Box Mitre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No wonder you were dancing earlier, now take a bow while we applaud

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

With the skew now being left handed you are probably searching for a left handed woodworker....

Well look no further...your search is over!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously though mate...they are stunning! Now the sun has come out I am definitely getting out, clearing up the workshop a tad and finishing off the panel plane! It's taken a while indeed!

Cheers my friend

Jimi

I thought you might say that Jim, in fact it was my first thought when I realised what I had done. :)

Can't wait to see how your panel is coming along when you clamber down from the heavens - are you still using the pippy Oak? Is it still the same size?

Skewed thinking.

I thought my mind was wandering when I cut the skewed sole left handed but chose to soldier on with it. Cut out a piece for the sides, marked it and cut out the bridge.

I did all this before I realised that the sole was in 3mm. (homer) (homer) (homer) What the hell was I thinking when I cut it? Why didn't I notice it was too thin when I was actually making it? ... just shows the befuddling nature of skew mouthed planes.

So I started on another sole - definitely 5mm this time and - sorry Jimi - right handed.

I used the sides I had already cut out; ground the marks off and re marked it for right handed and I reused the bridge just by flipping it over. I had looked at Bill C's skews and was mighty relieved to see that he does straight bridges but in a fit of bravery, decided to attempt a shaped one. I reckoned it would be easy if I could incorporate parallel tenons and so far so good.

Time and motion study.

I really must remember to make the body before the sole next time. When I had bent it, it just has enough sole at the back. A close thing.

Looks like the most inept pin spacing ...

I have hardened the irons for the other two and the smaller one is ground, sharpened and brass - snecked. Still no bronze or brass for rivets yet though - turns out the guy I was dealing with nicked off on his hols for a fortnight ... though it looks like there is a possibility of me getting some 1/4" gunmetal ... we shall see ....

There is little doubt now Richard that you have secured your place as a planemaker of some repute so I would contact Jane now to clear a place in the Ts for BPM X so that a proud owner in 2125 can find out who this genius was!

Flubbin lubbly!!

Jim

=D> =D> =D>

Looking really good Richard.
I'm amazed at the speed you put these things together.
Can't wait to see these in the flesh.
Will you be going to Richard Arnold's open day?

All the best.
Adam.

Thanks Jim, I don't know who or what that is but I'm sure you will fill me in.

We plan to go to Richard's get together Adam and I will bring them if I haven't sold them... :) there might be more by then though.

I'm getting along quicker now because I'm less scared of it and we didn't have a winter this year. It's no fun with brass monkeys in the shed.

I am very excited about opening up a piece of Lilac to fill this one. It is a big stump that I butted off for someone last summer that has split spectacularly but is so big (for Lilac) that finding bits in it for planes this size will be no probs but I have a new goal.

I was watching Bargain Hunt the other day and Tim W. was looking at something (tea caddy possibly) made from Mulberry. :shock: It looked like honey with jam and blueberries. Anyone every had any or used any? I will try Mike at Mac but I've never seen any there. Otherwise my only plan is to sneak into Newplace in Stratford in the small hours with a chainsaw ...

When is Richard Arnold's do? I'm sure Douglas and I will be wanting to make the pilgrimage!!!

BPM...British Plane Makers currently at Third Edition but soon to be Forth so I understand. THE bible for anyone into planes from the 1700s onwards.

Jane Rees compiles/edits it now.

Mulberry...isn't that used to make hollows and rounds....and rounds the....ok....weak joke...

Never heard of it being used for anything but sounds spectacular. Lilac is a dream wood...that piece i got from MAC that time we went...loved it.

DSC_2146.JPG

I reckon that would be sublime in one of your mitres...

DSC_2142.JPG

Take care mate...good on yer!!!

Jimi

jimi43":freyhx2o said:
........ Lilac is a dream wood...that piece i got from MAC that time we went...loved it.

Good job I've bothered to put some into drying mode then following the loss of two reasonable sized trees to recent storms. We'll see in 2-3 yrs time if it's anything like that pretty and useable.

CHJ":k5b4wa41 said:
jimi43":k5b4wa41 said:
........ Lilac is a dream wood...that piece i got from MAC that time we went...loved it.

Good job I've bothered to put some into drying mode then following the loss of two reasonable sized trees to recent storms then. We'll see in 2-3 yrs time if it's anything like that pretty and useable.

Apparently it does more splits than Olga Korbut but with a large piece you can pick and choose after a few years as you say.

The tiny bit I got from Mrs MAC was a little orphan she threw in free with some lovely huge burr oak I bought for RichardT's panel...yet to be finished so I had nothing to lose! Oh...and it was as dry as a post-Gobi camel's mouth!

Cheers

Jimi

Some of the Lilac including the lump of gnarled root stock (complete with a sample of Cotswold stone) that should have some interesting figuring if I can get it dried. Most pieces I bothered to store had dark heartwood.
DSCN4386L.jpg
DSCN4387L.jpg

Trying to stack as much of this winters wood supplies as tight as possible to keep the moisture gradient low and reduce splitting. Mainly Yew but some Beech, Holly, Laburnum and a bit of Hazel . Bulk of split logs are 400-500mm long.

Sorry for hijacking such an excellent WIP project, but even us humble turners may have an oddment of interesting timber lying about at times if needed.

Attachments

• DSCN4386L.jpg
    DSCN4386L.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 987
  • DSCN4387L.jpg
    DSCN4387L.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 987
  • DSCN4388L.jpg
    DSCN4388L.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 980
All I have left of what was supposed to be Mulberry Burl (Australian at least 20 yrs old)
Not a lot of Burl in any of it and the rest of the piece was full of micro cracks. Quite dense and hard, not enough for infill I guess unless it's a small frame.
Just enough to clean up to a 90mm cube.
DSCN4389L.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4389L.JPG
    DSCN4389L.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Thanks Chas, I'm after a bit of 'English' Mulberry though :) Nice looking wood collection - that Yew is really showing its pinkness.

And thanks for the offer Carl. I will certainly give them a bell in the week and ask and let you know. Also I'll point out that James I arrived on the throne in 1604. They'll like that. :-"

Here is my Lilac

Hand for scale

Serious crackage

And very interesting wibbly bits suggesting interesting grain -

- and serious stress.

When I butted it off it had been dead for years but was of course still doing plenty of capillary business. Maybe it's too soon to go ahead and cut infills or close to size but I will certainly go ahead next week and cut it into slabs and see how they behave.

They will like that I'm sure but might be better if you say 1603 :p

Kind Regards,
Mr Pedantic

Back