your help required pricing 3 old metal wood planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been ask by a friend to price up and sell three very old metal wood planes . these have been fully restored to original glory and if i had the money id buy them myself . as they are a very nice find, he is selling them to buy a computer and join the world wide web
i've got some photos of them and will post them in due course , he has ask me to sell them on ebay , however these planes really need to go to worthy homes where they will be looked after
all three planes have been lovingly restored and would look excellent as a part of any collection , the model numbers are as follows

1, stanley bedrock no 607 jointer plane
Early type, two screws hold frog in position
length 22" width 3" lettering/numbers cast onto plane body at back of plane PATD.APR-2-95 {this is 1895}
stamped onto plane cutting iron "stanley PAT APR. 19-02 {this is 1902}
cast into lever cap "stanley R&L Co BEDROCK
this plane has been fully restored using the original parts that came with it .fitted with rosewood {dark}handles , short hand knob at front
very fine condition , no bits broken off or weld repairs . all screw heads in good condition.

2, stanley/bailey no 7 jointer plane
lenght 22" width 3" lettering/numbers cast into plane body, Front BAILEY at rear No7 . cast into body at front of rear handle PATD. MAR-26-06 AUG-19-02 APR 19-10
Cast into lever cap "stanley" kidney shaped slot on cap iron
fully restored using original parts that came with the plane . very fine condition . no bits broken off or weld repairs. All screw heads in good condition

3, stanley no 8 jointer plane
length 23 3/4" width 3" cast number on body NO8 at front
stamping on lateral adjustment lever . STANLEY PAT 72488{as far as you can make out}
rosewood dark handles short hand knob at front
fully restored using original parts that came with the plane
very nice condition . no bits broken off or weld repairs . All screw heads in good condition
photos can be seen here
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 1529&idx=1
i hope

ill post the photos later for you all to see
trust me when i say that i stood in ore at these planes and they can only be described as excellent and highly collectable
all help welcomed on pricing
regards
mel[/img]

I would like to know about the stanley no 8 jointer plane when you have a price (sorry I cant help with that and dont want to give a silly price ) :)
Thanks

A few points:
  • 1. Can't do a thing without pictures.
    2. Your "fully restored" might be my "OMG, why did you do that?!".
    3. If they're restored their not collectable; they're pretty users.
    4. To give a value I'd do a search through completed Ebay auctions and a long look at all the tool dealer sites and make the necessary adjustments for condition and so forth. This takes time, so I suggest you start soonest.
    5. At the risk of sounding like Todd Hughes, I'm not sure why the folks on Ebay wouldn't be worthy homes?
    6. And finally, if it's a For Sale, make it a For Sale and say so. This half and half thing is just daft. If I want to buy them what's to stop me saying they're worth virtually nothing? You wouldn't believe me, right? So presumably you have an idea of what you think they're worth. So price them accordingly.
Cheers, Alf

Now you have posted more info on the No8 ( it has low knob at the front \:D/ ), it would go with my No4 , No4 1/2 and No6 low knob :lol: .
So I would like first refusely. please
I will have a look at ebay to see what there are going for and make an offer :-k ( I have been looking at getting a No8 )

pictures now hosted on an appropriate server
im sure it was easier last time i did it :?
all the info i have is in the first post
Alf , you forgot to mention in your rampant moan
that it is only worth what the buyer will pay , so i suppose it would better to list them on ebay .
as there are a lot of plane collectors i thought it best to have a go selling them on here first , but would still need a rough price guide either way
regards
mel

mel and john":30bnql3z said:
SNIP...
so i suppose it would better to list them on ebay .
as there are a lot of plane collectors i thought it best to have a go selling them on here first , but would still need a rough price guide either way
regards
mel
Sorry Mel,

From looking at the pictures, a collector will not be purchasing them. But a user, here or eBay will.

On eBay, it is the bidding which will determine the "value," at least at that point in time with bidders willing to buy them. I would start with a low opening and place a reserve based upon about 50% of the average your own investigation of what eBay and dealer prices are.

It is a bit unfair to place someone in the position of giving you a price you may refuse and then what? They keep raising until you say yes?

As Alf said, pick a price you think is fair and post it. Someone here will either buy it or not.

Take care, Mike

Hi Mel, just to let you know that the cap on the No7 is a new one and should be like the one on the No8 ( I have Jim Kingshott's book on making planes and it tells you what planes should have what ).
Its the same age as my No6
I hope this helps and you have a pm :)

And the adjustment wheel should be a small one too ( is the wheel on the No8 a small one ? ), looks like it been changed

colin c you have pm
and yes the wheel that adjusts the blade is the small wheel

looks like ebay will be the the place for these

Shouldn't the bedrock have flat sides at the side of the frog, rather than the rounded as on a bailey type plane?

Matt.

matt
i think that feature came a bit later
however i would stand corrected
mel

Matt1245":ko815bop said:
Shouldn't the bedrock have flat sides at the side of the frog, rather than the rounded as on a bailey type plane?

Matt.
I could have sworn it was Bailey with a Bedrock lever cap, looking at the adjustment. But then I saw this. one lives and learns...

Without the information on the lateral adjustment levers I can't narrow it down, and the pictures are very dark which isn't helping much, but I'm getting the distinct impression your buddy has potentially over-buffed a Type 1, 2 or 3 Bedrock. Oh deary me... Not the most desirable variety for users because of the standard Bailey frog adjustment, as Peter noticed. I'm not a collector, but I get the feeling collectors might not be too keen on a "restored" example either. :?

Cheers, Alf

I just edited my ignorant rantings! I was hoping nobody would have noticed I knew nothing about early Bedrocks, but Alf beat me by a couple of minutes.

Re c*ll*ctors not being keen - Good! one more for the rest of us to use. In fact if anyone wants to over-buff, flatten and repaint a Stanley #1 I would probably take first refusal on it. (must remember not to log on before breakfast again! :evil: )

Back