Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphidius

Established Member
Reaction score
More of priming advice than finishing really lol
Anyone used the above to seal off MDF (yes I know its the Devils Fabric) but needs must.
I have used this product this evening and its pretty tacky and fast drying, left not too bad of a finish though a bit sketchy...
I will need to do another coat for sure....question is do I rub the first coat down before applying a second...mfg bumpf stats no need to rub down but I'm thinking it may be better if I do...(top coat will be emulsion paint then clear satin varnish).
Any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated before continuing
Regards
C

I used it on some alcove shelves and a unit I made from Mrmdf, did a good job sealing the edges, and the final finish was good - top coated in Dulux Satinwood by the client.

Thanks for that Setch....its dried better than it went on but I'm still going to give it a light sanding I think with a fine grade sponge.
I will let the folks know how I get on....it may help someone at some point..but so far so good

In general nothing needs to be rubbed down after the first coat except if you need to smooth the surface, e.g. if the grain raised on solid wood, the fluffy surface on MDF was hardened by the finish and it feels very rough, or because of dust nibs. But sanding isn't needed for the next coat of primer to bond or for the paint to stick properly if that was a concern.

If you are sanding to smooth you only need to sand very lightly. One or two passes with a fine sponge would normally suffice, any more than that and you're needlessly sanding off primer.

Thanks ED65...you are correct in saying that the MDF is a bit rough and maybe I was over enthusiastic around the open edges with the primer I would like to rid my piece of this roughness because I'm concerned about the finish coat of emulsion and satin clear varnish
..I purchased a couple of very fine sanding pads today so will give them a few light passes as you suggest before a second coat.

A light sanding has got rid of any over indulgent heavy strokes with the paintbrush and any defects and loose brush hair. Not a bad finish after 2 coats.
Its almost odourless and washes out with soapy water which truly pleases the War Department..lol....Nice coverage if a little thick if you clog the brush too much..but it does what it says on the tin and is fantastic on MDF...On to the fun part of my project...the actual painting..Will post pics when done

Back