we can compare notes.

After using him for a week...I am a little unsure about the length of your (Nick's) iron though! :mrgreen:

Unless you have something up your sleeve (which you are likely to have with an iron that long...a sneck for example!!) :wink:

Superb workmanship!

On the topic of the Emporium de Sussex....I feel that we ought to have a trip to the seaside during the summer with a visit to that place!

Worth considering? I know it's slightly south of Watford but I can bring some sunblock for you guys!! :mrgreen:

Jimi

With a 2" iron sized plane there's not much choice other to use it with both hands - back hand on the scroll. The 1 - 1/2" iron brought the size of the whole of the plane down so much that there are 3 possibilities of holding it: One handed, two handed like the bigger plane and two handed with the back hands fingers on the scroll and the sneck in the palm.

I've seen smaller planes with irons much proportionally longer but I bet it amounts to the same reason. As they get smaller still, I suppose the scroll becomes redundant as a gripping point and one hand reaches from the sneck to the front infill.

I might find out if I ever get round to making a 1" iron plane. I have tried Bill's trick of cutting down an old Marples iron into two 1" irons ( and a bit left over.)

It wouldn't be snecked so the scroll would have to be adjusted to suit. ... We'll see.

If you're contemplating a raiding party south of the river, it might be worth stopping off at GM Tools, at Ashington, just off the A24, about 12 miles north of Worthing, whilst you are in the area. Access is a little difficult to find as it's on an unmade road. The building is an old factory, filled with 2nd hand engineering kit, hand tools, both engineering and woodworking, blacksmithing,etc..
They have advertised from time to time in F&C, and I think have a website.

Bedrock":l7btntav said:
If you're contemplating a raiding party south of the river, it might be worth stopping off at GM Tools, at Ashington, just off the A24, about 12 miles north of Worthing, whilst you are in the area. Access is a little difficult to find as it's on an unmade road. The building is an old factory, filled with 2nd hand engineering kit, hand tools, both engineering and woodworking, blacksmithing,etc..

I have bought from GM Tools quite a few times...they have auctions on FleaBay.

Don't they have something to do with the aforementioned emporium?

Jimi

Bedrock":1uogk06l said:

This link may help: http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/aboutus2.html

It has more pictures like these!

gandm_interior_10.jpg

gandm_interior_07.jpg

It's a lot brighter in the pictures. If you go in winter, wear your long johns - it's as cold as charity in there.
I didn't get the impression there is any connection between them and Yapton. I did mention one to the other when I was in last year, and did not get the impression that "they were on the same page."
Have I misunderstood your reference? If you meant beteween Ashington and the on line auction, then I don't know.

Mike

Latest posts

Back