your tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
well what do you want to happen to your tools when were to old or not here to use them its something we have to think about at some stage if my lads dont want them i think i will donate to a charity or an organisation for young woodworkers if there is such a thing i would hate to think that my pride and joy just sat in the workshop and rusted away .

what I want now is some one to work with do projects with when i'm older and more experienced would like to have a interested young woodworker help in my work shop the odd night or weekend he can have my tools when i die or am to old to use em! so in about 40 to 50 years this opportunity will be their for some one feel free to submit resumes for your future children's children :p

I thought recently, I have made five benches in my life time leaving them at the property just left but, lugging my vices and tools to the next house, so. When I go, how about being buried at sea and using all this heavy gear to stop the coffin from floating?

I know a good no profit charity shop, Tobytools foundation :)

On a serious note, I'm still as young and fresh as morning dew. But if I fell of the bench early doors then I would want my tools to be kept in the family as some where down the line someone will want them, I inherited my great grandads tools, not the best tools in the world but all the same it's family history.

TT

I want to pass them to my son who will hopefully develop as much of an interest (maybe with a little encouragement) in the craft as I have.

Matt

I support local charities & organisations in different ways, & it's likely that's where mine will go. My son isn't likely to be interested but my stepdaughter is in some things I have.
Could be a grandson/daughter though if I catch them early enough;)

My son is busy with his life at the moment, but when pre-teen enjoyed making bits with me. He has a couple of small pieces in his home that we made together. My daughter says he points them out to new visitors, although he's not told me that. I would love him to have everything I have but fear he won't develop my passion. It's a thought that has gone through my mind. I have even thought of cataloging everything with approximate values to make it easy for my wife or whoever to sell them. I'm mid fifties and intend to live till 99. My wife is 7 years younger so will probably out-live me. By then I doubt she'll want to be bothered so it will be down to the kids I hope they share it all amongst them.
For those who are unaware, the guy in my avatar is my great grandfather, he was a Journeyman Joiner. The only thing of his that I own is a coffin woody dating back to his era (I think it was his, it came from my dad who wasn't a workshop type). I often think it would be nice if I had a few more of his things and could enjoy using them knowing he made his living with them.

I was hoping my son would take an interest but, so far, nothing. As he is only 12 weeks old I may be expecting a bit too much too soon. :wink:

It's a bit awkward really. If you've got a son/daughter who's into woodworking, chances are that they'll have already bought tools cause they'll need them. So by the time you're ready to pop off, they won't need half of the tools you have.

I know for a fact that my Grandad has lots of kit he doesn't use, he's 91. Which I would. I've asked him for some of them (admittedly in a rather roundabout way) and he's not offered them up. So I'm happy just to let them moulder at his house. Well not happy, but that's what's happening.

I hope that if I go before Mrs T, she will be well enough provided for without having to rely on selling my tools. There are quite a lot of them, and probably more than any family member would want or have space for. Would it matter if they were sold off for a bit less than the maximum possible prices? Not really - especially if they went to someone like me a few years ago, who would have been thrilled to get a bargain.
I'll have had my money's worth.

I think I would like either (or both) of my sons to have them. The power tools I dont really care about, but there are some really quite nice (and some reasonably old) chisels, saws and planes lurking in my garage. I like the idea that tools have a life beyond that of the original owner, a couple of the planes I have already have 2-3 names stamped on them, and a couple of woodies that belonged to my mums' dad, who died before I was born.
So, I wouldnt like them sold or donated, but rather kept in the family.

Adam

Heyup Lurcher

Do tools ever become heirloom's ? surely not, that status is for ornaments isn't it ? tools are for using

Personally, and this might be a bit crude, but I don't care what happens to my tools after I'm gone unless someone in the family is likely to use them - if they're not going to get used by family, sell em on and raise some cash - just don't tell me how much you took for them when/if you visit the area I want spreading on :)

I've left everthing that I own to my little Sis, to be distributed or disposed of as she sees fit - that should ensure that any tools, cameras, records, fishing tackle etc. etc. will go to either family or friends that will appreciate them.

My hairy, scary Land Rover V8 special is a different matter however - I'm taking it with me!

It depends on the tools. I am only interested in making top quality furniture (not always as well as I would like) so have equipped myself over the years with a good collection of high quality tools. I figure the best place for these is with an organisation that trains young people to work at that level rather than with amore general tools charity. For this reason, I intend to leave them to the Edward Barnsley Workshop http://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk/superbasket/about which is a charitable trust training young apprentices to the highest standards. It would be nice to think that my tools would be used to produce furniture to a higher standard than I am capable of.

Jim

hi what a great question =D>
it is something i have thought about i have two boys but not sure either would use them one is office bound (not that practical )and the other is more into spraying than wood although he does show some interest,
but i don't rely mind who has them but i would like them to be used and not left in the shed to rust away
if that is the case i would rather they got sold to someone keen to use them (not to someone trying to make a fast buck!)
pip

This is a subject that has I have been giving some thought to over the last few weeks because I shall be writing a will very shortly when my daughter and son-in law completes the final legal processes of adoption of two children who will become my (only) grandchildern. I have asked my son-in law if he would like the tools but he has not not expressed any interest in the tools.

I would interested in passing them on to an organisation who can put them to some good use if one can be identified- otherwise I suspect they will sold at auction - there are too many to sell on t'bay (probably a hundred lots if it is done properly).

If anybody has any useful ideas I would like to hear them.

--------Thanks---------Arnold

RossJarvis":xlunz9yq said:
I came across this organisation.

http://menssheds.org.uk

I've not read much about it, but donating to those, particularly in low income areas would possibly be a good idea.

I've just looked at that site, and I think it's a great idea - I wonder how difficult it might be to set one up in Bristol?

It's a thought. Though I hope I'm not about to be parted from my tools just yet! It would break my heart if the same fate befell them as what happened to the cabinet-maker's tools that got given to a friend of mine - he left them in a damp shed where the worm took most of the wooden planes. Some of the metal ones ended up being dripped on by a leaking roof. A gorgeous infill plane, almost rotted and completely rusted, Preston spokeshaves rusted solid, chisels bashed with hammers, used as screwdrivers and paint tin openers ... I could go on.

The most I could hope for is for them to go to someone who might appreciate them and use them for the purpose they were intended, whether a relative or not.

Back