York Minster timber sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have a look down. It would make quite the provenance to make some pens from 14th c minster oak

wallace":1b4p5sr1 said:
It would make quite the provenance to make some pens from 14th c minster oak
Given that they retail their own pens made from their own Oak, you might find that there are conditions of sale that exclude reselling it.

Presumably it's the outer surfaces of the timber that is damaged? I might be interested in small amounts but not sure I can make the 14 th.

Rhossydd":2ktbtxr9 said:
wallace":2ktbtxr9 said:
It would make quite the provenance to make some pens from 14th c minster oak
Given that they retail their own pens made from their own Oak, you might find that there are conditions of sale that exclude reselling it.
That would be impossible to enforce even if they could do it, which I cant imagine them doing anyway.

You won't be able to sell them as York Minster Oak pens but I doubt that they will be able to stop someone selling pens made from York Minster Oak, if you know what I mean!

acewoodturner":3oviak3a said:
That would be impossible to enforce even if they could do it
It would be unwise to be complacent about that. Trading standards are known to keep an eye on craft and boot fairs, any suspicious claims can be checked easily enough. Similarly internet advertising is easily checked too.
which I cant imagine them doing anyway
Large organisations including ecclesiastical buildings do control their IP carefully, you'll note York Minster doesn't allow commercial photography or sound recording without consent.

I'm not saying they will add terms and conditions to their auction, but it will be worth checking before bidding if you expect to use the materials for commercial purposes.

You can make anything you like from the wood that you want to make. Thats the point I was making after you said you might not be able to make pens from it. IP has nothing to do with it if you are just saying the wood was from York Minster. You would have a certificate to prove you bought some wood. IP will only come into it if you are using their logos or branding without permission. Trading Standards would have nothing to do with it as it is a civil matter for the courts where they would sue you. Trading Standards at craft fairs are more interested in people selling fake jewellery and items that are dangerous etc.
As someone who works with a lot of blue chip clients and their logos on a daily basis, I have to be familiar with the rules and regs on this matter otherwise I would find myself in court regularly.
If someone wishes to find out the hard way about this issue try making a few items with Disney characters on them and stick them on a few well known selling sites! I know of someone who did this and has not only lost their business as a result, but they have also lost their house as well. Not worth it.

Mike

The whole point of buying the Oak. . . is because it's from York Minster and perhaps because it's 500 years old. Presumably it might sell for a bit more than your average Oak found in a timber yard. What would be the point in buying it and using it if you couldn't state it was from York Minster? You may as well buy the stuff from the nearest Oak timber merchants.
I wouldn't mind making a Plane or two from the York Oak, if someone here manages to buy some. A York Minster Oak plane. . . Ooops, I mean a Plane made from York Minster Oak.

MIGNAL":wgp7h33g said:
What would be the point in buying it and using it if you couldn't state it was from York Minster?
It's not being particularly sold as something to reuse for commercial gain as a timber merchant would.

Consider the ethics of buying something from a charity like this and then reusing it to make an identical product to the one the charity sells for it's self, but for your own personal gain. <cue thunderbolt>

You also have to consider the fact that it isnt any old oak and that it is expensive old oak from York Minster. This to me means that it is ideal for making smaller items such as pens and would have a good marketing point as well

acewoodturner":2aasuv5b said:
You can make anything you like from the wood that you want to make. Thats the point I was making after you said you might not be able to make pens from it.
The aspect to look at is the contract of sale and any terms that might be included.
It's possible that as a condition of the sale the materials couldn't be re-purposed or resold using the York Minster 'brand' in any way.

But 2 points still remain:
a) They are selling it using it's provenance as a selling point (therefore hopefully gaining a higher price)
b) although now regarded as a charity, the sky pilot brigade have never been backwards at coming forwards when it comes to fairly sharp (in my opinion) business/money making practices, ie; give us your money and we'll let you into the happy hunting gorunds etc

So it would be a bit hypocritical of them to use the fact it's York Minster Oak and not allow any one else to state that fact if they make something from it to sell

edited for typo

If that's the case I'll just state that it's Oak, some 500 years old, reclaimed from a Minster in the centre of York that suffered fire damage in the mid 1980's! :D :D Stick that to their lawyers. Crikey, I only wanted to make a copy of a 500 year old Plane using 500 year old wood.

Mignal what about 500 year old tools and techniques?

Latest posts

Back