Your Most Pedestrian Piece of Furniture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was in grade school, probably about 8, my parents got this dresser for me from an unfinished furniture store in town (Gettysburg, PA). The strange thing about this store was that they actually made the furniture in the store, on a very busy street. Gettysburg isn't London, so it's not like you couldn't have a business there, but you'd really have to have loved the business to run it like these folks did.

I can't remember if you could get finished furniture or not, but my parents specialized in one type of furniture - white pine with brown stain. If they didn't buy furniture, we got white pine at the lumber yard and nailed it together and put discard hardware on it, possibly small stamp brass hardware from the lumber yard if it was something "nice".

I used this small chest of drawers for years every day, then my daughter did, and now my son does. It is so light that it's actually nice to use and move around. I've thought several times about building something nice out of Cherry to replace it, but I don't think I will. Aside from the little plastic stops in this, there's very little wear on it because nothing in it weighs enough to wear any other part quickly.

https://s29.postimg.org/g3vul6mhj/20161224_170301.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/v2xk6ux4l/20161224_142339.jpg

Is it boring - well in the nicest possible way yes. Is anything special - errm no. And so what of it, it means something to you, it has a back story and that's its value. My mum still uses the crappy beech spatula I made over 30 years ago (come to think of it it can't of been that crappy to last 30 years of family use) I know she loves it and tbh so do I.

Boring, of course, special, definitely not (especially as it was purchased). it's not so much sentimentality (it would be on the curb if I had no use for it) as my curiosity that as loosely as it's made, it's held up.

I guess the world of RTA furniture and chinese imports has eliminated the mom and pop unfinished furniture places.

I do have the first thing I made without assistance - it's a horrible chisel rack with dovetails made in 4/4 oak. I would throw it away in a second if I had something else for the chisels to go in!

Think I have that beat, certainly in the colour department.

My Grandparents were married in the early 40's so this is part of their bedroom suite they purchased, its known as "Utility"

utility.JPG

pic borrowed from here
http://theroyalwindsorforum.yuku.com/to ... F8OQ7mmmTc

Have the none mirror version and tallboy in my hall, truly hideous colour.

Attachments

• utility.JPG
    utility.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,478
Hi David

I made a very similar piece for my son about 12 years ago ...

A%20Chest%20of%20Drawers%20for%20Jamie_html_175f21d6.jpg

It is a simple Shaker style, and the design is so non-offensive that it fits in with just about everything.

That the piece endures is more about the construction than the design. FIrstly, it does not use veneered MDF as IKEA or many derivations would.

Secondly, construction is not based on self-tapping screws or bolts that work loose over time. Decent joinery is important to longevity. This piece used Radiata Pine, my least favourite wood.

A%20Chest%20of%20Drawers%20for%20Jamie_html_181c73be.jpg

What is the construction of yours?

Best wishes for the Festive Season

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek - the drawers are pinned together pine, the entire thing is white pine except for the drawer bottoms and the back (which are some indeterminate material). The bearers are dovetailed into the case sides and the runners are dadoed into the sides of the case. It's not precisely made, but it is something that shouldn't fall apart, and unlike RTA things we've gotten from Ikea, it will never sag under its own weight.

The whole thing is 1/2 inch pine, but not of any decent grade. I can vaguely recall the local lumber yard back then, which I'd assume supplied this place - it's been so long and I was young, I just barely remember the trip.

Yours is quite nice, actually. I'd be proud to have something like that in my kids' room as a dresser, far nicer than what I showed, which was likely the lowest cost item that wasn't what we'll call wal mart pressed dust.

My father bought a very utilitarian looking tall chest of drawers (almost a tallboy) from an army surplus place when he first got married, apparently used to reside in Officers Quaters, which could well be true going from the lack of hard wear, but either way that was 54 years ago and still looks pretty damn good now. Don't think it's pine, but otherwise not sure.

I'ts currently in the guest room, and I've told my father that of all the things he owns, that ones coming to me when the time comes.

Don't have a photo, but if you are desperate I could get him to send me one.

It's interesting you bring this up though as only yesterday I had a conversation with a friend thinking of replacing an old "shakerish" style hardwood occasional table, with "something newer from Ikea".

He told me his budget was about £100, and I said he was being an silly person, because that hardwood table was probably already close to 100 years old and would last another 100 and he was wasting his money.

My point being this "pedestrian" furniture bought by fathers and grandfathers is still here many decades later.

G S Haydon":2zvcbf8w said:
I actually like the look of Utility stuff Mr P, got a book around that belonged to my Grandfather that's full of designs. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Practical-Home-W ... SwZJBYBwTh

Must admit, although the designs will not be to everyone's approval their section on tools and joints is superior to any modern offering.

Hello,

I was brought up with that book, mine was my dad's probably his dad's before him. Before it fell apart completely, it still had crayon drawn ' designs' in the fly leaves from when I was a baby nearly 50 years ago. Loved that book so much I got another copy a couple of years ago. It is so dense with information it is amazing and the joinery is fabulous. TBH the designs are not as old fashioned as they first appear. The drawn illustrations make them look really dated, but with just a little tweaking, those simple utilitarian pieces can be brought bang up to date. But if someone were to follow the joinery involved they would end up with bullet proof, simple and ageless furniture. I must admit, the joinery in my furniture is always of this sort of solid type, and although I have never copied a piece from the book, I like designing my own, I can't help thinking that a lot of what I do was inspired by the decades of looking at the books illustrations and techniques.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I think my Grandfather's furniture was influenced by the book. There is a dresser, cupboard, dressing tables and bedside table made with its influence. His were also not verbatim, his had a bit more vernacular direction, but once I'd red the book and looked at what he'd made the influence was clear. I totally agree on the bullet proof construction detailed.

Not much to add, except to agree with Mike and Graham. I bought my copy of that book when I was beginning to get into proper woodworking. It's useful for describing some of the important basics such as stance when sawing or which way up to hold the chisel when cutting a joint. I recommend it to any beginner - it's pretty easy to find cheap.

As for Utility furniture, it's what I grew up with and then bought second hand when furnishing first flats etc in the 80s. The designs were done by people who knew what they were about and have survived decades of use really well, changes in fashion maybe not so well.

Two different beasts, but for me, both Utility and 1940s ex-military stuff takes some beating. Simple but robust designs, generally careful selection of timber for each piece and, apart from the idiocies of "fashion", perfectly useable for several generations.

woodbrains":1gyaaq02 said:
Hello,

I was brought up with that book, mine was my dad's probably his dad's before him. Before it fell apart completely, it still had crayon drawn ' designs' in the fly leaves from when I was a baby nearly 50 years ago. Loved that book so much I got another copy a couple of years ago. It is so dense with information it is amazing and the joinery is fabulous. TBH the designs are not as old fashioned as they first appear. The drawn illustrations make them look really dated, but with just a little tweaking, those simple utilitarian pieces can be brought bang up to date. But if someone were to follow the joinery involved they would end up with bullet proof, simple and ageless furniture. I must admit, the joinery in my furniture is always of this sort of solid type, and although I have never copied a piece from the book, I like designing my own, I can't help thinking that a lot of what I do was inspired by the decades of looking at the books illustrations and techniques.

Mike.

Based on the testimonies above I've just bought a copy, sounds like a very good reference guide.

Back