Your latest purchase hidden from SWMBO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a little bit of a lame post and I feel the manliness leaving me as I type. But what was your last tool or other woodworking purchase that you hid from SWMBO.

Got to add that that mine is generally quite receptive, however......
Mine was 12 Bessey clamps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never hide anything I buy from my wife. She's happy for me to get whatever I/we can afford and usually takes a mild interest in my new toy (or puts on a good act :) ).

Rog

Like RogerP, the war department and I never hide or disguise our purchases. If you have the money get the kids to buy it for you, after all they will inherit them. 8) :wink:

Richard

Me too. I never talked about purchases in advance, except for expensive items. Sometimes there would be a 'do you really need this' moment, but generally there was no objection. The only ifs or buts I get these days are the questions about how much longer do I think I can carry on woodworking anyhow. At the moment a stubborn leg ulcer is stopping me, but when I know the answer folks, I shall be having either a 'garage sale' or a grand re-opening do!

Regards

:D

We only have joint accounts, so I could not hide it (the cost) if I wanted to.
She sometimes asks why I "need" another plane or camera or whatever but thats as far as it goes

doesn't happen in our house. I think about every purchase I make pretty much, even the £10 buys, I obsess and talk about it till I get it, then I obsess about making the best I can, then I use it over and over again till it dies, then the spiral starts again. my wife is the person I talk to about it, even if she isn't interested.

right now I want to buy a new key of C harmonica, it's only £16 but I'm still uming and aring about it.

In our house I tend to be the one who spends the money. I don't generally discuss small purchases with Swmbo but anything serious I would. We buy stuff for the house together (like a new dishwasher recently). I don't hide anything from her. She will spend money on the kids but very little on herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I think my Mrs. is allergic to money, at times she seems [to me] to make concerted efforts to rid herself of it, but due to joint accounts that also includes mine.
During one of these thankfully infrequent periods I occasionally get the childish urge to retaliate by treating myself to something I fancy but could do without.
But then common sense kicks in as I remember that I'd be retaliating against myself too.

Luckily these are rare forays into dysfunction, we are open about purchases and my most recent was one of those cheap but good Katsu routers, which she thought was a good idea.

My missus is a member on here....... so no, I've never bought a tool and hidden it from SWMBO :shock:

I don't hide purchases but my wife, like Monkeybiter's perhaps, has always been allergic to money so tends to query my higher value spending as it deprives her of an opportunity to 'help me' spend it :)

SWMBO had a tough time as a kid for a while when her dad's business failed and they had to keep moving from home-to-home and school-to-school. So the rule for me is simple, as long as it does not put the family home at risk, buy whatever keeps you happy.

Terry.

For me this is a trade off. She is addicted to buying garden plants and we both moderate our habit for marital harmony. Big stuff we discuss and agree (e.g. new bandsaw). Small stuff I just get. She sees that every weekend I fix stuff that she wants fixed (our house is a doer upper) so by and large she is happy with spend on tools, wood and metal. Or she is a very convincing liar...

Bah. Women are like planes they come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes and I wouldn't be prepared to commit to just one for the rest of my life.

AJB Temple":2buwahgr said:
She is addicted to buying garden plants ...

I have a work colleague whose wife has a national collection of snowdrops.
I once saw him close to tears when he heard she had spent £80 .........for........one...........single...........bulb :lol:

Back