Yew ready for use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnr77

Established Member
Reaction score
I aquired some nice pieces of Yew today, been lying on the ground for 3-4 months but had apparently been standing dead for some years ( at least 3) before felling.

It seems pretty dry when cut through, any ideas on it's current usability or drying rate? Don't have a moisture metre to check it.

Put a piece in a plastic bag and see how much moisture collects on the inner surface, turn the bag inside out each day, when the wood stops shedding moisture then it's probably dry enough.

I got me hands on a load of Yew a few years ago now,which had been left on the ground for 18-24 months,and most of it was fine inside,with just minor splits on the end of the logs,which i just cut off when i turned it.I still have some of it now :D

Paul.J":7eoj8ayt said:
I got me hands on a load of Yew a few years ago now,which had been left on the ground for 18-24 months,and most of it was fine inside,with just minor splits on the end of the logs,which i just cut off when i turned it.I still have some of it now :D

I have two pieces of it left as well :lol:

Pete

or cut a bit off - weigh it , then dry it in the oven (while swimbo is out preferably) then weigh it again - deduct from the first figure to give you the moisture content.

Latest posts

Back