zircote bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
between egg cup disasters I grabbed a dull looking bowl blank labeled Ziracote, and played...

the shape was designed to emulate the swirling grain, and I think it worked.

5654246708_cc2b06b96f_o.jpg

the wood seemed to vary between almost coal dust and reasonably normal shavings while turning - tools seemed to need sharpening more frequently than usual though; is this normal for this wood?

after running through the abrasives, right up to a yellow Chesnut pad, the wood looked stunning - not sure that the sanding sealer and WW22 added anything (beyond some protection).

the finished piece is about 105mm x 45mm

critique welcome and appreciated

IMHO that's exactly what a bowl should do; the shape and finish perfectly showcase a beautiful piece of wood.

Looks good to me Jumps. The wood is something else and believe me wood is not as imple as some think. Some gives off dust, some long ribbons,some you could sharpen your gouges on and some destroy the edge in moments. So what you describe doesn't surprise me at all.

I like the shape and the stability. I have never been a fan of lightly ballanced kit that if you ever were to put anything in it it would fall over.

A quick google on zirocote give some iteresting info. It looks to be a lovely wood and you now have a lovely bowl from you bit! Thank you for showing it to us!

Thank you Mark and John for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back