Zyto vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winezzzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with any info know it was made by S tyzack

Attachments

• 20210829_104934.jpg
    20210829_104934.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210829_104952.jpg
    20210829_104952.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210829_105049.jpg
    20210829_105049.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 31
Zyto was Tyzack's house brand (one of several AFAIK). The possibility is that it was made for them by someone like Rededa (it certainly resembles a Rededa product - and Rededa are known to have made vices and cramps for Wadkin in the 1930s) . From the late 1920s onwards they moved over more and more to being a wholesaler/distributor for manufacturers in much the way that Joseph Gleave did in Manchester (albeit Gleave was on a smaller scale). They did, however, have small manufacturing facility at Shoreditch and this is referred to in the Zyto Lathes page at Lathes.co.uk. There is also an interesting page on S Tyzack geneology at Tysick Genealogy.
Tyzack bought out Parry's in the 1960s and whilst the shop is still called Parry Tyzack the original family firm ceased to exist in 1989. I recall reading somewhere that whilst they stopped buying castings for lathes, saws and planers in about 1959 they continued to manufacture some machinery to order right up to the end

Last edited:
Zyto was Tyzack's house brand (one of several AFAIK). The possibility is that it was made for them by someone like Rededa (it certainly resembles a Rededa product - and Rededa are known to have made vices and cramps for Wadkin in the 1930s) . From the late 1920s onwards they moved over more and more to being a wholesaler/distributor for manufacturers in much the way that Joseph Gleave did in Manchester (albeit Gleave was on a smaller scale). They did, however, have small manufacturing facility at Shoreditch and this is referred to in the Zyto Lathes page at Lathes.co.uk. There is also an interesting page on S Tyzack geneology at Tysick Genealogy.
Tyzack bought out Parry's in the 1960s and whilst the shop is still called Parry Tyzack the original family firm ceased to exist in 1989. I recall reading somewhere that whilst they stopped buying castings for lathes, saws and planers in about 1959 they continued to manufacture some machinery to order right up to the end
Thanks that would make sense, the registration number is also on a rededa vice and a marples. Would love to find this vice listed in a catalogue, I already have a record 51 junior and just find it really useful when attached to a workmate, got a few more vices but they are to go on my workbenchs when I have built them.

...the registration number is also on a rededa vice and a marples.
In that case, given that Tyzack were more if a dealer than anything else after WWI, that W. Marples were also known to have bought in product (e.g. their Bailey-type planes, until the late 1940s), and that Rededa were specifically makers of cramps and vices who are known to have manufactured products for Wadkin, it might be reasonable to assume your vice was made by Rededa for S. Tyzack

BTW the "Buy British campaign" was a lot more than a campaign - we erected a tarriff wall (the 1931 Abnormal Importation Act) partly in response to American protectionism. Didn't Stanley buy J A Chapman in 1937?

Last edited:
In that case, given that Tyzack were more if a dealer than anything else after WWI, that W. Marples were also known to have bought in product (e.g. their Bailey-type planes, until the late 1940s), and that Rededa were specifically makers of cramps and vices who are known to have manufactured products for Wadkin, it might be reasonable to assume your vice was made by Rededa for S. Tyzack

BTW the "Buy British campaign" was a lot more than a campaign - we erected a tarriff wall (the 1931 Abnormal Importation Act) partly in response to American protectionism. Didn't Stanley buy J A Chapman in 1937?
Yes around that time I have a prestanley Acorn No.4
I have given the vice a bit of a clean up feels solid should be a good user for small projects, also looking at making a knockdown stool to use when on holiday.

Thanks for this - interesting - Tyzack's an interesting name too -- I once heard it came to Britain with the many French Huguenot craftspeople escaping to London to avoid persecution as non-Catholics (to the great benefit of skills in this country as with many waves of immigrants) - is this right?

Several branches of the family were making and selling tools in Sheffield and London at various times - as a youth in London (I'm a newcomer to Sheff - just been here since 1971) I remember a big Tyzack sign between Camberwell and London Bridge Station south of the river for tools of some kind. Here in Sheffield there are at least two old Tyzack works, (saws and ?Tyzack and Turner edge tools).

Yep, same family. The founder of the firm was originally from Sheffield.

I still have a couple of Tyzack & Turner "Nonpariel" saws, bought new when I was a lad. Quite nice saws in the hand

Cool thing. What do you plan to do with it, leave as it is, clean it or repaint it ?
Ive cleaned it and waxed it, going to be a user, i have a record 51 junior makes a workmate a much better workhorse
Cool thing. What do you plan to do with it, leave as it is, clean it or repaint it ?

Back