You don't see one of these every day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw a tornado the other day :shock: Was watching a very large thunder cloud pass by at about 1100 am on Wednesday and noticed some small ragged-looking white coloured clouds had come out of the bottom of the cloud and started to rotate quite rapidly. A small dark rope-like tornado formed in the middle with the light clouds rotating around it very rapidly. It sort of snaked about for a few minutes before dissapearing. It didn't reach the ground or anything and it looked quite small, but it was still very impressive to see. I took this photo of it; its not very clear. Its the sort of rope shaped object that I've ringed. I took video of it as well, but I was using a really naff phone (SWIMBO washed my other phone in the washing machine :evil: ) and you can't make anything out on the video.

3728895885_f73661cfd9_o.jpg

I know the photo is pretty rubbish and could be a photo of anything...but it was definitely a tornado 8)

I havent seen a proper tornado yet, only a few wispy things spinning across a field in the summertime.
Not long ago i saw some amazing pictures from a friend who was at a fishing lake and just sat back and looked at one for about 10 mins .
If it doesnt touch the ground, i believe theyre called funnel clouds?

Did you know that we in Britain have the highest tornado density in the world? We don't often get the big dramatic ones, but, for the size of our country, we do have the highest number per square mile per year.

Ooh, I'm full of useless information.

S

Interesting. There were tornadoes around here the other day. did some damage where they touched down. Seems like a fairly common thing for us. Look out when the clouds turn green.

technolocally its not a tornado till it touches down :p but i know what you mean

we had a cool thunder storm last night

Steve Jones":you85pdi said:
Interesting picture Dave, have a look at http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/ there may be some pictures within the forums if anyone else in your area saw it.

Steve :)

Took a quick look at those forums. It seems what I saw was a 'Rope Funnel Cloud' and not a tornado. I stand corrected :D Also, compared to most of the photos on the forum, mine's a bit naff :oops: But it was still pretty cool to watch 8)

If you can see a Tornado your way to close....get outa there fast,and into a depression (hole in the ground) I saw the aftermath of the Plainefield Illinois Tornado of 1987.It sucked all of the water out of an in the ground pool,and flatten all of the houses for 8 square blocks area.It was not the biggest but the only one I ever saw...I have seen them on T.V. of coarse but not up close.

Back