You lucky, lucky......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cerbie,
I have had the same problem here in Ireland. The tools are a lot more expensive than in the UK. It's all about demand I guess.
Anyway, don't despair, I can only advise you to keep looking. Over time I have found that there are many places to buy from, however finding them is the challenge.
I also have imported from the UK, from axminster. You can pay the delivery and still be cheaper than in France.

Keep looking...
Last time I was visiting my family, I came across a tool shop I didn't know of before. They were selling a lot of machinery and had them on display. Expensive no doubt. Too far for you as it's in La Ferté-bernard in La Sarthe (72).

Why don't you contact local professional menuisier and ask them for retailer contacts?
Over time you will find more and more places.

promhandicam advise is also rather good :wink: :p

cerbie

You're only 100 miles from me (which ain't a lot out in the sticks here!)

For future ref (for what it's worth) the £300 I mentioned earlier is about right for shipping a tablesaw (or T/S & benchtop morticer) from Axminster to France. The morticer on it's own would be about £50 to ship. I have previous experience in shipping these very items :roll: :D

If you're ever thinking of shipping machinery over on a pallet give's a shout. We might be able to share the cost of shipment if I've had a mad rush of blood to the head and decided I could hide another machine from SWMBO ... :D

There's also Luker Bros of Oxford. Removal firm that run a weekly service between Geneva and UK. They pass my door (drivers sometimes stop at the truckers bar up on the main road anyway) and maybe not too far from yours(?). I never actually got round to making enquiries with them but I suspect they may be horrendously expensive as they generally cater for relocation of UN ex-pat types that are having all their relocation expenses paid by the UN. I have it in the back of my mind anyway as a possible shipping method.

Probably the standard parcel carriers would be cheaper.

I've also considered driving up and through the tunnel but, having ridden that road countless times on a 600cc sportsbike with my feet up my jacksy for 500 miles I'm going off the whole idea of driving the length of France in any sort of vehicle!

Best o' luck in your quest for cheap machinery! :wink:

Thanks for the info Scott.

100 miles, not that far by standards here - strange how quickly you assimilate into that frame of mind?

As for carriage of goods, I have an inhouse freight forwarder !!, but if the 2 of us combined ?? trouble is, I now have to replenish the wallet, so further purchase is some time off.

P.S.
whats the weather like where you are - the workshop here is stuck at minus 2 at the moment.

Hi Cerbie,

Welcome to the forum. A friendlier more knowledgeable bunch you'll be hard to find on any other forum. :D

Being currently in Eastern Europe I know what you mean about high prices and poor service 'tho I'll put money on you getting at least some customer service in France. In Czechland there is no customer service & I don't think there is a phrase in the Czech language for Customer Service :cry:

I can ship a cubic metre (And up to 100Kgs.) for 70 quid UK to CZ so I tend to save up my requirements and ship two or three times a year. I was also considering going to France to buy timber so if you find any yards around you please post up details.

cerbie":15rti7e0 said:
whats the weather like where you are - the workshop here is stuck at minus 2 at the moment.

Wet and mild at the moment but I'm on a ship in the Irish Sea at the moment! :D

Won't be home until Tuesday but SWMBO said it was -9 the other day so I guess my gaff will be about -2 as well at the moment.

Losos":15rti7e0 said:
I can ship a cubic metre (And up to 100Kgs.) for 70 quid UK to CZ

Losos,

Mind if I ask who you use?

What kind of timber you looking for?

Scott

I'll send you a PM shortly, they are the UK partners of P&P who are the Czech end as it were.

I'm looking for Oak. I was told that France has quite a lot of this. Also Cherry and Walniut if it's available.

Welcome Cerbie. we have good holiday times in France and with the twinning (Avranches). Ooooh! Laslos! can you post me a big Rojek panel saw, or does Axminster have them cheaper :shock:

:lol: ...... anozza brottle plish

Back